Leafs’ forward Mitch Marner provides hundreds of Christmas meals to GTA families

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Interesting read ... How much money should we donate to charity? - the Giving What We Can Blog

And in support of marner:

3. Give publicly

Another way to multiply your impact is to influence others through social proof. This is the well-established psychological phenomenon entailing that people tend to do what they see others doing. Because as humans, we are incredibly social animals.
If everyone kept their giving private, most people would think that giving isn't normal. On the other hand, giving publicly can influence others to follow your behaviour.
By being public (but not boastful) about your giving decisions – for example by making a giving pledge – you can help create a social norm where people give more, and give more effectively.

Of course marner isn't being boastful here, although some may take it that way.

Brad C

Jul 12, 2021
its christmas, so im trying to hold back on saying what i really feel about some of these comments. its hard to believe that somebody could actually feel that way about somebody giving.
If your talking about my comment it was more toward the artical author than Mitch

There are people who donate time/money all the time and dont get an artical

Now if Mitchs people made it public that's a different story

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
His actual brand seems to be doing quite well, despite what a handful of randoms on a declining message board repeat over and over lol.

I'm a pretty cynical guy, but I personally reserve my cynicism for people like politicians who actually have real power and affect people's live in the day to day...not an athlete doing charity, who wouldn't get flak if he chose not to help people out.

Good post, but one point to make, he actually made a real impact on peoples lives by doing this. I get you meant policy changes, but feeding families on Christmas is a big deal to those people.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good post, but one point to make, he actually made a real impact on peoples lives by doing this. I get you meant policy changes, but feeding families on Christmas is a big deal to those people.

Yes, marner is like millions of other around the world who give to those in need.
It seems for the most part hockey players are good citizens, and we read about their generosity all the time.
Teams give out awards to these players annually for work they do in their communities.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Did you give 50$ this Christmas? Probably not.

Guess even if it pro-rates to that, he’s still a better person than you
The best part, Marner has been doing stuff like this since he was in junior, so the money argument is pathetic. It’s also well known in Leafs circles that Marner is up there with anyone on the team for giving his time and energy to team/individual causes that help others. He’s a hell of a better person than the ankle biter detractors here, that’s for sure.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I worked with different marketing ploys. Making a logo and slapping it on t-shirts is step number zero.

I gave 10$ to a bum under a bridge on Friday. Thats charity. What they are doing is a concerted marketing campaing.

oh f*** off

1) to think he actually gives a flying f*** what a niche portion of a giant fan base thinks if him; couldn’t be more egotistical

2) $10 to a “bum” (Nice verbiage there marketing guru) isn’t charity. It’s a $10 self pat on the back. Volunteering time and effort into something is charity. Creating an entire foundation isn’t making a t-shirt.

3) see point 1. No one gives a shit what you think. No one is hatching plans to change your mind.

This is someone doing good because they can. i guess some ppl’s own motivations suck so hard they have to project it on other’s.

pathetic

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
oh f*** off

1) to think he actually gives a flying f*** what a niche portion of a giant fan base thinks if him; couldn’t be more egotistical

2) $10 to a “bum” (Nice verbiage there marketing guru) isn’t charity. It’s a $10 self pat on the back. Volunteering time and effort into something is charity. Creating an entire foundation isn’t making a t-shirt.

3) see point 1. No one gives a shit what you think. No one is hatching plans to change your mind.

This is someone doing good because they can. i guess some ppl’s own motivations suck so hard they have to project it on other’s.

pathetic

lol if noone cared, why the tshits and all the branding... dick

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
This is pointless bickering. Yes, It is f***ing peanuts for marner, like any of use giving a homeless person a dollar. Yes, it makes a big difference in the lives of the GTA families. We should be happy it happened without getting our panties tied up about what it means or why it happened.
Marner isn’t a villian. This doesn’t make him a god either

Mods please lock this thread up

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
grown ups are so obsessed with a 24 year old that it's borderline creepy.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
You can acknowledge that was a nice thing Mitch did over Christmas, and he does for better or worse seem like a simple, earnest kid.

And you can also acknowledge that when it came time for Mitch to get his money it got a little ugly because his camp allowed it to get ugly.

It isn’t all binary, nice deed, please show up this April.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stigma
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad