Post-Game Talk: Leafs 4, Pens 3 - 30 Minutes Not Enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Lot of people around here need to buy Hockey 101: Xs and Os for Dummies.

Why is Reaves being scapegoated again? It's really not hard to learn the basics of the game and educate yourselves about the mistakes going on out there.

Also, those saying you don't dress Reaves agt Toronto shows why you shouldn't be coaching... Kadri and Komo are two of the dirtiest players in the league.

Reactions: Nakawick

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Close. But no. Goaltending isn't our issue. GAA is up across the league. MAF is a dumpster fire who shoulda been gone from Pittsburgh five years ago.

It's the five in front. And oh boy..if you want bad GAA the way we are playing defense around the crease ...MAF woulda actually stopped smiling for once.

We have two great tenders. And about 10 crappy skaters. Six others who donn care and are soff. Only Kessel and Horny have shown consistent effort.

Well.. before I start, I should mention that MAF proved last year he was worth keeping. So... let that story rest once and for all.

As for your argument about the 5 in front, I completely agree. It's actually weird. We have good solid numbers when we have our defensive breakdowns. The players are so unaware on the ice of their assignment. It's such a poor focus. That's why I think Sully should change it up a bit to get the players re-engaged to their assignments.

Last night for example, we are running around losing battles we easily should be winning. Then instead of having our assignment, we are STILL running around trying to overplay. If a guy switches off his guy, the supporting defender does not pick him up. It's ridiculous. It's such a poor level of play.

And battle level is laughable. There were times Toronto wasn't even trying to pressure and still won the battle because we just gave the puck away. It's like we spaz in our own end instead of making a smart short play. Part of that is because we are so damn spread out and the other part is just such a poor lack of focus. I mean Toronto wasn't even trying to pressure us and we'd have 2 guys to their 1 and we'd still lose the battle. That cannot happen.

Reactions: EightyOne

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

Why is Reaves being scapegoated again? It's really not hard to learn the basics of the game and educate yourselves about the mistakes going on out there.

Also, those saying you don't dress Reaves agt Toronto shows why you shouldn't be coaching... Kadri and Komo are two of the dirtiest players in the league.

Boy I agree with you. The 4th line (and the bottom 6) looked to be a big issue prior to the season starting and is being wrongfully scapegoated WAAAY too often.

I popped in after the game and pixies said "If we have a good 4th line, we win that game." :biglaugh: How does that game get scapegoated on the 4th line? As I mentioned in my post above, the lack of focus and hunger in our game, or as Sully says "readiness" is the biggest issue altogether. It's a bigger issue than i'd ever imagine.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Boy I agree with you. The 4th line (and the bottom 6) looked to be a big issue prior to the season starting and is being wrongfully scapegoated WAAAY too often.

I popped in after the game and pixies said "If we have a good 4th line, we win that game." :biglaugh: How does that game get scapegoated on the 4th line? As I mentioned in my post above, the lack of focus and hunger in our game, or as Sully says "readiness" is the biggest issue altogether. It's a bigger issue than i'd ever imagine.

I was at the game and it's even more obvious it's switch assignments being the biggest culprits but duh, Reaves!

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Greatness in goal? The Pens are icing 2 with a combined start total of less than 10 games between them. Greatness is not earned over 8 games and not really over 111 has in Murray's case. Murray may become great if he can start 500 games in the NHL. His injury history is already cause for concern and even more so due to his slim frame. Guy is a toothpick. No the Pens need to deal for a experienced netminder for the back stretch if you want to succeed or survive a long playoff run.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was at the game and it's even more obvious it's switch assignments being the biggest culprits but duh, Reaves!

Was there as well and for the first time had a great spot for x's and o's. Usually i'm in 102. I sat 116 row AA (our d-zone twice). It was the perfect viewpoint from the d-zone set up and how they run around.

But as I said, it's worse because we actually have even numbers when these d problems happen. We have even numbers and it should not be an issue at all.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't even think that Reaves playing is that big of a problem, because he plays so little every game already. He's not out there getting regular shifts, he's playing 4-6 minutes a night and then Kessel, Hornqvist and Rust are getting extra minutes to compensate. I'm not sure if 10 minutes of Archibald is better than 4 minutes of Reaves and 2 extra minutes for Kessel, Hornqvist and Rust. I don't like Reaves, but I feel like people are missing the big issues by scapegoating him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Was there as well and for the first time had a great spot for x's and o's. Usually i'm in 102. I sat 116 row AA (our d-zone twice). It was the perfect viewpoint from the d-zone set up and how they run around.

But as I said, it's worse because we actually have even numbers when these d problems happen. We have even numbers and it should not be an issue at all.
hey I was in 115. Nice view.

Reactions: ColePens

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Clearly it's Reaves' fault other players are missing their assignments and the team, as a whole, is only showing effort for 20-30 minutes of the 60 minute game.

Get with the program.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I’m not going talk too much about Reaves. However, there seems to be reasons for wanting him out of the lineup (and they aren’t mutually exclusive):

- There are better players than him (e.g., Sprong, Simon, Archie)

- They don’t agree with having an enforcer in the lineup

I’d rather the players get back to playing games instead of trying to compensate for a (perceived) lack of toughness.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The bottom 6 and Reaves aren’t the biggest problem but a shitty 4th line is one of the easier things to fix or attempt to fix. Like when Sullivan scratched Cole, they’re easier targets to tinker with.

We added him to enforce. We got the best player we could who can also be a top end enforcer. Fit wasn't part of the discussion imo. I think they knew from the moment they made the trade that Reaves was a bad fit and a likely downgrade to our 4th line in terms of actual hockey ability.

idk, about that. They found a big, funny personality and probably the fastest enforcer they could. I’d say that indicates some thought to fit on ice and off, it’s just not enough. If there wasn’t any thought to fit and they were fine with downgrading that spot then i think we'd see Sestito lumbering around.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
idk, about that. They found a big, funny personality and probably the fastest enforcer they could. I’d say that indicates some thought to fit on ice and off, it’s just not enough. If there wasn’t any thought to fit and they were fine with downgrading that spot then i think we'd see Sestito lumbering around.
That's true, there was probably some thought to fit. But I still think they completely understand that he's a downgrade to the actual line. The fact that he plays so little is enough for me to believe that.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Being general and non specific here, but a good two way 3c would really help slot bottom six talent more appropriately. As it currently stands players are asked to play above their heads to fill roles they aren't necessarily qualified to play full time. Fixing that one position can have residual affects throughout the bottom six.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That's true, there was probably some thought to fit. But I still think they completely understand that he's a downgrade to the actual line. The fact that he plays so little is enough for me to believe that.

Yeah, but I also wonder if that wasn’t a difference between Sullivan and JR. I’m not sure anyone predicted how much offense L4 would lose either. I could see jr thinking he was getting a decent 4th liner who would fit alright and enforce. Not amazing but better than what we’ve gotten.

Sullivan just seems like he’s been given something he didn’t really want, or he wanted this and is happy having a low minute enforcer.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

We were not ready plenty of times last year. Bonino and Cullen being able to anchor lines and not force Crosby and Malkin to play 20+ nights on the regular helped allow for that.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I've been half joking he is going to be traded back here when he and the Wild are not doing well and well, it's almost coming true! I wouldn't mind seeing him push some of the 4th line fodder out and off the team.

I'd sooner see a 4th line of Hagelin-Cullen-Archibald or Simon-Cullen-Archibald over the horse **** we've been seeing.
Insult to horse shit, at least that has a use

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Closing this, since we have a game tomorrow and have more or less moved past talking about the actual game. Speaking of games tomorrow ... no one has signed up to do a GDT. If anyone can help out that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad