Confirmed with Link: Leafs add Hayley Wickenheiser, Noelle Needham and Victor Carneiro to front office

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
For the first paragraph, what the hell?

For the second, hiring only based on experience is an anti pattern. We all know how many poor candidates that have plenty of experience there are out there. The majority of the qualifications and fit for a job are determined in the interview process and it is something you won’t see.

There is not enough information available to determine one way or the other. How we interpret this is our decision and how we’ve chosen to read into it.

Having made this choice, what is your goal?

What is actually equal? You could be faster than me. I could be stronger and when you break it all down everything has strengths and weakness'. Nothing is equal in nature, just different and work together for or against one another.

It's just an opinion. I think it was a failed PR stunt by Dubas to make him look progressive while at the same time doing much of the same. Hiring old boys from the Soo and the like. He missed the mark.

Reactions: dsred

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You again cherry picked the part about work related experience. I would also add best qualified. If we use other teams hires for the same position, it's got to be 90%+ former NHL players at a glance.

You keep saying that other teams hire extra-NHL players — what is significant about that?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
What is actually equal? You could be faster than me. I could be stronger and when you break it all down everything has strengths and weakness'. Nothing is equal in nature, just different and work together for or against one another.

It's just an opinion. I think it was a failed PR stunt by Dubas to make him look progressive while at the same time doing much of the same. Hiring old boys from the Soo and the like. He missed the mark.

Equality is equal opportunity not LITERALLY EQUAL

Reactions: dsred

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
but why is it questioned?

The Leafs wanted to do a PR/Progressive Move.
okay. so what? if the Leafs look good - yay them. they attract more people and we can develop them and the team is better. They aren't going to go out of their way to hire dumb people for the benefit of looking "good" and putting something they want to invest in (player development) at risk, just so they can be "oh look at us, we're progressive." that's shortsighted and dumb. Wick + Needham and the other dude still interviewed.

Wickenhesier has School + Family, Oh Noes, How can she do it all?
Quite frankly, this is a sexist dumbo statement. I don't deploy the sexist bomb very often but i doubt very much if it was a guy this would have been said. She'll make it work. She wouldn't have applied for the job if she didn't think she could do it or (if we want to work with the Dubas gifted her with something), she wouldn't have accepted it if she thought it would be too much

she's helping a fraction of the players in her area develop and is another added resource. the fact that people think this is an issue blows my mind. the fact that people want to think this is a conspiracy theory or just Dubas trying to one up old school thinking is laughable, and a lot of the reasons to 'question' it seem rather pedantic and sexist to me. (to be fair, some of them are also the "oh noes, no experience." thing, to which, again I argue, just because she hasn't done it - doesn't mean she isn't capable of doing said job. (and I've said that about others 99 percent of them guys) in the league. sometimes you need to have the trust and opportunity of the person hiring you to show people what they can do.

Daisy, I consider you to be a level headed voice in most matters on this forum. Look at my original post that Bluelines responded to and decide who has an agenda. It certainly ain't me.

I supported the hire with the caveat that there was certainly a PR component to it. Then the passive aggressive crap started.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You again cherry picked the part about work related experience. I would also add best qualified. If we use other teams hires for the same position, it's got to be 90%+ former NHL players at a glance.

You again assumed that based on your criteria Wick wasn't the most qualified. Thanks for playing.

Maybe the criteria was weighted towards people who have decades of championship experience. I'm sure you missed the point I was making but again why does the AD position have to fit your criteria, are you a hockey expert on player development?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Daisy, I consider you to be a level headed voice in most matters on this forum. Look at my original post that Bluelines responded to and decide who has an agenda. It certainly ain't me.

I supported the hire with the caveat that there was certainly a PR component to it. Then the passive aggressive crap started.

This is what he calls passive aggressive.

How does good PR benefit the Leafs?

To the rest of the world it's called a question. One that he has yet to answer. Care to answer it?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Well I am glad you have remarked that because a lot of people want to hire 50% women and 50% men and then again divide the pool by ethnicity, which is asinine. They too use the term "equality".

I just want to add though that even equal opportunity doesn't exist in a truest sense. This is because of connections or notoriety and all the behind the scenes going on. The Neopotism is real in the NHL.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Women are well aware of that point, millions of women are paid less than men for doing the same job but please tell me again how women have it so easy in today's workforce?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You clearly are not in a position of hiring. That's fine, but man are you talking out of your ass again.

All over the world organizations hire on competency based qualities and transferable skill sets. It is nothing new and extremely common in the work force.

It is only due to your own ignorance that you are blinded.

I would have given you a "loved" this post but the only option is "like", well said.

Reactions: White Shadow

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

thanks. same to you.
i do apologise if that seems snapish to you, that was just basically a general response (to your question). like i said. i don't usually use the 'sexist' bomb (generally speaking, I don't have to here) but i think i explained why i feel questioning this hire is (or at least can be seen as) such.

like i said near the beginning. i don't think the leafs PR-ly hired Wick. in the way a lot of people are making it out. does it HELP? of course, but was that the goal, i don't believe so.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You again assumed that based on your criteria Wick wasn't the most qualified. Thanks for playing.

Maybe the criteria was weighted towards people who have decades of championship experience. I'm sure you missed the point I was making but again why does the AD position have to fit your criteria, are you a hockey expert on player development?

She isn't the most qualified, she can't be based on a myriad of factors. Your PR dangles because it's so obvious to most that they just leave it there as you obsess about it.

PR, Leafs... By Leafs do you mean the parent companies? The players? The GM and management staff or all of the above including the fanbase? Think long and hard about this one, dig deep.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Well I am glad you have remarked that because a lot of people want to hire 50% women and 50% men and then again divide the pool by ethnicity, which is asinine. They too use the term "equality".

I just want to add though that even equal opportunity doesn't exist in a truest sense. This is because of connections or notoriety and all the behind the scenes going on. The Neopotism is real in the NHL.

Again, progress not absolute. Nepotism only excludes equality because today everyone is male. When you actively market and hire equal opportunity, that changes over generations, and eventually nepotism permeates equality. Who knows if it will ever be 100%, that’s not the point. The point is progress and encouraging the new generations to try because they have a chance.

If you can choose to be optimistic or pessimistic, optimistic will encourage the next generations. Passive pessimism like I alluded to originally is counter productive for this purpose.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
She isn't the most qualified, she can't be based on a myriad of factors. Your PR dangles because it's so obvious to most that they just leave it there as you obsess about it.

PR, Leafs... By Leafs do you mean the parent companies? The players? The GM and management staff or all of the above including the fanbase? Think long and hard about this one, dig deep.

Again, those with most qualifications are obviously not always the best fit.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I would be willing to wager that a large portion of anti Dubas posters are also anti HW. Why? Neither was the most "qualified" and there are still many dinosaurs out there that only hire based on shiny resumes....or even dog shit resumes.

Reactions: Eb and mavis

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

She is entrusted with working with 4 prospects and I don't think any of them are likely to make it to the NHL at all. It's like the CEO of the company asking you to babysit his dog. This is official business.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
She is entrusted with working with 4 prospects and I don't think any of them are likely to make it to the NHL at all. It's like the CEO of the company asking you to babysit his dog. This is official business.

This is an awful analogy, obviously incorrect, and at this point you’re just doubling down to troll status to try and distract everyone from how genuinely wrong you’ve been about everything in this thread.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is an awful analogy, obviously incorrect, and at this point you’re just doubling down to troll status to try and distract everyone from how genuinely wrong you’ve been about everything in this thread.

I think it was stated that her area was 4 or 5 prospects. It was tiny and she is 5 hrs out. If someone got that info wrong please correct me and them.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
i really hate the calls for locking it up. people should be able to discuss stuff, ya? and now we can ignore threads again that could be a better option.

I only found out you can ignore threads anciuple hours ago after that post until that the only way this thread would end would have been to lock it.

The thread really isn’t that bad it’s the one troll who is always desperate to be a contrarian so it kind of makes sense why though

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

OK who is more qualified based on the Leafs criteria that is available for the same position?

Yes far be it from the "experts" on this forum not to answer a simple question so they can reaffirm that they are the smartest person they know. For the dumb people like me please tell me how good PR benefits the Leafs?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Again, progress not absolute. Nepotism only excludes equality because today everyone is male. When you actively market and hire equal opportunity, that changes over generations, and eventually nepotism permeates equality. Who knows if it will ever be 100%, that’s not the point. The point is progress and encouraging the new generations to try because they have a chance.

If you can choose to be optimistic or pessimistic, optimistic will encourage the next generations. Passive pessimism like I alluded to originally is counter productive for this purpose.

Damn, well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad