Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 5th Rd Draft Pick (#149 OA) - FILIP KRAL (6'1" 171 lbs, D, SPOKANE, WHL)

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Can someone post that chart that makes this guy look really good. I can't remember where it was.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Can someone post that chart that makes this guy look really good. I can't remember where it was.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
From Hockey Writers,

"Spokane Chiefs defenseman Filip Kral, a talented, mobile defender with limited experience on this side of the Atlantic Ocean."

"Kral’s biggest asset is his skating. He’s got great mobility and uses his acceleration (and awareness) to open up opportunities on the ice."

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
These are the types of picks the Leafs need to make. I think you can seriously argue that this was the second best defenseman the Leafs picked behind Sandin.

He's definitely ahead of Hollowell. Durzi may be ahead of him, but considering where we had to pick him, Kral is a much better value selection.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
good pick. I don't think it was a perfect draft for us by any stretch, but I really like the direction Dubas is going here.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Per THW

"The challenge for Kral is that his defensive game is arguably his weakness, and the physical aspect of that in particular – he can get nudged off the puck in the corners."

When will the Leafs start drafting D-men who can actually play some defense? Enough of these finesse offensive d-men!

Jake Gardiner plays like a 5'9" defenseman.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Per THW

"The challenge for Kral is that his defensive game is arguably his weakness, and the physical aspect of that in particular – he can get nudged off the puck in the corners."

When will the Leafs start drafting D-men who can actually play some defense? Enough of these finesse offensive d-men!

didn't we draft enough of those giants for you the last 2 drafts?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Anyone know if Kral is another player on loan or was he drafted directly from the WHL? He was loaned to the Czech2 team but it doesn't list it beside his WHL team.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Per THW

Sandin is fantastic defensively. Durzi is pretty good defensively as well.

It's all about smart, skill and mobility.

Do you hate skilled players?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Per THW

Sandin is an excellent defensive player. His hockey sense is his best attribute and he has a fantastic stick. Absurdly good at preventing zone entries.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I had him ranked #35, and i would have easily taken him before Durzi. Nice that we got both though.

Came away as one of the best defenseman in Mitch Browns prospect tracker.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Per THW

Username checks out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->