Salary Cap: Leafs 2022-2023 Salary Cap Picture

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Thought I'd make this thread so that other threads get derailed less, even if it is somewhat related to the topic at hand; now there's a place for it: any discussion of the team & its salary cap picture beyond this season, feel free to discuss.

Parring for the course, this is what they're working from:
upload_2021-11-11_17-8-9.png

Here's the link to capfriendly, it has lots of good information to refer to, as well as tools like 'Armchair-GM': CapFriendly - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
Simmonds can buried, so for simplicity, let's say we sign Spezza for $900,000 to keep the cap space the same.

Cap: $7,219,384.
Needs (at a minimum):
Three Fowards
One Defenceman
Campbell extension, or another goalie.

Something is going to have to give.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Amazing that people care so much more about next year than this year.

until next year, of course, when they will care much more about the following year than that year.

and so on.

Reactions: LeafChief and kb

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I am assuming that Liljegren/Sandin will come in at hits around Dermott's (no clue on comparables at this point).

Robertson and Amirov could play.

Spezza at league minimum if he wants.

We have like ~$2.5 for Campbell?

Hopefully move 1-2 of Kerfoot/Holl/Dermott/Ritchie and the problem is solved.

Hoping Kase comes back at a similar hit too, so moving on from Ritchie and Dermott/Holl would be ideal.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
  • Kerfoot trade (3.5m) + Mikheyev UFA (1.645m) = Top 6 LW upgrade (5.145m)*
  • Kessel retention (1.2m) + cap increase (1m) = Rielly's raise
  • Holl trade (2m) and/or Mrazek trade (3.8m) = Campbell's raise (depending on his ask)
  • Kase (1.25m RFA) + remaining cap = Sandin raise/Liljegren QO
*****​

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
UPGRADE* - Tavares - Marner
Steeves - Kampf - Robertson
Ritchie - Spezza - Simmonds
[Engvall, Anderson]

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - Dermott
[Rubins, Menell]
Upgrade options: Domi (London Line), Smith, Rust, etc.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Kerfoot is gone next year, 1 of Dermott or Holl is gone. That's an extra 5-5.5 million in space. And if Mrazek can't get healthy and perform he will be gone too.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Mrazek 3.8
Kerfoot 3.5
Ritchie 2.5
Holl 2.0
Engvall 1.25

Thats 13.05 million in cap we could free up. Next years Roster without these players.

Matthews Nylander

Bunting Tavares Marner

Robertson Kase

Spezza Kampf Simmonds

Reilly Brodie

Muzzin Liljegren

Sandin Dermott

Campbell

The total cap here would be 73.5 million if we sign Campbell to a 3 year 3.95 mill contract and Dermott stays at 1.5 million. Needs would be a 1 Lw, 3 c, bottom pair Rd, and back up goalie.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
  • Holl trade (2m) and/or Mrazek trade (3.8m) = Campbell's raise (depending on his ask)
*****​

[Engvall, Anderson]

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - Dermott
[Rubins, Menell]
Do you think Steeves and Robertson will be NHL ready next year?

Haven't followed the Marlies so would be nice to get NHL top 9 players from them. How likely is abramov to be an NHL capable player? Had some nice showings in his D+1 year.

Hoping Amirov is also in NA on the Marlies and a late season call up option next year for us

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Engvall + Kase are both arbitration eligible. My guess is that either one or both don't get qualifying offer from the Leafs (about +1.5M)

Also I think one of Dermott/Holl is gone thats about (+1.5 to 2M)

One of Ritchie/Kerfoot or both are probably gone too (2.5M + 3.5M)

basically leafs can shed about 5.5M to 11M (all of them gone)

*Mikheyev is an additional +1.6M: don't think he is coming back. He is a UFA.

The important stat is that both Willy and Matthews have 3 more seasons including the current season. After that somethings gotta give. Either we lose Matthews or Willy. No way we will be able to keep them both.

i.e. Leafs have 3 years to make something happen or else dubas era will be known as the biggest failure in the history of sports.

No other GM has achieved so less given the situation in which he walked in to be a GM
- team on the rise
- plenty of cap space
- plenty of assets

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
If they plan on keeping the core four and Rielly then I think Muzzin Kerfoot and Ritchie goes. They sign a couple of league minimum players and some reclamation projects.

looking at the AHL or prospects they have no one at the moment besides maybe Amirov who can step into the NHL.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Do you think Steeves and Robertson will be NHL ready next year?

Haven't followed the Marlies so would be nice to get NHL top 9 players from them. How likely is abramov to be an NHL capable player? Had some nice showings in his D+1 year.

Hoping Amirov is also in NA on the Marlies and a late season call up option next year for us
You could argue Steeves is NHL ready right now.

I think Steeves will get games with the Leafs as soon as this season. Looks like he doesn't belong in the AHL and his skating has improved drastically. Buzzsaw two-way LW/RW with a great shot.

I'd be really surprised if Robertson didn't make the team out of next camp. That will be his 4th NHL camp including the bubble with two years of high-end AHL production (comparable numbers to Byfield, Turcotte, Perfetti, etc.). If he returns from injury and hovers around 1PPG, I don't see how you keep him down any longer than this season, especially since he also PK's.

Abramov is still far off. He's playing bottom six/4th line minutes for the Marlies right now and likely needs 2+ more full years of development in the AHL. His game has quieted down at the pro level and his skating looks a lot less standout. Very raw.

Reactions: LeafChief

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019

I think Steeves will get games with the Leafs as soon as this season. Looks like he doesn't belong in the AHL and his skating has improved drastically. Buzzsaw two-way LW/RW with a great shot.

I'd be really surprised if Robertson didn't make the team out of next camp. That will be his 4th NHL camp including the bubble with two years of high-end AHL production (comparable numbers to Byfield, Turcotte, Perfetti, etc.). If he returns from injury and hovers around 1PPG, I don't see how you keep him down any longer than this season, especially since he also PK's.

Abramov is still far off. He's playing bottom six/4th line minutes for the Marlies right now and likely needs 2+ more full years of development in the AHL. His game has quieted down at the pro level and his skating looks a lot less standout. Very raw.

Robertson did not look like he was NHL ready at training camp this season. Since 2020 he has only played 29 games. In two years he has only played 29 games. Injuries have really hurt him. I think he needs more time in the AHL.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I like how half of you guys keep bringing up Mikheyev coming off the cap, but he is already off of the cap on Capfriendly for next season. He doesn't have a contract therefor it's already accounted for.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

True thanks for insight

Steeves being a NHLer so soon is promising

Reactions: Knies iT

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
*****​

[Engvall, Anderson]

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Liljegren
Sandin - Dermott
[Rubins, Menell]

I love how the answer is to somehow trade multiple unwanted players away without any cap coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00