Prospect Info: Leafs' 2019 2nd-round (#53) -- LW/C Nicholas Robertson -- OHL - 5' 9"/162lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
watching him play, the biggest area I hope he improves on is skating. For his size, you'd never be able to tell he's only 5'9. It's amazing how many battles he wins out there, and how great he is at getting to dangerous areas of the ice. Nobody can seem to stop him. I do wish he was a little bit faster and more explosive if I had to nitpick something, but he seems extremely good in pretty much any facet of the game

Agreed 100% on hoping he gets a little quicker but I feel like his size is quite ideal for the jitterbug style of game he plays. This kid just gets after the puck. I really love the way he plays the game. Reminds me a ton of what Trevor Moore did last year and the playoff run the calder year with the Marlies. Just relentless puck pursuit. It's so fun to watch. Having guys like him, kappy, hyman, marner, JT, moore and hopefully Marchment on the team someday will be an absolute treat. Not all have the size but every one of those guys has impressive hustle and blue collar work ethic.

I wish we could steal a guy like Josh Anderson from columbus for AJ. I think we would be a nightmare for teams when the forwards are coming at them with so much speed, tenacity and high end skill.

Anderson - Matty - Willy
Hyman - JT - Marner
Moore - xxx - Kapanen
Marchment - xxx - xxx

Last edited:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
watching him play, the biggest area I hope he improves on is skating. For his size, you'd never be able to tell he's only 5'9. It's amazing how many battles he wins out there, and how great he is at getting to dangerous areas of the ice. Nobody can seem to stop him. I do wish he was a little bit faster and more explosive if I had to nitpick something, but he seems extremely good in pretty much any facet of the game
I guess you mean straight speed right because he’s a very good skater

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Might be in the minority but I hope he’s sent back to Peterborough ASAP after camp, I don’t want another SDA situation, want him with his club early to start off a dominant season.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Might be in the minority but I hope he’s sent back to Peterborough ASAP after camp, I don’t want another SDA situation, want him with his club early to start off a dominant season.
For real, he won't be seeing the NHL for at least 3 years so theres really no reason to keep him up long this season.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I guess Dubas had him much higher on his draft list and this was a no-brainer at #53.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I'll be honest I didn't know much about Robertson when we drafted him. Have been pleasantly surprised watching him in this Summer Showcase. Plays with good tempo, isn't afraid of corners despite his size, and looks to have some real upside. Should be a good Leaf in a few years time

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Robertson is absolutely fearless out there, though.

Those are interesting snippets, when I've seen highlights of Robertson he's got the puck on his stick and dangling like a bugger or at the end of a shift and his skating looks pretty meh

In that second clip where he's putting the pressure on in the Canadian zone he's shows a really good burst of speed, and keeps it going for almost the entire shift

Skating looks better than I originally suspected

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I think his skating will grow naturally with strength & conditioning training. Definitely not worried about it at all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree. I don't think you keep up kids too long if they have no real shot to make the team. Better to send them back to junior with a clear development plan and to get into a regular routine as quickly as possible.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Send him to train with Nylander.

If anyone remembers Nylander's combine results he absolutely crushed the wingate test. If Robertson can get that initial burst from his legs, he is guaranteed to make the NHL

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Send him to train with Nylander.

If anyone remembers Nylander's combine results he absolutely crushed the wingate test. If Robertson can get that initial burst from his legs, he is guaranteed to make the NHL
He's an out of shape bum now didn't you hear? :sarcasm:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Habs fan here, was watching the tourney mostly to see Caufield but was really impressed with Robertson. I see a bit of Gallagher in him, nice pick for you guys at the end of the 2nd.
Nice to hear. Gallagher was the player I heard by some at draft time.... I like hearing that he's showing it at the level with the best of his peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad