Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 6th Rd Pick (#156 acquired from BUF) Pontus Holmberg - (5'10", 174, RW, VIK Vasteras HK)

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
Berrrrggggmaaaaaaan!!!
All I can find so far is that he has exceptional hockey sense. :p

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Offensively skilled player with good speed and exceptional hockey sense. Skilled at setting up plays, but could improve his shooting ability (EP 2018)

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The Leafs picked an overager who spent most of the year in the third-tier Swedish league.

... and I'm perfectly okay with that.

(To be fair, he did play 2GP for Växjö in the SHL and according to EliteProspects, will be with them next year. That's a team the Leafs have scouted heavily the past couple years).

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Leafs traded their 6th round pick in 2019, for Buffalo's 6th round pick in 2018.

With that pick, Thommie Bergmann selects.

PONTUS HOLMBERG European Skater - VASTERAS, SWEDEN-3
FINAL RANK: MIDTERM RANK:
POSITION: Right Wing SHOOTS: Left
HEIGHT: 5' 10" WEIGHT: 174

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Love Bergman.

Love skilled Swedish forwards so much.

Holmberg's numbers at all levels of hockey are excellent.

Excited about this pick.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Yes, something else to drop?

Expect Leafs' 6th. to be worse than this next year.

It pretty well has to be. This was the highest 6th rounder possible. At best Leafs tank, finish last and end up in the same position so it’s a 1-year pick for pick swap, except the Leafs still win because it’s a year earlier.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Is it just me, or is this part of an amazing legacy left from Borje Salming?

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Bergman should have had an extra pick to compensate for last draft when no swedes were taken. I frickin love this pick. 0.5ppg in div-1 shl is pretty good. His u20 isn’t that great though but still love the pick!

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
He played for my home town team but as I really dislike that team I never watched a game. To be honest I have never heard of him but if he can crack Växjös lineup next season then he must be good.

Draftin Europe

@draftin_europe
Oct 21, 2017
At Draftin Europe we really liked what we saw of Holmberg this season:

We feel he should have gone higher in this year’s draft even if eligible for the second time. When projecting his ranking overall in fact we gave him 3rd Round value, but that’s without taking into account draft strategies.. like, if the Leafs were comfortable he would have not gone before the 6th Round then they felt like securing the first pick of the 6th was probably going to be enough to grab him. Maybe some other team was playing the same game and got screwed.

He is expected to play LW with Vaxjo next season, but ideally we’d project him as a C long term.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Love the whole ‘Bergman Special’ angle....what other scout - anywhere - has this kinda tag? It’s like what he touches turns to gold.

So, the thread title says RW, but Draftin Europe says LW maybe C. One of my other favourite features of late picks....the unknown :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->