Confirmed with Link: Leafs add Dale Derkatch to Amateur Scouting

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Hunter and his scouting team drafted a lot of smaller skilled players last draft and Derkatch being a smaller highly skilled player in the past would have a similar eye to be able to recognize that characteristic in players similar to his own style.

So there is a similarity in drafting tendency and now the amateur scout doing the evaluating.

As a WHLer follower I remember Derkatch well as he tore up the league when his was a member. When your leading the league in goals 84 and points 179 in just 60+ games in your draft year its hard not to notice a player like that.

Two former Leafs in the early 1980's that I followed closely as well Kenny Yaremchuk and Dan Hodgson from the WHL of similar smaller but highly skilled players.

He played with Leeman in Regina. Also for Team Canada. Was a slick little player that put up big junior numbers.

Dan Hodgson you say, I remember him also. Prince Albert right? Slick small center that also had a cup of coffee with the Leafs. Big points in junior.

Lots of small junior players put up big numbers. Leafs drafted Ernie Godden once.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He played with Leeman in Regina. Also for Team Canada. Was a slick little player that put up big junior numbers.

Dan Hodgson you say, I remember him also. Prince Albert right? Slick small center that also had a cup of coffee with the Leafs. Big points in junior.

Lots of small junior players put up big numbers. Leafs drafted Ernie Godden once.

Smaller skilled players have been tearing up the CHL since the beginning of time.

Leafs appear to have changed their scouting/drafting criteria focusing on the skill component and not put as much weight in BPA determination in the size factor of the player..

Tampa Bay triplets success likely spearheading the possibility that scouts believe this new trend is changing the NHL game.

So Leafs went out and hired a prolific smaller junior player in Dale Derkatch to add another set of eyes in the WHL of this type, because most of their current team is OHL strength based.

PS. Had Derkatch been hired prior to last draft then Nick Merkley would have had more support at the draft table as a potential Leaf selection perhaps. As will future WHLers of that ilk based on Derkatch strength to recognize characteristics similar to his own.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
PS. Had Derkatch been hired prior to last draft then Nick Merkley would have had more support at the draft table as a potential Leaf selection perhaps. As will future WHLers of that ilk based on Derkatch strength to recognize characteristics similar to his own.

Yeah, we will never know how this affected the drafting of Merkley. I know the Leafs scouted him in the playoffs, and it must have been a tough decision to pass on him to get another pick.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
You assumed wrong as Dale was not the Scout of the WHL , he scouted the US and all of Canada as well as Europe.

So he's an amateur scout that scouts everywhere? I don't believe that for a second. I'm pretty sure the Head doesn't even scout everywhere, never mind a normal amateur scout. Where's the proof of that.

Regardless, if what you said is true, you can add Ovechkin (a 1st overall pick) and Semin (whom was also an iffy pick) to the list, along with a whole other long list of whiffs. That only makes that record worse.

Also, I just realized in the article, Wes Clark is no longer a scout. He's now a player evaluation consultant with Jim Paliafito. Scouting is probably involved, but he and Paliafito are not scouts in the typical sense. They also don't have Jim Vesey or Tony Martino (and Nordmark is confirmed) there either.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, we will never know how this affected the drafting of Merkley. I know the Leafs scouted him in the playoffs, and it must have been a tough decision to pass on him to get another pick.

They probably thought we had enough centers and needed another offensive LD :laugh: Or is he a LHD RD? Who knows. We've done that with others.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
So he's an amateur scout that scouts everywhere? I don't believe that for a second. I'm pretty sure the Head doesn't even scout everywhere, never mind a normal amateur scout. Where's the proof of that.

Regardless, if what you said is true, you can add Ovechkin (a 1st overall pick) and Semin (whom was also an iffy pick) to the list, along with a whole other long list of whiffs. That only makes that record worse.

Also, I just realized in the article, Wes Clark is no longer a scout. He's now a player evaluation consultant with Jim Paliafito. Scouting is probably involved, but he and Paliafito are not scouts in the typical sense. They also don't have Jim Vesey or Tony Martino (and Nordmark is confirmed) there either.

I know Dale, so I know where he scouted. I will look for proof.

He quit his Job with the Capitals so that he could be home more with his family when he was offered the Job at Notre Dame as head of the hockey program.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They probably thought we had enough centers and needed another offensive LD :laugh: Or is he a LHD RD? Who knows. We've done that with others.

It's a calculated risk. Since I am a fan of both Merkley and Dermott. I am somewhat conflicted. I will say this, I would have had zero disappointment had we drafted Merkley. Heck of a player.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Found the proof.

From 1998-04 Derkatch was an Amateur Scout for the Washington Capitals of the NHL. He identified, evaluated and assessed draft eligible players for the NHL Entry Draft. While maintaining constant knowledge of all draft eligible players he also formulated a cost efficient schedule to scout across Canada, the United States and Europe for the Caps.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=4213133

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I always used to hire Derkatch as a scout when I played EHM, so he must be good.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Nathan Barrett and Brandon Kozun were both WHL/CHL scoring champs.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
He can recognize offensive talent as he was one as a former player. That is what a scout does evaluate talent. ;)

Dale Derkatch
1982-83 Regina Pats WHL 67 games 84 goals 95 assists 179 points

Verses

Dougie Gimour
1982-83 Cornwall Royals OHL 68 games 70 goals 107 assists 177 points.

I can recognize offensive talent. Leafs need someone who can recognize what will translate to the NHL. Leafs drafted a ton of dub guys who were great in junior but couldn't do it in the show .Cam Plante Derek Laxdal and Jim Benning were players thar couldn't translate there great stats to the pros

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Nathan Barrett and Brandon Kozun were both WHL/CHL scoring champs.

Leafs also drafted Normand Aubin. I don't think many will remember him. 149 points from the QMJHL.

Ernie Godden was a legend in the OHL in scoring 153 points.

Bruce Boudeau 165 points for the Marlies.

Laurie Boschman had 149 points the year we drafted him.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Leafs also drafted Normand Aubin. I don't think many will remember him. 149 points from the QMJHL.

Ernie Godden was a legend in the OHL in scoring 153 points.

Bruce Boudeau 165 points for the Marlies.

Laurie Boschman had 149 points the year we drafted him.
Who was talking about transferable skills. It seems that the Leafs have drafted a lot of great juniors that flopped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad