News Article: Leafs Analysis at Centre - Kadri,Bolland,Bozak

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It only matters what the coach thinks... right?
Because they know more than we do... right?

Do you like your irony with w(h)ine?

So, the idea is that I should weigh Don Cherry's view the same as Randy Carlyle's because Don was once a coach himself?

Despite the fact that:
  • Don Cherry hasn't coached in the NHL in 33 years.
  • Randy Carlyle is the current coach and it's his job to make the lineup, not Don's
  • Randy Carlyle has more NHL and more IHL/AHL coaching experience than Don Cherry
  • Don Cherry is an idiot

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
good article.

i'm sure we all knew this, problem is we don't have a legit #1/2 C besides kadri. bolland can be shifted to the 2nd line every so often but he isn't best there in a full season. only solution is to trade for a legit #1/2C and trade bozak if possible.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
So, the idea is that I should weigh Don Cherry's view the same as Randy Carlyle's because Don was once a coach himself?

Despite the fact that:
  • Randy Carlyle is the current coach and it's his job to make the lineup, not Don's
  • Randy Carlyle has more NHL and more IHL/AHL coaching experience than Don Cherry
  • Don Cherry is an idiot

Like him or not, Cherry has been closer to the game, and it's players/coaches/executives longer than you, or anyone else here ever has.

if he's an idiot, I'm afraid that doesn't bode well for you.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I stopped reading after seeing Pension puppets. This is the equivalent to a highschool newspaper for hockey fans.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Hating on Bozak is fashionable currently as the team he hasn't had the best year so far and the team is doing fine in his absence. It's very obvious that Kadri is being primed for the #1 role, and I'm personally fine having Bozie as a #2 center.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Like him or not, Cherry has been closer to the game, and it's players/coaches/executives longer than you, or anyone else here ever has.

if he's an idiot, I'm afraid that doesn't bode well for you.

So, if Cherry supported Bozak on the first line, would you support it?

If you think something and Don Cherry thinks something different, do you change your mind to agree with Don?

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

If you think something and Don Cherry thinks something different, do you change your mind to agree with Don?

Given that you have a Blue jays avatar, do you enjoy watching JP Arencibia play for the Jays?

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
So.. let me get this straight... when 65 game samples and cherry picked stats were convenient to tear down Grabovski, and clearly showed he wasn't capable of playing on this team, a lot of you folks could get behind it, but this time, there's an issue with it, because...... ...... Yeah, we all love a little irony.

I'm not saying this never happened, but a lot of the ones I saw indicated he wasn't suited to the role he had been relegated to, and it was going to come down to one of him or Bozak... and since Carlyle seemed to hate Grabo, I think we all knew how that would turn out.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kadri playing ~20mpg with Bozak and Bolland both playing ~16mpg is definitely the best idea.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Cherry isn't always right, but to call him an idiot is calling yourself worse. He's forgotten more about the game and the way it's played in his life, than you know now. By a country mile.

Coaches aren't infallible. See: Carlyle's handling of Lupul in Anaheim. GM's aren't infallible. See: the Bryzgalov deal.

bankerwannabe*

leave-britney-alone-meme-generator-leave-bozak-alone-d32576.jpg

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Jeeze... WTF is wrong with everybody?

We're 10-4! 10 wins, 4 losses!

Why are the top threads still pissing and whining and negativity? Cheer the **** up and enjoy this team right now.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Why are the top threads still pissing and whining and negativity? Cheer the **** up and enjoy this team right now.

Loving the team RIGHT NOW. As it is.
Can't wait to get Kulemin back Saturday night, and get Lupul back to 100%

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Loving the team RIGHT NOW. As it is.
Can't wait to get Kulemin back Saturday night, and get Lupul back to 100%

Even you can't honestly argue that Bozak coming back is worse for this team can you?

Would you rather:

Kadri-Bozak-Bolland-McClement

or

Kadri-Bolland-McClement-Smith

Bozak on this team makes us better than Bozak off this team, plain and simple. Where he plays... that's another debate.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

8 seasons of no playoffs messed people up.

On the article: Bozak Isn't an ideal top line centre you say? Well no ****.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Even you can't honestly argue that Bozak coming back is worse for this team can you?

Would you rather:

Kadri-Bozak-Bolland-McClement

or

Kadri-Bolland-McClement-Smith

Bozak on this team makes us better than Bozak off this team, plain and simple. Where he plays... that's another debate.

Fine with him on the bottom two lines, but then he becomes Grabovski. Well overpaid for his apparent role (though Grabo was miscast as much as Bozak is now). Sure, if he was making 2.5 -3.5, I don't think you'd hear it nearly as much, but in reality, his play doesn't warrant any more than half of what he's paid.

I'll just be happy when he's replaced.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Kadri playing ~20mpg with Bozak and Bolland both playing ~16mpg is definitely the best idea.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. Some people here need to remember that on a good day Kadri gets 16mins of ice-time, with him on the first line he's usually getting 20minutes. An offensive blackhole like Bozak shouldnt be leading our forwards in TOI when theres players like Kadri in the wings playing less than 15mins a game.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I think it's an area where Jays management should upgrade, but I don't make post after post on the Internet about the situation.

But if you did, would you do it in the thread about him, specifically?

You can love Bozak all over this message board, yet you come in THIS thread and complain about what people are saying...

SMH

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
As for Kadri belonging on the first line, bah! The only place any player belongs is in the spot where the coach decides to play them.

That's one of the dumber things I've ever read. It basically assumes that a coach cannot make a mistake. When the Blue Jays kept trotting out Francisco Cordero to close out games, I'm sure you felt the same way though. :laugh:

2. Kadri is not ready physically to play top line minutes and thus playing against the top pairing D who are more physical.

Um, based on what? 5 points in 3 games? It's early but I don't see how you can say that at this point. We'll see what happens in Vancouver though.

Despite the fact that:
  • Don Cherry is an idiot

1. You have NEVER coached in the NHL.
2. Randy Carlyle can make a mistake.
3. One coach being more experienced than another is irrelevant. There are plenty of games, series, and championships won by a less experienced coach against a more experienced coach.
4. You are likely posting on a message board from either a) your home office, b) your work place which doesn't involve hockey in the slightest c) your couch, etc. Yet, you call a man who has a Jack Adams trophy, who played in the AHL, and who has won a stanley cup, an "idiot", like he somehow doesn't have a valid opinion on NHL matters. I mean, it doesn't get any better than that folks.

What absolutely astounds me, is that you made 4 worthless points, and didn't simply point out that Carlyle is around the Leafs all the time; at practices, at games, off the ice, so he obviously knows more about the Leafs than Don Cherry. THAT would have supported your argument.

Yeah, thing is, he DOESN'T support Tyler Bozak on the first line. Are you trying to imply that someone must agree with ALL of Don Cherry's opinions, or none?

I think it's an area where Jays management should upgrade, but I don't make post after post on the Internet about the situation.

You've whined and cried for at least 10 posts now in A SINGLE THREAD about other posters who don't like Bozak. Good grief, the hypocrisy is strong in this one.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I stopped reading after seeing Pension puppets. This is the equivalent to a highschool newspaper for hockey fans.

I was really into Sarah Palin a few years back, she really had a unique perspective on things political. You remind me of her a lot, I guess that's why I enjoy reading your posts.

I am really excited about Kadri on the first line, how about you?

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
You don't need Corsi or Fenwick to support the argument that Bozak is not a top-6 forward. All you need to do is watch him play. He hardly carries the puck, he quickly looks for a winger to pass it to. He doesn't have great vision. He can't score goals on his own unless he's on a breakaway. He offers very little.

And this issue at centre has been ongoing ever since Sundin retired, and Kadri is their best by far right now. So, does that mean you load up the top line, and leave Lupul playing with a guy like McClement? That's debatable - I'd prefer they spread out their top-4 stars (JVR, Kessel, Kadri, Lupul) into pairs, until they can find another centre via trade. Not sure who that might be or how they get there (a d-man + Reimer?), but I'm not a fan of leaving a talent like Lupul with nobody to play with. I hope with Kulemin back soon (Sat in Van?), Carlyle shakes things up and give a Lupul a better linemate or two.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
That's one of the dumber things I've ever read. It basically assumes that a coach cannot make a mistake. When the Blue Jays kept trotting out Francisco Cordero to close out games, I'm sure you felt the same way though. :laugh:

It makes no such assumption. It's a simple statement that the coach makes the decisions on where the player plays. The ID that there is some definitive place that each player belongs seems silly to me.

Sure, I occasionally disagree with a coaching or managing decision, but it's not my decision to make. I just hope that someone in an appropriate position of power will fire the coach or manager. If not, I live with it. It's really not that big of a deal.

1. You have NEVER coached in the NHL.

You're right I haven't. I've never claimed that I did.

2. Randy Carlyle can make a mistake.

Never said he couldn't.

3. One coach being more experienced than another is irrelevant. There are plenty of games, series, and championships won by a less experienced coach against a more experienced coach.

So, I'm to respect Don's distant experience but not Randy's current experience?

4. You are likely posting on a message board from either a) your home office, b) your work place which doesn't involve hockey in the slightest c) your couch, etc. Yet, you call a man who has a Jack Adams trophy, who played in the AHL, and who has won a stanley cup, an "idiot", like he somehow doesn't have a valid opinion on NHL matters. I mean, it doesn't get any better than that folks.

You're right. I made the post you replied to from work which has nothing to do with hockey. And incidentally, Don Cherry never won a Stanley Cup but Randy Carlyle has.
And "idiot" may have been a touch harsh. Shall we try jingoistic, xenophobe, rude, ignorant, loud, inarticulate, etc instead?

And when it comes to current NHL hockey, I'm not so sure that Don does know that much. The game has changed in 33 years. When it comes to modern day hockey, I'm more likely to agree with a current NHL coach like Randy Carlyle.

And frankly, I suspect the fact that Don Cherry is an entertaining loud-mouth has as much to do with his role on CBC as his hockey knowledge.

What absolutely astounds me, is that you made 4 worthless points, and didn't simply point out that Carlyle is around the Leafs all the time; at practices, at games, off the ice, so he obviously knows more about the Leafs than Don Cherry. THAT would have supported your argument.

I figured that was covered by my point that Randy Carlyle was the current coach. But I guess you seem to feel that it needs to be explicitly pointed out that current coach is around the team and knows the team. Are there NHL coaches for whom this is not true? I don't know of any.

Yeah, thing is, he DOESN'T support Tyler Bozak on the first line. Are you trying to imply that someone must agree with ALL of Don Cherry's opinions, or none?

You were giving off a strong "Don Cherry said it. It must be right." vibe to me.

You've whined and cried for at least 10 posts now in A SINGLE THREAD about other posters who don't like Bozak. Good grief, the hypocrisy is strong in this one.[/QUOTE]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad