Prospect Info: Leafs 2018 3rd Rd Draft Pick (#83 OA via SJ) - Riley Stotts (6'0", 172 lbs, C, Calgary Hitmen)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I like that he models his game after Mark Scheifele, but he's a 6'0" center so I'm not sure how that translates.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I do not mind Stotts. He is a little bit of a safer pick, but a decent one. I do not think he is BPA, but compared to SDA and Durzi, I can not be against it.

He's really smart in both ends and has good skills in everything. Just not great at anything either, but I can see him learning a lot and being molded into something good.

Reactions: Yamazaki

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
3 points in 22 games with Swift Current, 41 in 47 with Calgary :laugh:
He was in a limited role with the Broncos because of how deep they were, but then went to Calgary and was used a lot more.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he'll be a good Left Wing, wasn't expecting you guys to take him, thought Philadelphia would be.

But you guys should be excited you got him.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Not complaining, but this sounds like a safe pick. A player either needs to be an ok two way player or elite defensively in order to get playing time under Babcock. If Stotts works on faceoffs and his defensive play, he might become Marner's center if both luck and hard work permits

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Dubas mentioned that the Western scouts were all very high on him and had him ranked pretty high.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Hesitant about this pick but I give the benefit of the doubt to Kyle and our scouts. They get paid to do this while I eat pizza pockets on my couch.

Hope he develops and isn't another Shaun Landolt.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Just a statistical note that interested me. 47 games is long enough to be a significant sample, IMO. I wondered how high Stotts might have been picked if he had scored at the rate he did in those 47 games over an entire season. Pure guesswork of course, but maybe mid to late second?

But on impulse, I compared the ppg rate of two players on lousy teams ...
Ty Dellandrea, .88 ppg
Stotts in Calgary, .87 ppg

I’m not claiming Stotts is as good as the 13OA pick in the draft. Lots of things go into drafting besides ppg rates. But the little detail does make me feel better about getting Stotts with a late 3rd.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
AHL C depth:
Brooks, likely trending up with increased opportunity and played some wing
Mueller/Greening - vets
Gauthier, trending down

Post-draft C depth:
Joshua, improved two way play, trending up
SDA, trending up
Stotts, trending up with increased opportunity, might play some wing
McGregor, trending up after nice playoff and with increased opportunity

That seems to be the trend at C. Guys on the upswing, looking at increased opportunity this upcoming year. Let’s hope it continues.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Fingers crossed he has a Sam Steel breakout year as the numbers are close and he didn't have the benefit of Brooks beside him.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Not on my radar. But it looks like an interesting pick. This year will be a good indicator of his development. He was picked on his strong 2nd half (I imagine), so a lackluster follow-up season won't bold well. He will have to come out consistent from the start and build on his previous years finish. But hey, if he develops into a competent complimentary centre that'll be a nice add to this future group.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
AHL C depth:
Brooks, likely trending up with increased opportunity and played some wing
Mueller/Greening - vets
Gauthier, trending down

Post-draft C depth:
Joshua, improved two way play, trending up
SDA, trending up
Stotts, trending up with increased opportunity, might play some wing
McGregor, trending up after nice playoff and with increased opportunity

That seems to be the trend at C. Guys on the upswing, looking at increased opportunity this upcoming year. Let’s hope it continues.

Don't forget ATOs like Ferguson and Plouffe who, after decen't tryouts were signed to AHL contracts and probably have a good chance of making the Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad