Confirmed with Link: Leafs acquire Pickard

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
The reality is Andersen had been absolute shat this season. So has price and the king..

Let's give it some time?

Come playoff time...

He has sucked this playoffs, lets give it the offseason and see how he does next year.

That argument does not work especially when its the second straight year he has a horrendous start.

Sure, lets give it time. But if this trend continues after game 25, then goaltending should be looked at seriously.

“We got outworked for pretty much all game,” said Andersen. “I think we could have been better at getting it out of our zone. They were pressing and we weren’t quick enough.

“That’s how it goes when you play like that,” added Andersen. “I’m surprised we got out-battled like that."

---is this a team player?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Come playoff time...

He has sucked this playoffs, lets give it the offseason and see how he does next year.

That argument does not work especially when its the second straight year he has a horrendous start.

Sure, lets give it time. But if this trend continues after game 25, then goaltending should be looked at seriously.

“We got outworked for pretty much all game,” said Andersen. “I think we could have been better at getting it out of our zone. They were pressing and we weren’t quick enough.

“That’s how it goes when you play like that,” added Andersen. “I’m surprised we got out-battled like that."

So now we need to add a better goalie to Lou's shopping list ?? Andy is here to stay ... at least until the off season.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
So now we need to add a better goalie to Lou's shopping list ?? Andy is here to stay ... at least until the off season.

I think a better defense will solve the goaltending issue. One or the other has to change, defense is much easier. Heck, Chicago won with Niemi and Detroit won multiple with Osgood.

Reactions: hotpaws

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Could say, "I need to play better, my vision was not as clear, but I could have been sharper".

who cares what he says to the media? Even if he does that it people around here wouldn’t give a shit about it and still bitch about him

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Come playoff time...

Its hard to determine. What was the question? Was this the entire answer.. or is this one of those quotes where the beginning was... " I have to play better for sure, and...

Was the question... 'how do you think the team has played in front of you?"

I believe what you are doing is cherrypicking.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
who cares what he says to the media? Even if he does that it people around here wouldn’t give a **** about it and still ***** about him

Mike Babcock cares. Remember how when he was hired he gave kept saying they were all going to be accountable and "own our stuff"?

I was on board with the Andersen trade and am willing to give him time to sort out his play, but quotes like these if not taken out of context demonstrate a poor attitude, and are going to sour people on him in a hurry. Refusing to take any responsibility and instead blaming others limits one's ability to self-improve, not just in hockey, but life in general. Andersen has the talent to be one of the elite goalies in the league, that's why the Leafs got him, but if he's going to have a complacent attitude then he'll never get there. Quotes like these actually remind me a lot of Bernier, who used to always say that he was happy with his play.

Now, maybe just because Andersen says these things to the media doesn't mean that's how he's actually thinking. But I doubt it. If he truly thought he could be better then it would be a lot easier for him to just say so, and it'd play a lot better with his coach, teammates, and the media.

Contrast Andersen's attitude to Matthews, who scored four goals in his first game and still took responsibility for the loss. One of those players is a true leader, and has the attitude of a champion, someone highly driven to be the best they can be.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
It's funny he has that as a passing comment in his last sentence.

Simply put his play has been a major issue this season, much more of a concern than any of our defensive breakdowns IMO.
Him and Bozak have been tire fires, but lets not say he is not accountable, he knows he is.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think a better defense will solve the goaltending issue. One or the other has to change, defense is much easier. Heck, Chicago won with Niemi and Detroit won multiple with Osgood.

I agree. It's too easy to blame the goaltender when five goals go in. The Leafs give up so many grade A chances, and I find Freddy keeps the team in the game for long stretches of time....but there's only so many times he's going to stop a 15 footer from the slot.

For the amount of times he has to bail out the defense, I actually think he's played well. You can't expect the guy to steal every game when the entire team forgets where to be in the defensive zone. We saw how the team can play against the Kings when they actually play solid defense and keep dangerous scoring opportunities low. Freddy can be a top 10 goalie in the league, he just needs help from the players in front of him.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I was a HUGE proponent of the acquisition.

I've liked him as a goalie for some time. Last year he had some rough stretches (particularly early) but I found myself defending him. I was still totally on his side. But I was hesistant to be sure.

This year, he's been horrendous lets be honest. I'm hoping he rebounds but I'm starting to question him. Maybe I was wrong. I can admit if I was and I'm starting to feel as though perhaps he's just not very good.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The reality is Andersen had been absolute shat this season. So has price and the king..

Let's give it some time?

Montreals problems go way beyond Price.That team is a mess.Leafs need blueline help & it hasn't been rightfully addressed imo.I don't follow the Rangers so i can't comment on that.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't get everyone passionately defending Andersen.

Is he a good goalie? Yes. He might even be a great goalie.

Has he played like shit so far? Yes. In fact, on more than a few nights the Leafs actually won in spite of him.

Both the defence and goaltending has been awful to start the year and it needs to be much better if the Leafs want to accomplish anything.

It's early days, folks. Lots of time to right the ship.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't get everyone passionately defending Andersen.

Is he a good goalie? Yes. He might even be a great goalie.

Has he played like **** so far? Yes. In fact, on more than a few nights the Leafs actually won in spite of him.

Both the defence and goaltending has been awful to start the year and it needs to be much better if the Leafs want to accomplish anything.

It's early days, folks. Lots of time to right the ship.

We forget that he was actually worse this time last year. Hopefully he finds his game again, and we will be singing his praises in early 2018. D also needs help.

----------------

Given this is actually a thread about Pickard, and I watched him most of the Marlies game the other night... he was equally horrendous. Easy, non screened shots over the shoulder.... shots that should be stopped. He'd better find his game as well, or he'll be in the ECHL soon.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I think the question with Andersen is deeper. Is he LT a bonafide cup winner? After all Lou liked Brodeur. Year 2: the big question won't be how did the big 3 do in year 2/ sophomore year. More like , is Andersen the guy for that brutal spot... come playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad