Proposal: Leafs 1st pick for Erik Karlsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Hey There! Leafs fan coming in peace.

I wanted to see what Ottawa faithful would think of trading Karlsson straight up for the Leafs 1st pick.

The deal can be explored from all possible alternatives of the lottery, wherein the pick could be between #1 and #4 overall.

I wouldn't expect that the Sens would be interested in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th overall here, but perhaps I'm wrong.

If it is 1st overall, would this be a reasonable deal, straight-up?

I know the Sens have some budgetary constraints, and while Karlsson is an absolute superstar, the rest of his contract may be wasted while the Sens are trying to gain a foothold with their new arena.

It's definitely a present for future type of deal, but I think from a value perspective, it's fairly close.

Thoughts?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
How about we take Nylander for our first? Or Reilly?

I know you come in peace but nobody is trading Karlsson for a pick.

Would the Kings trade Doughty for a pick? Ovechkin go for a pick?

Not a solid premise to begin with

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

I wanted to see what Ottawa faithful would think of trading Karlsson straight up for the Leafs 1st pick.

The deal can be explored from all possible alternatives of the lottery, wherein the pick could be between #1 and #4 overall.

I wouldn't expect that the Sens would be interested in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th overall here, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I know the Sens have some budgetary constraints, and while Karlsson is an absolute superstar, the rest of his contract may be wasted while the Sens are trying to gain a foothold with their new arena.

It's definitely a present for future type of deal, but I think from a value perspective, it's fairly close.

Thoughts?

If there going to trade EK the return would have to be big as 1st round pick 2016/Nylander/Jvr/Bozak.

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
If it ends up being the 1st overall, add Rielly and JVR and next years 1st (not lottery protected) and I'd do it.

Last edited:

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010

Thoughts?

And?

Nothing?

This is a troll job, right?

No?

:facepalm:

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
To be honest for a realistic value of the trade, I would expect the following:

Next 4 1st round picks, Reilly, one of Marner or Nylander and probably 10 million in cash.

Sound crazy? Well you are asking for a player that has only done things that Orr and Potvin has done. And to trade to our biggest rival. And in his prime. And on a crazy good contract.

This is no different than a Lindros or Gretzky type deal.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013

Thoughts?

2nd, 3rd, OR 4th? Maybe 1st, 2nd, 3rd, AND 4th. You'll have to secure all those picks first, though.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
You don't trade elite super stars (Doughty, Karlsson, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, etc) for a #1 overall pick alone.

Regardless of who the #1 overall pick may be, because they are projected to be elite super stars while you are already holding onto an elite super star.

So in short, no.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
sens trading EK for leafs 1st overall pick would save a lot of cash.

let's not forget that chiasson and wiercioch are due for raises, they have to make room for them.

no i'm not serious, this is just ridiculous idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad