Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 6th Rd Pick (#156 acquired from BUF) Pontus Holmberg - (5'10", 174, RW, VIK Vasteras HK)

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
What am I missing here? He's a 5'10" winger who has 3 goals (7 points) in 16 games in the SHL.
At the same age 5'10" winger Andreas Johnsson had 22 goals (35 points) in 55 games for Frolunda in the SHL. Johnsson was a 7th rd pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If Liljegren, Sandin and Grundstrom all pan out, I'm fine with exclusively drafting out of Sweden, regardless of round.
While Bergman no doubt would have had some input on Sandin, he's really an OHL kid.

Now, I'm not opposed to giving Bergman more picks, Burke ignored Sweden until late in the draft for years, and they were some of our worst drafting years.

Reactions: IBeL34f

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
What am I missing here? He's a 5'10" winger who has 3 goals (7 points) in 16 games in the SHL.
At the same age 5'10" winger Andreas Johnsson had 22 goals (35 points) in 55 games for Frolunda in the SHL. Johnsson was a 7th rd pick.
Yes,and Johnsson is currently a pretty decent nhler. That would be great to get from a 6th round pick

Reactions: stickty111

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
The above poster mentioned that he was playing center for Vaxjo. Also he didn't have much in the way of luck at the start of the year but it seems to be turning around now. We shall see if he can keep this up.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005

To be strictly accurate, the equivalent year for Johnsson, that is the last year of junior eligibility barring an overage year in the CHL, Johnson had 15 goals and 9 assists in 44 games. That is still better than Holmberg’s present rate of production but not as markedly superior.

But in any case, players progress at different rates. It is possible to be pleased with Holmberg’s development without trying to claim he is the same high quality sniper Johnsson was at the same age.

Reactions: Its not your fault

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Could be a fun time for Leafs fans watching the World Juniors this year.

Swedish posters in the Sweden WJC thread have Holmberg penciled into the top 2 lines.

Reactions: stickty111

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think Johnsson got sick or something his draft year and teams shied away from him if I remember correctly, could be wrong

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Statistically, Johnsson was at a different level at the same age and in the same league. I think Johnsson is a borderline NHL'er.

Sure. In their first full years at 19 (Holmberg is just a few months older - but still 19 for the season) Johnsson was scoring more goals. But he still only averaged about 0.5 pts per game as a 19 year old. Pontus is around that as well, and just as probably based on the first quarter of the season put up similar points. See, not so hard.

Reactions: DanM and stickty111

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Legend has it he had undiagnosed asthma and Leafs picked him up on the basis that he’d be a better player when it’s treated.

I thought the leafs picked him, and then realized it was asthma. I don't think they knew it was and that treatment would make him better.

Reactions: mavis

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Offensively skilled player with good speed and exceptional hockey sense. Skilled at setting up plays, but could improve his shooting ability (EP 2018)
Nice summary. It looks like he's meeting these qualities at the NHL (so far this pre-season).

Holmberg,

Keep going!

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I remember watching this guy in his D+1 and thinking there's no way he makes it to the NHL. He looked like he was skating in mud.

His style gives you the impression that he's a high floor/low ceiling type, but his IQ has carried him so far that I think with time his ceiling might surprise. He looks like an NHLer to me.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
So what do we people think Holmberg's potential is, 3rd liner? 4th liner?
Depends on what position he ends up settling on. I think he could be a 2nd line W as early as this year.

If it sticks at C, his high end looks to be a high end 3C. Not sure he really has the vision or skillset to drive a scoring line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad