Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 6th Rd Pick (#156 acquired from BUF) Pontus Holmberg - (5'10", 174, RW, VIK Vasteras HK)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
not a bad signal to call, but ill show ya a better one for swede players, @KGM
Love it.

Let's get some notes from as many of the Swedish posters as we can. Bergman has a good track record of hitting on these players. I'd like to know what type of player this guy is (is he more Engvall, Johnsson or Grundstrom)?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Love it.

Let's get some notes from as many of the Swedish posters as we can. Bergman has a good track record of hitting on these players. I'd like to know what type of player this guy is (is he more Engvall, Johnsson or Grundstrom)?
dude I don't even think that guy is a leaf fan, but I remember when we drafted engvall in the 7th round he wrote this huge analysis and started by saying "I wondered if anyone would be smart enough to pick him" but this guy could literally tell you everything about the swedes you've never heard of. He did it for AJ, Engvall and that other late rd d man we picked a few yrs back i forget his name. Only problem is it looks like the guy hasn't posted in a few months?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
dude I don't even think that guy is a leaf fan, but I remember when we drafted engvall in the 7th round he wrote this huge analysis and started by saying "I wondered if anyone would be smart enough to pick him" but this guy could literally tell you everything about the swedes you've never heard of. He did it for AJ, Engvall and that other late rd d man we picked a few yrs back i forget his name. Only problem is it looks like the guy hasn't posted in a few months?
Jesper Lindgren?

Reactions: Mikeyg

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Trust in Bergman.

Our 6th/7th rounders from Sweden since 2005 include four NHLers (I'm making what I think is a safe assumption on Johnsson).

Engvall (22 year old top 6 AHL player with size, still might be an NHLer)
Johnsson (15 NHL games and counting)
Loov
Gunnarsson (599 NHL games and counting)
Stalberg (548 NHL games)
Dahlberg
Stralman (806 NHL games and counting)

Reactions: supermann_98

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Gotta wonder how strongly he fits in Vaxjo's plans. Even with Petterson leaving they've got Bokk,Rondbjerg and Carnback as similar aged players seemingly ahead on the depth chart.

Worst comes to worst a loan back to Vasteras to get big minutes in Alvenskan (he played a decent role in them earning promotion) could be an ok situation

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Pontus Holmberg played on Vaxjo's 1st line for quite a bit of the preseason. He will start the season on their 3rd line, with Vegas 3rd round pick Jonas Rondbjerg and St. Louis 1st round pick Dominik Bokk.

I watched a couple of Vaxjo's games, leading up to the regular season and Holmberg has some really projectable skills, such as skating and hands. He's a long shot to make the Swedish WJC in December but if he can stick in the SHL, he'll make it difficult for the Tre Kronor staff to leave him off the team.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Not usually in the business of dropping into other teams forums...

but I kind of had to to say that Holmberg has massively impressed me this year. So smart and has been simply fantastic defensively as a 19 year old C in the SHL.

I have been reading a lot about him, he looks to be pretty solid. I have not watched him much, have you been able to see his games?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Holmberg seems like he's a bit of a Marcus Kruger just from the outside looking in, I had no idea about him when we drafted him but decent find so far in the 6th round.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If Liljegren, Sandin and Grundstrom all pan out, I'm fine with exclusively drafting out of Sweden, regardless of round.

Right!?

We have been finding a few good assets in Sweden lol

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Right!?

We have been finding a few good assets in Sweden lol

Even Rosen and Borgman are nice to have in the organization.

Been to Sweden a couple of times. Lovely people, good hockey players. Like the Canadians of Europe. Them or the Dutch, anyway.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Even Rosen and Borgman are nice to have in the organization.

Been to Sweden a couple of times. Lovely people, good hockey players. Like the Canadians of Europe. Them or the Dutch, anyway.

Fully agree lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad