Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 5th Rd Pick (#141 OA) - Fedor Gordeev - 6'6" 211lbs LHD - Flint (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Same.

Some of these twitter hero reporters made it sound like this guy was Jason Allison slow back there.

Looks like a great skater for someone his size.

yeah for sure, and if like his coach says that he's going to get ample opportunity to play next year I'm excited.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
I liked that video a lot, the point shot for the goal on Tyler Parsons was pretty nasty as well as the few skill moves he showed.

To codify what the coach and others have said about where Gordeev was on the depth chart last season, based on Hockeydb Flint's highest scoring blueliners were two overagers (Mathieu Henderson, Alex Peters) and a 19 year old in between them who could stay for an overage year (Jalen Smereck). Assuming Smereck stays, 2018-eligible Dennis Busby likely gets bumped up into the top four, but that still leaves Gordeev on the top pair virtually by default. That's a lot of special teams time to go around.

As such, I don't think it's too crazy to suggest that Gordeev could push for a 35 to 40 point season next year (something in the region of 10 goals, 20-30 assists). Nothing out of this world, but certainly an improvement from his production this year and similar to the pace that former first rounder and epic reach Logan Stanley was on this season with Windsor.

Gordeev definitely has a lot to work on, but I would consider him a player whose stock as a prospect could really rise next season with a strong year even if the team remains the management disaster it has been in the past. Quite a few interesting Russian d-men in the CHL next season between Gordeev, Sosunov, Samorukov, Rubinchik, Minulin, and Alex Alexeyev.

AstoriaIceNinja

Feb 29, 2016
Astoria, NY (USA)
So Gordeev ranks 10th in the OHL in shots on goal by a defenseman as of this writing (with 155), averaging ~2.5 shots on goal per game. The only other blueliner on Flint with more shots on target than Gordeev is Jalen Smereck, who has 165 while playing in 21 fewer games this season (Mattinen had 110 during his time with the team, averaging better than Gordeev with 2.89 per game before being dealt to Hamilton). It's worth noting, however, that both of those players are significantly older than Gordeev (Mattinen by ten months, Smereck by two years).

Not surprisingly, Flint is one of the OHL's worst teams, at the bottom of the league in goals scored (175) and leading in goals conceded (with a whopping 286), so the extent to which they are getting shelled probably has an adverse effect on everyone's scoring opportunities, including Gordeev's. But it's highly likely that the lack of chances is partially self-inflicted, as Gordeev is 2nd in the league in penalty minutes with 102. This trails only one of these forums' favorite targets of ridicule, Logan Stanley, and by only 1 at that (granted, Stanley has played in four fewer games). Problem is, Gordeev has no fighting majors this year as far as I can tell. As desirable as physicality and intimidation are, overall I think it would beneficial for him to stay out of the box and on the ice. You only help the other team by sitting.

As with last year, Gordeev has flashes of high-end ability. Check out this cheeky nutmeg move against the other OHL bottom-feeder (Sudbury) before he flubs the finish but manages to score a lucky goal. Sorry for not knowing how to embed video, skip to 0:30 for relevant clip:

Mar. 3/18 – SBY (2) – FLNT (3) – OT – Ontario Hockey League

The cannon shot is still there and he is coming along in using it more effectively. Volume shooting is a tried-and-true strategy for success in both junior and pro hockey and Gordeev is no exception; he has just about twice as many shots as last year and twice as many points. I expect that trend to continue next season with Mattinen gone and Smereck graduated.

As this thread has discussed previously, Gordeev can skate very well and keep up with most opponents at the OHL level. He is huge and physical, using his size and reach to shield the puck even while surrounded by multiple defenders. On top of that, Flint have been deploying the hell out of him, so he is probably used to playing a lot of minutes by now.

Since he will be turning 20 next season, he is likely to stay on Flint's top pair and special teams and perhaps receive even more responsibility, and assuming the dumpster fire that is this franchise continues there is a strong possibility that he gets moved at the deadline. Then maybe we'll see what he can do with some legitimate talent around him. That or he gets bumped down to 2nd or 3rd pairing on a contending squad, hard to say. Given his output thus far, I could definitely see him staying on even as an overager, similar to how Chaz Reddekopp did this season for Victoria in the WHL.

To this point, past prospects with comparable numbers to Gordeev's--adjusting for goals scored by their respective team--that I could find off the bat have ended up being mostly minor league pros (Chris Martenet, Jarred Tinordi, Keegan Kanzig, etc). But for a 5th round pick, that's hardly unexpected.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
When he was drafted, he was delighted to be a Leaf...A Toronto boy. Wonder why the Leafs haven't sign him, unless they don't think he NHL good in the future.
Leafs have lots of AHL Dmen next season....lots of youngsters but only Rasenan could be considered big.
Looks like another wasted pick if he isn't signed. \

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
When he was drafted, he was delighted to be a Leaf...A Toronto boy. Wonder why the Leafs haven't sign him, unless they don't think he NHL good in the future.
Leafs have lots of AHL Dmen next season....lots of youngsters but only Rasenan could be considered big.
Looks like another wasted pick if he isn't signed. \

Rasanen won't even be there. He's going to Jokerit next year.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I’ll admit I’ve only seen highlights, but I like his tools and hope we sign him.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
I’ll admit I’ve only seen highlights, but I like his tools and hope we sign him.
I think they’d be foolish not to sign him he seems to have the skills we lack Big mobile play is a good two way game Not a goon

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Had a dream we traded him to Chicago. Let's see if it comes true (not that I want it to. Hope we give him an ELC.)

Is the hold-up here that he doesn't want to sign an AHL deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad