Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 4th-round (#115) -- C Mikhail Abramov - VICTORIAVILLE QMJHL - 5' 11"/161 LBS

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Kind of makes sense that he was picked by Dubas, as I was thinking of him like SDAv2.

P.S. Likely not related to Vitali at all, definitely not a brother.

Does this pick have the Caser stamp of approval?

Where did you project him?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Does this pick have the Caser stamp of approval?

Where did you project him?

I can't say I watch him too much this season, but from what I saw Abramov has great playmaking instincts, the timing on his passes is just perfect. Additionally he is pretty strong for his size. But yeah, I'd say decent value for a 4th round pick.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I'm not sure why but of all our prospects he's my dark horse pick to out do his draft position and be a player in the NHL...Of course I said that about Dzierkels also (haven't given up on him yet though)

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto
I'm not sure why but of all our prospects he's my dark horse pick to out do his draft position and be a player in the NHL...Of course I said that about Dzierkels also (haven't given up on him yet though)
I had holowell as my least favourite draft pick from last draft and was happily proven wrong so I think instead of me saying I don’t like this pick I’ll say I hope I’m proven wrong again

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I had holowell as my least favourite draft pick from last draft and was happily proven wrong so I think instead of me saying I don’t like this pick I’ll say I hope I’m proven wrong again

The more we stock up on the small skill long shot variety the more I'm skeptical of the strategy. When you look at what Boston did with Torey Krug and Brad Marchand, it makes a lot of sense. It worked out brilliantly. But they brought they into a system with a lot of big bodies and support. Not sure how a team with multiple sub 5'9" guys will perform.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The more we stock up on the small skill long shot variety the more I'm skeptical of the strategy. When you look at what Boston did with Torey Krug and Brad Marchand, it makes a lot of sense. It worked out brilliantly. But they brought they into a system with a lot of big bodies and support. Not sure how a team with multiple sub 5'9" guys will perform.
It is fairly obvious that some of them will not wear a Leafs jersey. They will be used as trade baits to make deals to acquire good, established players (but may become a FA soon). There is always demand for skills in this league and its easier to use skills as trade bait then size.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It is fairly obvious that some of them will not wear a Leafs jersey. They will be used as trade baits to make deals to acquire good, established players (but may become a FA soon). There is always demand for skills in this league and its easier to use skills as trade bait then size.
Good post.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If we keep going after the smaller skilled players, there is a higher chance those will become NHLers then players with size.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Fairly obvious by now that a lot of those waterbugs carry very little value. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen Carl Grundstrom shipped out for Muzzin ahead of someone like Timashov or Brooks.

Reactions: hotpaws

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Fairly obvious by now that a lot of those waterbugs carry very little value. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen Carl Grundstrom shipped out for Muzzin ahead of someone like Timashov or Brooks.
Grundstrom is 6'0 190 pounds. I highly doubt anyone coveted him for his imposing size

Reactions: LeafChief

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If we keep going after the smaller skilled players, there is a higher chance those will become NHLers then players with size.
I honestly dont understand why people here dont get that hockey isn't about the 6'3 230 lb forward anymore. I mean sure, that would be great if you could find that guy, but the fact is the percentages are higher taking skill over size. Kucherov and Crosby are under 6 feet. McDavid is just over 6 feet tall. 6 of the top 10 point producers are 6 feet tall or smaller. 2 are 6'1. The only ones from the top 10 with significant size are Draisaitl and Barkov.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Fairly obvious by now the smaller players carry more value then big players. Grundstorm is also more skilled then those two.
Don't act he was valued for size cause he wasn't.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Does Size Matter in the NHL?

smaller teams have been more successful than the league’s biggest bruisers upon entering the playoff cauldron. In the NHL playoffs, bigger is not necessarily any better.

Changing of the guard: Small skill reigning tall in the new NHL
The most dramatic increase, at the coveted 20 goal threshold, likely points to an increase of smaller players assuming primary offensive roles as opposed to bottom-six energy duties. Smaller players are trusted with providing offense for their teams and their ability to generate goals has and is increasing year to year.
The fact that the point total increase isn’t just due to “noise points” is a clear indication that the offensive load is being shouldered by this group of players more and more, and is a trend that should reasonably continue this season.
The NHL isn’t the bang-and-crash league it once was. Now, skill and speed reign supreme, taking over as being more desirable than just grit and toughness. Smaller players with skill are being given a real chance to showcase their abilities at the NHL level and these players have delivered.

Small waterbugs over big tree players

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Grundstrom is 6'0 190 pounds. I highly doubt anyone coveted him for his imposing size

Skillwise, Grundstrom was superior.

Point being, another team is going to ask for your assets that checks off more of their boxes for them, not accept a random care package of Brooks, Timashov and miscellaneous small skilled AHL guys.

The best analogy I can come up with is Brendan Leipsic's AHL, NHL career to date. He's bounced around a ton, put up comparable AHL numbers to our better prospects and hasn't ever garnered anything back in a transaction.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I am actually relieved he is not the other Abramov's brother. Vitaly was a lot more offensively productive as a teenager but at 21 that hasn't translated. Different DNA = different growth path (I hope).

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
You know most players don't play 10 years with the same franchise anymore. So trades FAs and alot of other avenues to explore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->