Leafs 1978 QF Game 7

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
No leafs game this Saturday so I watched my favorite leaf game of all time online. I was just a little kid at the time but I wil always remember the OT winner by MacDonald.

Some things I noticed:

Watch this game if you want to see what Randy Carlyle is all about. We could use Glennie and Carlyle on this team. Tough and skilled with a great first pass. I don't know why we ever got rid of him. Could use Turnbull too.

Players from that era could all take care of themselves. Skill players don't get run because the stars would give you a mouthful of lumber if you tried. No helmets and no concussions but lots of stick work.

What an effort level on this team. Everyone finishing their checks.

The goalies look like peewees. I doubt we will ever see a small acrobatic goalie like Palmateer ever again.

If RC can get this current leaf team to compete like this I would be a very happy leaf fan

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No leafs game this Saturday so I watched my favorite leaf game of all time online. I was just a little kid at the time but I wil always remember the OT winner by MacDonald.

Some things I noticed:

Watch this game if you want to see what Randy Carlyle is all about. We could use Glennie and Carlyle on this team. Tough and skilled with a great first pass. I don't know why we ever got rid of him. Could use Turnbull too.

Players from that era could all take care of themselves. Skill players don't get run because the stars would give you a mouthful of lumber if you tried. No helmets and no concussions but lots of stick work.

The goalies look like peewees. I doubt we will ever see a small acrobatic goalie like Palmateer ever again.

If RC can get this current leaf team to compete like this I would be a very happy leaf fan

Youngster Carlyle was traded for the same "Draft Schmaft" that has exited forever in TO, with a focus always on winning now, with no patience to develop your own talent.

Dave Burrows and George Ferguson were veterans acquired in trade for Carlyle who went on to win the Norris trophy after being dealt.

PS. The Sittler Era, with MacDonald, Salming, Turnbull and Palmateer is still among my favourite time as a Leaf fan post 1967.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Youngster Carlyle was traded for the same "Draft Schmaft" that has exited forever in TO, with a focus always on winning now, with no patience to develop your own talent.

Dave Burrows and George Ferguson were veterans acquired in trade for Carlyle who went on to win the Norris trophy after being dealt.

PS. The Sittler Era, with MacDonald, Salming, Turnbull and Palmateer is still among my favourite time as a Leaf fan post 1967.

Carlyle AND Ferguson were traded for Burrows, it was not Carlyle FOR Ferguson and Burrows

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=10221#.UTTqFlfNmSo

Last edited by a moderator:

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I don't think that is too much of a big deal if you are right. If anything Mess is doing here is begin to show the long history the Leafs have shown of giving up on their younger players and not valuing draft pics.

Caryle was a hell of a player and one of the few guys that would hammer at the Canadiens each game of the next round. That team needed a little more depth down the middle and a little more scoring and they would have competed for a while. Sad what they did to that team. Lanny and Daryl were my fav players and Borje was right behind.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
I don't think that is too much of a big deal if you are right. If anything Mess is doing here is begin to show the long history the Leafs have shown of giving up on their younger players and not valuing draft pics.

Caryle was a hell of a player and one of the few guys that would hammer at the Canadiens each game of the next round. That team needed a little more depth down the middle and a little more scoring and they would have competed for a while. Sad what they did to that team. Lanny and Daryl were my fav players and Borje was right behind.

i agree its not that big of a deal, but i would expect to be corrected if i misstated the facts like that

carlyle was a highly regarded prospect drafted in the secound round by gm jim gregory at a time where we had a good draft record, and the trade was another typical "youth for now" backfire

in defence of gregory though, we were "all-in" when we made that trade and dave burrows was a highly regarded steady stay at home d-man when we picked him up who fit in with roger nielsen's defence first strategy whereas carlyle did not, surprising given his coaching philosophy

unfortunately, burrows like beauchemin and komisarek after him "crapped the bed" when he got here and carlyle blossomed into a superstar, unquestionably, with the benefit of hindsight this was one of the worst trades we have ever made, only the passage of time has diminshed the focus on this mistake

Reactions: DivInit23

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I remember watching this game as an infant with my Dad and my brother!

MacDonald in OT was a beauty!

hockeyfanz*

Yes what a game...what an upset. The Islanders were about to embark on their dynasty years. Was awesome.....remember it well. That was a great team...too bad the Habs and Isles were powerhouses in that era. Probably the one single goal that stands out for me on paar is the Nikolai Borchevsky goal to eliminate the Red Wings in the 93 playoff run.

GFK27

Jun 24, 2007

Carlye and George George Ferguson were sent to Pittsburgh for Burrows. George Ferguson was a great skater who scored some important goal in 1978 playoffs.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
This game is on Sportsnet now. Palmateer made great save on Nystrom.

Salming, Turnbull, Caryle, Glennie, Johnasen as a rookie. That was good defense. Must be about defense Leafs ever had. Sittler as franchise center, McDonald was good sniper. Maloney, William's that was tough team. Jimmy Jones, Butler good defensive 4th line. Ellis and Boutette good players also

Must been best team Lesfs had since '67. Good team! Islanders upset was not as big as most think. Lesfs had hell of a team also.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I remember that goal. MacDonald (my favourite player back then) with his broken face in a cage, Leafs limped into the next round.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

One terrible trade after another.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Memories of having to watch that game as a child on a small b&w TV as my sister and Mother were watching "Little House on the Prarie" (or similar) on the family television and wouldn't give it up.
I was so happy when Lanny scored! He and Sittler were my favorite players.

Reactions: hoglund

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Memories of having to watch that game as a child on a small b&w TV as my sister and Mother were watching "Little House on the Prarie" (or similar) on the family television and wouldn't give it up.
I was so happy when Lanny scored! He and Sittler were my favorite players.
I was so upset when the Leafs traded Sittler to Philadelphia, I can't remember who they got for him.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes what a game...what an upset. The Islanders were about to embark on their dynasty years. Was awesome.....remember it well. That was a great team...too bad the Habs and Isles were powerhouses in that era. Probably the one single goal that stands out for me on paar is the Nikolai Borchevsky goal to eliminate the Red Wings in the 93 playoff run.

The Gilmour wraparound on Cujo is up there for me as well (though that obviously didn't have the drama of being game 7).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Some things I noticed:

Yeah that was a really good D and IIRC, Carlyle played great in those playoffs. Carlyle left in the Burrows trade but the one that perhaps even worse than that in the same off-season was giving up Glennie in the trade for Dave Hutchinson who was a tough guy who could barely skate.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
rich costello and a draft pick that turned out to be peter ihnacak?
am i remembering correctly?
did not like that trade
Leafs got a Flyers draft pick named Ken Strong as well. I like Ihnacak as a player quite a lot... but that was one brutal trade in any case.

Reactions: freshwind

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
Still my favourite/most memorable Leaf game of all time. The Sittler era was my introduction to the Leafs and the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad