Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 5th-round (#146) -- Michael Koster - 5' 9"/172 lbs HIGH-MN CHASKA

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
That's why a lot of the objective analytical models are much, much higher on the Leafs prospect pool than many casuals. They just have a ton of likely NHL players. Sure there's no Stuetzle but the depth of the pool is insane.

And obviously not all will make it or make the team, but the more guys you have as potential players you can plug in to your line up is HUGE, it's invaluable in this NHL.

We were lacking that under the old guys.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Koster's team just won 10-0, with dmen team mates like Lacombe racking up 5 assists, and Faber putting up points. Koster didn't get a point, but I don't care. This guy has NHL feet and close to NHL decision making. He's a long term project, but I will be very interested to see if he will develop enough to get some time in the NHL in 3-4 years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Koster's team just won 10-0, with dmen team mates like Lacombe racking up 5 assists, and Faber putting up points. Koster didn't get a point, but I don't care. This guy has NHL feet and close to NHL decision making. He's a long term project, but I will be very interested to see if he will develop enough to get some time in the NHL in 3-4 years.

He had a good game despite being pointless tonight.

Hes become one of my favorite "sleeper" Leafs prospects to keep tabs on

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He had a good game despite being pointless tonight.

Hes become one of my favorite "sleeper" Leafs prospects to keep tabs on
Yeah, thats what I thought. I think he's at least as good as the other, much more publicized, Johnson, Faber, and Lacombe.

Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yeah, thats what I thought. I think he's at least as good as the other, much more publicized, Johnson, Faber, and Lacombe.

Yeah, guys in the NCAA I think tend to fall off the radar a bit for a lot of Canada based fans. Part of that i think is the lesser media coverage and the fact that those guysnoften out off signing contracts for at least 2-3 years post draft due to ncaa eligibility constraints.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Flew under the radar with Faber, Lacombe and Ryan Johnson on the blueline for the Gophers.

Where is he in terms of being an NHL prospect?

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Interestingly, he could become a free agent July 1 if wanted. Expectation is he'll be back at the U, though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Interestingly, he could become a free agent July 1 if wanted. Expectation is he'll be back at the U, though.

August 15th, but yes, if he submits paperwork to his school, then he can become a free agent.

Thing is, he probably would not get a great ELC from anyone so he is better off going back to school.

There are actually some interesting names who should be available either this year or next:

Jay O'Brien
John Farinacci
Robert Mastrosimone
Case McCarthy
Slava Demin
Ryan Johnson
Kevin Wall

There are also guys like Skyler Brind'Amour and Jake Wise who have signed PTO's with other teams but haven't signed anything permanent (AHL deal or SPC).

Personally, I think Farinacci would be a decent target for a prospect swap from ARI. Not convinced he returns to the NCAA since he would need to transfer from Harvard. RH center and we probably have seen a decent amount of him with Abruzzese and Miller both playing there. He will need some time but could turn into a solid bottom 6 center for us.

Reactions: uncleben

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
August 15th, but yes, if he submits paperwork to his school, then he can become a free agent.

Thing is, he probably would not get a great ELC from anyone so he is better off going back to school.

There are actually some interesting names who should be available either this year or next:

Jay O'Brien
John Farinacci
Robert Mastrosimone
Case McCarthy
Slava Demin
Ryan Johnson
Kevin Wall

There are also guys like Skyler Brind'Amour and Jake Wise who have signed PTO's with other teams but haven't signed anything permanent (AHL deal or SPC).

Personally, I think Farinacci would be a decent target for a prospect swap from ARI. Not convinced he returns to the NCAA since he would need to transfer from Harvard. RH center and we probably have seen a decent amount of him with Abruzzese and Miller both playing there. He will need some time but could turn into a solid bottom 6 center for us.
July 1 unless the rules have changed. He's in the Blake Wheeler/Justin Schultz situation. 1 year of juniors post draft, and then three years college. Different than 4 years college.

Same thing Mike Reilly did and sure I'll remember others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad