Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 7th Rd Draft Pick (#211 OA) - Semyon Kizimov (6'0, 176lbs, RW, Ladia Togliatti)

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
The late round Russian threads are hilariously quiet because no one knows anything about them. At least this guy has an Elite Prospects page, if I recall correctly, Vladislav Kara didn't when we took him in the 4th round last year.

Reactions: Hoverhand

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Apparently pronounced Sea-men.... I'm not kidding, though the jokes are going to be coming soon.

Nah, someone played you for a fool. It's pronounced the way it's spelled.

Funny that we drafted two Semyons today though.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Kizimov is a mid-sized, yet talented offensive-winger who has great puck skills, allowing him a high-degree of creativity which gives him a lot of flair when the puck is on his stick. He’s a deceptive player who is difficult for defenses to read. His deception is created through his excellent set of hands which gives him a lot of moves. This makes him a dangerous player in one-on-one situations or off the rush. He also uses his move-set to complement the fakes he uses, such as turning his head towards the net to fake a shot before chipping a backhand saucer pass over his opponents stick to his teammate.

Semyon Kizimov selected 211th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs | Maple Leafs Hotstove

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I hope he is willing to come to the CHL through the Import Draft. Would be nice to work with him more closely and see him over here. He could be a late 1st or a 2nd round pick, which could put him on a much better team than he is on Russia. The Togillati program is one of the worst out there, and one of the teams that has trouble paying its players. I would be shocked if Leafs management is satisfied with keeping him there. At least the places our other prospects play are some of the better ones (Ufa, St. Petersburg, Kazan, Yaroslavl).

He needs a lot of work apparently, especially with his skating, but he has a good IQ base to work off of it seems. Apparently was able to develop into a quality defensive player in one year, so learning some more positioning and offensive skills should be easy for him if he is put with the right coach in the CHL. Developing his skating (which from the few highlight clips I saw needs a total overhaul) may require more work, but if he plays here then maybe Barb Underhill can help him with that. Just like our other skill coaches can help him in other areas.

Give him a couple of years in the CHL, and if he is not totally ready, then let him go back to Russia where he should be ready for the KHL right away. If he plays for his hometown team, he probably could get some good minutes at least and maybe by the time he is 22 could be a strong consideration for the Marlies.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
His offensive output is not far off of Grigori Denisenko's, the 15th overall pick.

speaking of denisenko, I was away this weekend and missed the draft I PVR'd it and watched yesterday, Boy did Talon absolutely butcher his name on the stage

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I hope he is willing to come to the CHL through the Import Draft. Would be nice to work with him more closely and see him over here. He could be a late 1st or a 2nd round pick, which could put him on a much better team than he is on Russia. The Togillati program is one of the worst out there, and one of the teams that has trouble paying its players. I would be shocked if Leafs management is satisfied with keeping him there. At least the places our other prospects play are some of the better ones (Ufa, St. Petersburg, Kazan, Yaroslavl).
They are reputable, but not necessarily good for development. St. Petersburg is notorious for bringing in expensive free agents which is bad because it limits minutes rookies like chebykin. The book is still out on kazan but kara will get vhl minutes most likely. Yaroslavl gives top minutes to older players even when korshkov is homegrown and does what’s asked of him (and im bearish on korshkov).

The one advantage of playing for a club like togliatta is he could outplay other players and get top minutes but russian leagues appear to be bureacratic. Chl would be great if he goes to a team that gives him top line minutes. I prefer it if he dominates mhl, then plays in the echl.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They are reputable, but not necessarily good for development. St. Petersburg is notorious for bringing in expensive free agents which is bad because it limits minutes rookies like chebykin. The book is still out on kazan but kara will get vhl minutes most likely. Yaroslavl gives top minutes to older players even when korshkov is homegrown and does what’s asked of him (and im bearish on korshkov).

The one advantage of playing for a club like togliatta is he could outplay other players and get top minutes but russian leagues appear to be bureacratic. Chl would be great if he goes to a team that gives him top line minutes. I prefer it if he dominates mhl, then plays in the echl.

Korshkov got more at the end of the season. It was just a crappy coach that held him back at the beginning. He should get more minutes now and be able to sustain a good level of play over the entire season. Kazan won the entire thing. They do have some high end players but they also do make room for homegrown guys. Kara is not exactly the type of guy who should be in a top 6 in the KHL right now anyways, so if he just showed up, gain some knowledge and experience, and worked on the small parts of his game, then I would be more than happy with that for the next couple of years. After that, maybe he gets better minutes in the KHL or comes to the AHL. Same with Chebykin if possible, since he'll be with Ufa next year, not St. Petersburg. Ufa is an up and down team but they are at least financially stable (I think) and give opportunities to guys like Chebykin, even if they are only in the bottom 6.

Most likely Kizimov is not going to enter the Import Draft. If he was, he'd probably be in Leafs development camp right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad