Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 6th Rd Pick (#172 OA) - Ryan McGregor - 6'0" 159lbs C\LW - Sarnia (OHL)

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Apparently he had concussion issues in the last off season and wasn't able to do any kind of training. That would explain how slim he is. Maybe when this kid packs on 40 pounds he could become something interesting. He has good leadership apparently.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sting forward embraces leadership role in just his second season in Sarnia

1297884045410_ORIGINAL.jpg

Ryan McGregor practices with his Sarnia Sting teammates at Progressive Auto Sales Arena Tuesday. The 17-year-old Burlington native was recently ranked as a potential second- to third-round pick in 2017 by NHL Central Scouting.

There's been two letters associated with Ryan McGregor recently. First he had an A sewn to his jersey during the preseason after being named a Sarnia Sting alternate captain, then NHL Central Scouting ranked him as a B-level prospect – a potential second- to third-round pick – in its preliminary list ahead of next June's draft.

Based on his current level of development, Sting head coach Derian Hatcher agrees with the scouting service's assessment of his 17-year-old left winger.
“We all think he can truly make a push for the first round, but a lot of that will be up to him,” Hatcher said.

McGregor said being recognized as one of the team's top draft-eligible prospects – centre Adam Ruzicka (B) and goalie Aidan Hughes (C/fourth- to sixth-round candidate) also made the players-to-watch list – boosted his confidence.

“It's nice to hear, for sure,” McGregor said Tuesday after practice at Progressive Auto Sales Arena. “But obviously it doesn't mean too much.”
As for the leadership letter, Hatcher said those duties will be reevaluated this week among the current group and again later this month depending on who, if any, of Sarnia's three remaining NHL hopefuls return for another season of junior hockey.

“We like what he does on the ice, he does things right, and off the ice he's a great kid,” he said. “We see him being a part of our future here for a while.”
Full Story: http://www.theobserver.ca/2016/10/0...ship-role-in-just-his-second-season-in-sarnia

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Wore an 'A' with Sarnia this year - he seems like a classic "Character", "Hard worker" pick with limited potential.

If he can fill out, maybe Casey Cizikas is his upside, which would be great for a 6th rounder.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sting forward embraces leadership role in just his second season in Sarnia

1297884045410_ORIGINAL.jpg

Ryan McGregor practices with his Sarnia Sting teammates at Progressive Auto Sales Arena Tuesday. The 17-year-old Burlington native was recently ranked as a potential second- to third-round pick in 2017 by NHL Central Scouting.

That sounds like a good player with even better character.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
McGregor_AB48283(1)___Super_Portrait.jpg

Burlington's Ryan McGregor is ranked 79th among North American skaters for this summer's NHL draft. McGregor has 13 goals and 21 points in his second season with the Sarnia Sting

Future holds much potential for NHL draft prospect McGregor

It would be easy for a guy in Ryan McGregor’s position to suffer from tunnel vision.

When your name starts getting thrown around in the same sentence as the NHL draft, well, you could excuse a guy for dreaming a little.

Ranked 79th among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting, the second-year forward for the Sarnia Sting does his best to block out the thoughts of scouts and draft rankings. That’s easier said than done sometimes.

"Usually when the ratings come out, my friends and my brother let me know. You’re going to hear about it,” he said. ““It’s been fun. It’s good to know people are watching, but you just have to play your game. I don’t change my game. I just do what I do.”

Sting coach Derian Hatcher says what McGregor does is rare. “He can make those little greasy plays and makes passes in tight spaces,” says the former NHL defenceman. “His overall knowledge of the game — he’s a smart hockey player. The way he thinks the game, you can’t teach that.”

McGregor’s pretty sharp off the ice as well. He was named the Ontario Hockey League’s West Division scholastic player of the month for January, carrying an 82 per cent average in his Grade 12 courses.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Fun Fact:

• Lists former NHL forward Wendel Clark (Maple Leafs, Nordiques, Islanders, Lightning, Red Wings, Blackhawks) as his childhood hockey idol.

Also a fun fact: McGregor was born in 99. Clark retired in 2000.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
McGregor_AB48283(1)___Super_Portrait.jpg

Burlington's Ryan McGregor is ranked 79th among North American skaters for this summer's NHL draft. McGregor has 13 goals and 21 points in his second season with the Sarnia Sting

GEEZ, an 82 gets you scholastic player of the month. If it wasn't for my complete lack of hockey skill that could be me :naughty:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Chances are, you're not drafting for Austin Matthews at this point in the draft, you're looking for the next Zack Hyman.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Next year will be a big one for him in terms of stepping up production. Hopefully he did indeed have a down year.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
you guys sure do have high expectations for a 6th rounder who will never see the NHL

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
you guys sure do have high expectations for a 6th rounder who will never see the NHL

I don't have any expectations because, like you, I've never heard of this guy.

Yet you claim to know his future... There's nothing realistic about pretending to know something you clearly don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad