Prospect Info: Leafs 2017 5th Rd Pick (#141 OA) - Fedor Gordeev - 6'6" 211lbs LHD - Flint (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
From the interview, this was his first season playing D full-time?

I could see the appeal of giving Babcock and co a 6'6 completely raw player to mould as they see fit.

Even an Engelland/Lovejoy type that never showed much offense early on are still capable of returning more than their worth if developed properly. And those two are only 6'1/6'2.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
"This years Keaton Middleton"

:laugh: might explain why Hunter liked him

Thanks for sharing

Middleton, Mattinen and Gordeev are all very similar picks. The only thing I am worried about with guys like Gordeev and Mattinen is that we only get two years with them before we lose their rights, and they are not going to be ready in two years. Well Middleton likely will be, but Gordeev and Mattinen? I'm not so sure.

It's nice to have size on the back end though, especially when you've got a bunch of guys with puck skills or some sort of offensive tool as well.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Middleton, Mattinen and Gordeev are all very similar picks. The only thing I am worried about with guys like Gordeev and Mattinen is that we only get two years with them before we lose their rights, and they are not going to be ready in two years. Well Middleton likely will be, but Gordeev and Mattinen? I'm not so sure.

It's nice to have size on the back end though, especially when you've got a bunch of guys with puck skills or some sort of offensive tool as well.

Three years to sign them. If we don't, they go back into the draft like Korostelev did.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Three years to sign them. If we don't, they go back into the draft like Korostelev did.

You only get two years with CHLers. Korostelev was drafted in 2015, now is out of rights. Desrocher was the same (drafted in 2015).

We still hold the rights of 2016 CHL guys for one more year.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You only get two years with CHLers. Korostelev was drafted in 2015, now is out of rights. Desrocher was the same (drafted in 2015).

We still hold the rights of 2016 CHL guys for one more year.

I always thought it was 3 years, my bad.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I don't mind that to be honest. Take a flier in the late rounds and if they take big steps in their development then it's a gem.. if not odds are they will likely not be worth signing to an ELC anyway. Saves a contract spot

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Even though his stats suck as far as point production goes, if you look at the roster he's on, he is in position to be their top lone D next season. They had a lot of D in their final years of junior. This guy could get great opportunity now..

klamla

Jan 3, 2016
At least Rasanen can actually skate and pass somewhat.

Drafting a player who A) can't skate and B) can't score is wasting everyone's time including the kids.

Some of these pick are pure politics and symbolism. Remember Barron Smith.

Seriously they should just trade every pick beyond round 4 next year.

what?

:shakehead lol

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I think this pick is better than some are making it out to be. First OHL season on a weak team and he wasn't even labeled as a defenseman early in the year. Good puck mover and excellent skater. I think he's a better prospect than Middleton and wouldn't be surprised to see him breakout with more opportunities next year. This draft as a whole actually seems very solid after reading up on some guys a bit more.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Everyone before the draft: I have complete faith and trust in Hunter and our scouts. Post-draft: why are we drafting guys like this? I did a 3 second google search and the interwebs says he sucks!. People really need to stop pretending they know who any of these guys are.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Below is an interview from his coach.

His coach says a lot of great things that if true could prove that he has some boom potential despite his mediocre production. He makes it sound like he is proficient at both rushing the puck and skating.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Thanks for that.

After reading and watching, Gordeev is turning into one of my fav picks of the Leaf's draft. Great selection for the 5th. I have a good feeling about this guy.....

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
That interview really shows he has a crazy amount of growth left in his game, he wasn't even a full
Time D until flint traded for him!. Also that goal in the vid is filthy he has some skill. Grew another 1.5" during the season. So needs to contend with being in the ohl for the 1st time, playing full time d for the 1st time all while continuing to get bigger and the challenges that come with him. This is a sneaky good pick, a long shot still but all the negatives about can be attributed to a reason and not just to him being a fridge on skates he's got some skill

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Had a similar Rookie season to Brandon Carlo.

Albiet, it was Carlos Draft-1 year, and Gordeevs Draft year... and Gordeev would have been about 10 months older.

Still, the fact this kid didn't play full time defense until this year, and can skate is going to bode well for us, me thinks.

Solid selection for the 5th round IMO.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Everyone before the draft: I have complete faith and trust in Hunter and our scouts. Post-draft: why are we drafting guys like this? I did a 3 second google search and the interwebs says he sucks!. People really need to stop pretending they know who any of these guys are.

I'm not crazy about this pick because I miss the 2015, go for high skill Timashov-type picks. At the same time though I didn't mind it because I trust Hunter (especially with OHL players). Hard for me to get excited over someone who's never played the position, and scored 13 points in his draft season though. His development needs to be Andrew Nielsen-like this season for him to be considered an actual NHL prospect

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'm not crazy about this pick because I miss the 2015, go for high skill Timashov-type picks. At the same time though I didn't mind it because I trust Hunter (especially with OHL players). Hard for me to get excited over someone who's never played the position, and scored 13 points in his draft season though. His development needs to be Andrew Nielsen-like this season for him to be considered an actual NHL prospect

That's exactly the idea though, and the reason to be excited. Raw picks with great tools on currently huge development curves.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
That's exactly the idea though, and the reason to be excited. Raw picks with great tools on currently huge development curves.

I mean, we learned that in 2015 with Nielsen. Then next season everyone said the same thing about Middleton, and that didn't happen (although I still don't mind that pick). The problem with going really raw in the CHL is that you only have 2 years to sign the player (I thought it was 3), so unless he takes some gigantic steps next season, it's likely he'll never be a player for us.

Fingers crossed though.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
I mean, we learned that in 2015 with Nielsen. Then next season everyone said the same thing about Middleton, and that didn't happen (although I still don't mind that pick). The problem with going really raw in the CHL is that you only have 2 years to sign the player (I thought it was 3), so unless he takes some gigantic steps next season, it's likely he'll never be a player for us.

Fingers crossed though.

Fingers crossed is right, each player is different.

I think Gordeev is a better skater than Nielsen and Mattinen in their draft years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad