Friedman: Leafs "All in" for best forward they can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
"all in for the best forward they can get" is a really strange statement.

Either they are all in, or they will just get the best forward they can get.

Like best forward they can get with a 2nd round pick?
or
Hey we want the best guy available, we will pay whatever it takes. But then a lot of guys become available if you're willing to trade multiple 1sts and your best prospects.

I think it means everyone is on the table if the deal is right. Like maybe they could get.. IDK JVR (not a real target or value) for 4 firsts. That doesn't make sense so they won't do it.

But then someone like (again, examples not value) Rantanen was available and they wanted Robertson + 2 firsts, the Leafs would pay that.

But he makes too much, so either a 3rd team is needed with more assets going to that or they get a middle 6 winger.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don't understand the title lol. They're in for the best forward they can get? What if that best forward they can get is a 4th liner lol. Just found it funny :laugh:

Reactions: Flyer lurker

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Fluff piece comment by Friedman. We all know the leafs are in the market for a forward as long as its the right fit. Same thing, different term tonight

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Bobby Ryan and then have Daniel Alfredsson unretire to bring back the Senators playoff magic!

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Why would the Sharks trade one of their young players?
Team has got to blow up. It's worth at least thinking about what the maximum return for one of your most valuable assets would be. I don't think he's on the move though he will very likely be one of the pieces staying.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Because once his contract is up, they have to pony up $8 mil to qualify him and that's not happening the way he's playing right now. They're just trying to pawn him off. And before I get jumped for it, yes, I know that Meier is still a good player but not worth an $8 mil qualifier.
Meier makes $10 million in the last year of his contract. I thought that the QO had to be at least that? Am I missing something?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't understand the title lol. They're in for the best forward they can get? What if that best forward they can get is a 4th liner lol. Just found it funny :laugh:
It is true. The best forward they can get is potentially the worst forward available. Looks nice as a sound bite or tweet though.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Meier makes $10 million in the last year of his contract. I thought that the QO had to be at least that? Am I missing something?
I think you are right. They changed the rule last summer so qualifying offers are now either the salary in the final year or 120% of the AAV (whichever is lower), but it doesn't affect contracts that were already signed prior to the change.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Because once his contract is up, they have to pony up $8 mil to qualify him and that's not happening the way he's playing right now. They're just trying to pawn him off. And before I get jumped for it, yes, I know that Meier is still a good player but not worth an $8 mil qualifier.

Wait, why is the qualifier $8M? I thought the qualifier was the AAV of your last deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad