Speculation: Leafs and Habs interested in Josh Anderson (CBJ).

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I imagine anyone who finds themselves on the fourth line for a game would be unhappy. He played one game there. And played the most minutes of any of our "fourth liners" in that game by a large margin - he had nearly 12 minutes, while Sedlak and Milano were both around 8.

Sometimes coaches coach, y'know.

Granted I havent watched many CBJ jackets game yet and don't know much of what going on with that team but I just find it hard to believe that Josh Anderson playing in the 4th line for the first time this season (which happened to be today)...would warrant its own discussion on the HNIC panel.

HNIC panel gathers info from the whole week and tries to get as many tid bits out. There's no way they saw Josh Anderson playing on the 4th line today, and thought "he's probably unhappy, let give him his own 30 sec segment"

There has to be something they've heard behind the scenes throughout the week, which warranted the discussion.

Maybe, you're right and its much ado about nothing but comparing his Value to Nylander just seems reactionary to me.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What are Columbus’s D pairs? Would they be interested in someone like Braun? I know they have Jones and Savard on the right but isn’t Jones hurt right now? If their 3RD isn’t good (I have no idea who it is off the top of my head) maybe something around Braun and Anderson? My thinking is CLB solidifies their D while only giving away someone who obviously already has a replacement.
The #3RD is Nutivaara. We used to worry about injuries there, but then Clendening came along.

Reactions: Gecklund

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Granted I havent watched many CBJ jackets game yet and don't know much of what going on with that team but I just find it hard to believe that Josh Anderson playing in the 4th line for the first time this season (which happened to be today)...would warrant its own discussion on the HNIC panel.

HNIC panel gathers info from the whole week and tries to get as many tid bits out. There's no way they saw Josh Anderson playing on the 4th line today, and thought "he's probably unhappy, let give him his own 30 sec segment"
I positively guarantee you that that's all there is. You see "HNIC panel" and I see "Nick Kypreos bloviating again and bringing shame to the HNIC name."

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I positively guarantee you that that's all there is. You see "HNIC panel" and I see "Nick Kypreos bloviating again and bringing shame to the HNIC name."

lmao fair enough. But I genuinely think there's something there.

I just wish we could go over some value trade deals, other than just Nylander or Bust.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

I just wish we could go over some value trade deals, other than just Nylander or Bust.
Its just we dont really need anything but an upgrade currently outside of injuries. When healed we are pretty solid. Anderson is only playing low line to roll 4 lines. He never played pp or higher then 3rd line 2 years ago and almost put up 20 he was 2 short I think. He played last year top line while Cam was hurt and struggling but since cam healed and signed he has been great which slides Anderson. The only type we need is game breakers. So Anderson we have 0 reason to move unless we get that. Anderson for a similar yet lesser guy and. Pick makes 0 sense.

Nylander is really the only logical player it would make sense for.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Its just we dont really need anything but an upgrade currently outside of injuries. When healed we are pretty solid. Anderson is only playing low line to roll 4 lines. He never played pp or higher then 3rd line 2 years ago and almost put up 20 he was 2 short I think. He played last year top line while Cam was hurt and struggling but since cam healed and signed he has been great which slides Anderson. The only type we need is game breakers. So Anderson we have 0 reason to move unless we get that. Anderson for a similar yet lesser guy and. Pick makes 0 sense.

...I hate how now anyone goes after a player, even 40 point depth piece... All people bring up is your stars.

Yeah no duh you want gamebreakers, but just like you aren't gonna trade Anderson for a low pick, Nylander isn't getting trade for a Josh Anderson package. :laugh:

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Id do Leivo + a prospect but thats about it.
Leivo has a better shot and hands, Anderson has the better motor and snarl.
If they could take each others better aspects they would make a fine top 6 guy.
But long term they both look like above average 3ws who may play a top 6 role in a injury or lack of depth situation.

Think Anderson works better on Kadri's wing as a agitator so might be worth looking into.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Marleau Matthews Kappanen
Anderson Kadri Nylander

Would be a more balanced top 9.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No idea who this guy is. Details/play style/comparable?

Josh Anderson is super fast, rangy, looks about 6-4 220, heavy and frequent hitter, good fighter, good sniper from the wing, a terror on the forecheck. Not the best turning radius, not a playmaker, puckhandling is below average, a little top heavy. He's like a faster Tom Wilson, and a better shooter, and he does a better job of not getting suspended. Evander Kane is a good stylistic comp - I'd say the difference there is that Kane has better puck control.

Reactions: BM14

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He can be unhappy with his minutes, how many hundreds of players are? Jackets have no reason to move him. There is a glut at RW but he's the only non-smurf of the bunch.

But obviously, if the price is truly Nylander for Josh Anderson, then yeah I guess both teams can move on.

Yes, yes they should. And I think the price for the Leafs to get Anderson would be higher than other clubs. They're hard enough to beat already. That and there should be a higher price for the Metro clubs - no one on the Jackets is going to want to play against Anderson.

Reactions: CBJFan827

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Realistically the Leafs could do something like Brown+3rd or 4th for Anderson. I don't know if that necessarily gets it done, probably not.

Interesting that the Leafs have inquired...but wonder if that is Lou era or Dubas era.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
No. Only way we trade Anderson is in a package for Nylander. Rather keep him.
I'm curious, keeping in mind Toronto's needs, how do you propose to make up the difference?

And to speed this along, Anderson would be a plus (not main piece) and no, the Leafs wouldn't be stoked with Savard + Anderson for Nylander.

If you have anything outside of that, I'm genuinely interested in discussing it.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I would absolutely love Josh Anderson on the leafs. He brings a different element to the leafs top 9 forward group that we sorely lack. Tom Wilson Comparable.

What would the Jackets want?

The Jackets need now assets: a top 6 high skill forward, a goalie ready to become a #1 or a 2nd pair RD . Also, they don't really need depth forwards at all.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

The problem is Toronto is in a weird spot where they don’t have many “middle value guys”.

It’s either in the Nylander territory or Leivo. Nothing in between

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

That’s super but no matter how logical or sensible you think it is josh Anderson is not getting you William nylander.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
4th line winger whom hasn't broken 40 pts in his career.

and why does Toronto want him; nevermind what we're willing to give up for a 4th line winger?

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
EDIT: I changed my mind, he's more of an upgrade on Leivo than I thought, hadn't really checked the TOI numbers. Idk how to delete a post.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
4th line winger whom hasn't broken 40 pts in his career.

and why does Toronto want him; nevermind what we're willing to give up for a 4th line winger?

Honestly, his per/60 goals rates are very strong, and per/60 points rates are fine. the only reason not to bother signing him is uhh well, look at all the Leafs' wingers.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
cant see Montreal wanting another winger unless at least 2 are going to other way. Also would only make sense if Shaw was one of them.
Shaw and Scherbak?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Only way Nylander is involved is if there is a package. Their needs are the following

- Top 4 RD who can either play top pair or has upside to play top pair

- Size in the forward group who actually play like they are big and not soft (like Gauthier) who isn't a plug and can produce with skilled players

- Future depth to help when the cap crunch hits (prospects, draft picks, etc).

So in this scenario, for Nylander the Leafs would probably want Anderson for his size but he is nothing special as a talent and that is a huge downgrade for the Leafs. So either there needs to be a top 4 RD included which is unlikely or the value has to be made up with futures which I am not sure they want to do with several UFA's coming.

Something like Nylander for Anderson + 1st 2019 (with a lottery protection this year, if it is a lottery pick they can either offer it OR give an unprotected 1st 2020) + B prospect/2nd round pick in a future draft.

That is roughly what it would take and even then, there might be a bigger ask from the Leafs or the Jackets don't want to pay it. I don' know, but that is minimum what I see getting it done.

Not sure there is a deal here for Nylander.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Only way Nylander is involved is if there is a package. Their needs are the following

- Top 4 RD who can either play top pair or has upside to play top pair

- Size in the forward group who actually play like they are big and not soft (like Gauthier) who isn't a plug and can produce with skilled players

- Future depth to help when the cap crunch hits (prospects, draft picks, etc).

So in this scenario, for Nylander the Leafs would probably want Anderson for his size but he is nothing special as a talent and that is a huge downgrade for the Leafs. So either there needs to be a top 4 RD included which is unlikely or the value has to be made up with futures which I am not sure they want to do with several UFA's coming.

Something like Nylander for Anderson + 1st 2019 (with a lottery protection this year, if it is a lottery pick they can either offer it OR give an unprotected 1st 2020) + B prospect/2nd round pick in a future draft.

That is roughly what it would take and even then, there might be a bigger ask from the Leafs or the Jackets don't want to pay it. I don' know, but that is minimum what I see getting it done.

Not sure there is a deal here for Nylander.

That's what I was thinking. Something like Andersen, Carlsson, and a top-60 draft pick. Even then, depends on what Dubas' scouts think of Carlsson.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
The problem is Toronto is in a weird spot where they don’t have many “middle value guys”.

It’s either in the Nylander territory or Leivo. Nothing in between
Which is why it's never going to happen. I am perfectly fine with that.

I don't see Anderson getting traded, he shouldn't be kvetching about PT (if that's even true), and if it is true, Toronto should not be the destination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad