Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 3rd-round (#84) -- D Mikko Kokkonen -- Liiga Finland 5' 11" /200 lbs

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Yeah, assuming you actually believe this guy is comparable with other recent 1st round picks Vaakanainen and Heinola (which I don't see why not), I think it's definitely something we should look into.

Like you said, the Leafs took Liljegren from Rogle, and we can assume it's because a) they didn't like how he was being utilized (played on 4 different teams in draft year, and 4 different teams in D-1) and b) they didn't like how **** the team was.

If they see the same thing for Kokkonen, I hope they don't hesitate.
It doesn't seem like Jukurit is like Rogle though. They just seem like a low budget team who doesn't care to invest in better players to win. I don't follow Liiga though. Anyone know how Honka did while he was playing for Jukurit compared to Kokkonen?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think that's true in terms of the team's stated purpose, Dubas was explicit in his intention to use the AHL & ECHL affiliates like AAA & AA teams in baseball with prospect development being the highest priority. Winning has really been a byproduct of the development aspects going well, but the Marlie teams of the Keefe era have really been prospect-driven, and moreso in the last couple of years after Arcobello/Brennan left

I didn't say it is only about winning.
I said is it also about winning.

Developing in a losing environment might only reinforce losing.

They still want to win.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I didn't say it is only about winning.
I said is it also about winning.

Developing in a losing environment might only reinforce losing.

They still want to win.
I think winning is secondary honestly, like I'm sure that they want the kids instilled with a winning culture, but the Marlies will ultimately account for their success by number & quality of NHL'ers produced, not by Calder Cups. And to that end, I think Kokkonen's development will take priority if they think that his best route is to come to the Marlies, I don't think he'll need to be tangibly better than the alternative

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think winning is secondary honestly, like I'm sure that they want the kids instilled with a winning culture, but the Marlies will ultimately account for their success by number & quality of NHL'ers produced, not by Calder Cups. And to that end, I think Kokkonen's development will take priority if they think that his best route is to come to the Marlies, I don't think he'll need to be tangibly better than the alternative

Defense is a definite hole in their system.

Hope and prayers.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I think the two go hand-in-hand for the most part. Deep playoff runs are great for developing prospects.

Reactions: saltming

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think the two go hand-in-hand for the most part. Deep playoff runs are great for developing prospects.
They mostly do, but I think the personnel decisions will be mostly development-driven rather than winning-driven. Like I don't think it would be tough to find an Aaron Ness or John Gilmour to sign to make the Marlies a better team with better chances of winning a Calder, but I think the spots that would go to guys like that will be filled by real prospects instead with the intention being to develop those guys to being NHL'ers.

And that's what I meant with Kokkonen, if the best decision for his development is to bring him over and steal Borgman's time even if Borgman is a better AHL defender, I think that's what happens

Reactions: Eye Test

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
They mostly do, but I think the personnel decisions will be mostly development-driven rather than winning-driven. Like I don't think it would be tough to find an Aaron Ness or John Gilmour to sign to make the Marlies a better team with better chances of winning a Calder, but I think the spots that would go to guys like that will be filled by real prospects instead with the intention being to develop those guys to being NHL'ers.

And that's what I meant with Kokkonen, if the best decision for his development is to bring him over and steal Borgman's time even if Borgman is a better AHL defender, I think that's what happens

I think it sort of sorts itself out. Put your prospects in the roles appropriate for their skillset and stage of development, and then fill the holes with guys that can, just as they've done with Mueller for the past two seasons.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto

I think everyone’s saying the same thing just different but as usual I agree with you. I think a better way to say what your trying to say compared to what everyone else is saying, would be this example.

Up a goal with 30 seconds left face off in he marlies end , choices are a high prospect who might not Be the best selection to kill off the last 30 seconds compared to a vet like mueller for example, but I believe keefe would put a highly rated prospect in over a vet even if it had a higher probability of us losing (Babcock would play the vet every time) just to increase development and learning opportunities instead of going for the higher probability of the vet doing the job better at that moment.

IMO

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think it sort of sorts itself out. Put your prospects in the roles appropriate for their skillset and stage of development, and then fill the holes with guys that can, just as they've done with Mueller for the past two seasons.
I wouldn't expect the team to be all prospects either, that probably isn't a great development environment. But I think if winning Calder Cups was the important thing, they could ice a team of Mueller's, TJ Brennan's, Mark Acrobello's and have a juggernaut of an AHL team. So I do think that the Marlies count their success by NHL players produced rather than winning, even though they do go hand in hand most of the time.

I think everyone’s saying the same thing just different but as usual I agree with you. I think a better way to say what your trying to say compared to what everyone else is saying, would be this example.

Up a goal with 30 seconds left face off in he marlies end , choices are a high prospect who might not Be the best selection to kill off the last 30 seconds compared to a vet like mueller for example, but I believe keefe would put a highly rated prospect in over a vet even if it had a higher probability of us losing (Babcock would play the vet every time) just to increase development and learning opportunities instead of going for the higher probability of the vet doing the job better at that moment.

IMO
My primary point on this topic of convo is that the Marlies are a player development organization first and foremost. I do see that Keefe would try to put prospects in pressure situations like you're suggesting, and I think personnel decisions are primarily driven by development motives.

Reactions: Eye Test

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
end of the 2nd, Kokkonen with 2 primary assists so far. This is not high level hockey though, guys playing fast (well slow actually) and loose with possession of the puck

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
ya, added a secondary assist after that post of mine. He had a nice line this game but I wouldn't read anything into it, Finland was dominant and it looked like they were playing with a weighted puck because of how slow the game was
He is playing the same way he usually does. Good solid safe game without much flash. I agree the points don't really mean much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad