Confirmed with Link: Leafs have signed W Ilya Mikheyev to a 1 year ELC

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Important to note that he shoots left. Could be a good Marleau replacement.

Johnsson - Matthews - Kapanen

Hyman - Tavares - Marner

Mikheyev - Nylander - Bracco

Moore - GOAT - Marchment

Last edited:
Reactions: Julio Jones

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Nylander is super talented but man, with his effort on the ice, he makes it hard to cheer for him. He is such a mercurial guy with is effort and consistency.

Jones is not the guy I would want in a Nylander trade, Salvin or Parayko have been the 2 guys that have been #1A and #1B on my trade list for a year. If we have to add that is fine with me.

Neither Jones nor any of those guys are going to be available for trade.

I don’t know why folks just assume other teams are going to give up young core players (D men especially) even if the leafs offer an overpayment

Reactions: stopclickbait

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Came to this thread and was not surprised to see Nylander traded in return for this guy to take his spot. You know..the guy who did nothing but score 60 points in back-to-back years in 16-18.

Anyway, kid looks pretty good. Could be a nice free wallet but he is not replacing Nylander. It's like those kids who feel if you keep saying something hoping eventually it'll come true. Nylander isn't going anywhere. I know he gets a nice bonus July 1st, but enough with that.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He'll probably go to Tampa or Florida or one of the coast teams. Russians love the beach and appreciate lower tax rates (in FLA). Plus we don't have a guy who can convince him to join like Tampa does with Kucherov (Zaitsev won't have the same clout).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oh no! Another skilled player!
Oh no! More analytics!

Oh no! European speed, skill, play-making and a misplaced commitment to excellence instead of a commitment to the Don Cherry code and some rock 'em sock 'em slayer!

Oh no! Let's hope we lose tonight so that we can bring back toughness and stop this embarrassing speedy skill experiment and fight to have the NHL regress to pre - Post concussion syndrome aware days, and so Dubas gets fired and he takes his stupid analytics elsewhere! No! Enough,No to RW Ilya Mikheyev! No more mathematics!

You can’t equate every addition you deem to be positive to be the result of analytics and every move for toughness as a negative one.

Reactions: cookie

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs might need to replace Kapanen for cap reasons.

Because of how much $$ we will have invested in so few at the top, I expect Leafs to be very aggressive finding and signing "free wallets" for cheap to compensate in terms of cap space and spending.

Kappy is not going any where

Reactions: CelticDruid

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm sure Babs would love another skilled player to bury on the 4th line. He's probably bored sick of shafting Moore and Ennis by now, needs some fresh meat.

The thing about Mikheyev is, he can play on the 4th line pretty ok. He's a workhorse with some skill. 3rd line would probably be the best place for him, but I think, he won't suck a lot as a top6 player as well. He's better, than guys like Soshnikov, Plotnikov, Mamin, Kalinin, who can be just 4th liners and nothing more.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Is there room? He is a righty when we already have Bracco coming up. Not sure if he wants to sign here just because of Toronto's RH depth

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
This can't be true he's 6'2 not 5'7 we don't sign players that are over 5'10.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Seems to be another Hyman-type player. I'd take that, especially on a line with Matthews.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Nylander - Bracco

Not set on these guys playing side by side. Too similar in play style. I think Bracco would be good on a line where he has to be the main guy carrying the puck through the neutral zone into the O-zone. He likes taking it outside at the blue similar to Nylander and looks pass first for the most part.

I would like Kadri to stay and then he mans that third line in between the wingers you had outlined and then Willie goes up with Matthews again

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Not set on these guys playing side by side. Too similar in play style. I think Bracco would be good on a line where he has to be the main guy carrying the puck through the neutral zone into the O-zone. He likes taking it outside at the blue similar to Nylander and looks pass first for the most part.

I would like Kadri to stay and then he mans that third line in between the wingers you had outlined and then Willie goes up with Matthews again
On the other hand, it allows Nylander to shoot more with another puck mover on his line. Would be really interesting to see how these lines would look next year:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Bracco-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Moore

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
On the other hand, it allows Nylander to shoot more with another puck mover on his line. Would be really interesting to see how these lines would look next year:

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Bracco-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Moore

True, could work out in that sense.

I will say, that is a spicy top 9 for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->