Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 7th-round (#204 via DAL) --RD Kalle Loponen - - 5'11 187lbs -- Karpat U20 SM-liiga

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I doubt it unless he doesn't make the Liiga team. I can't see him passing up pro hockey at home for Sudbury, or really any other CHL team.

51Leafs asked him how he knew, with no response yet. This guys pretty legit when it comes to Finnish prospects. :dunno:

Wonder what the Leafs think.

Reactions: WillNy29

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I doubt it unless he doesn't make the Liiga team. I can't see him passing up pro hockey at home for Sudbury, or really any other CHL team.

I think most CHL teams do their homework and tend to draft guys who have a good chance of coming over seas, no?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

51Leafs asked him how he knew, with no response yet. This guys pretty legit when it comes to Finnish prospects. :dunno:

Wonder what the Leafs think.

Sounds like a good way of getting high end minutes against players his age group instead of going the longer development route against men.

I personally love this for personal reasons as I get to see him a lot more.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Sounds like a good way of getting high end minutes against players his age group instead of going the longer development route against men.

I personally love this for personal reasons as I get to see him a lot more.

Yeah. Keeps him in our backyard, gets him accustomed to the NA rinks, and we can actually see where he's at compared to his age group.

Going to a team that had a good season last year too doesn't hurt, although admittedly I don't know much about them other than Byfield.

Reactions: uncleben

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
Confirmed he’s playing is Sudbury.

Any one see him play and want to speculate how on his upcoming season?

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I like that he’s playing in sudbury. Should get more minutes with his peers. Possibly dominate. Also next year he can go to the Marlies if he’s ready.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Most of the time I like to see prospects play against men but since he is a 7th round pick I really like the idea of him getting an opportunity to play more minutes with the option to be on the PP/PK

A very good move

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of guys playing professional hockey early unless they are really good. Playing as a #6-7, if even that considering that Kärpät is a very good team, is not great for your development. My impression, and it's just that, is that players who crack lineups in very limited roles tend to get their skill and creativity stymied.

I prefer it for a Nylander, I'd rather have a Loponen in CHL.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
what is sudbury's d like? will he get top 4 mins or is he penciled in as a bottom pair for them

Pholus

May 23, 2014
what is sudbury's d like? will he get top 4 mins or is he penciled in as a bottom pair for them

On the Sudbury thread, their fans are pencilling him in on the top d pairing. It's not like he has very much competition for ice time, the other RD are maybe 2nd pair guys and a 17yo who might get drafted in June.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I like this as a 7th round pick. I believe even if he goes back to Europe after his OHL stint, the Leafs would still maintain his rights due to being drafted out of Europe originally.

I say this a lot with late round picks, but if you can roll the dice with a player who's rights will be maintained longer it probably works in your benefit. Most players in the later rounds are projects anyways so they'll need the time.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
On the Sudbury thread, their fans are pencilling him in on the top d pairing. It's not like he has very much competition for ice time, the other RD are maybe 2nd pair guys and a 17yo who might get drafted in June.

great thanks. Im all for the OHL move as long as he gets serious mins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->