1. Matthews
2. Nylander
3. Marner
4. Rielly
5. Kadri
6. Liljegren
7. Zaitsev
8. Andersen

Dermott will likely replace Gardiner. Kapanen is the next closest forward.
This exactly, except I would add Brown and Hyman to make that list a top 10 lol. Championship teams need guys like Brown and Hyman (especially Brown). And you can't replace them very easily as they are heart and soul type players who dig in the corners, get down and dirty and can play anywhere in the lineup from line 1 to line 4 to PK.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
CORE
1. Matthews
2. Nylander
3. Marner
4. Rielly
5. Anderson
6. Liljegren
7. Kadri

Borderline Core
Gardiner (depends on contract)
Dermott
Kappanen
Brown
Hyman

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Matthews (11)
Nylander (8)
Marner (7)
Kadri (4.5)
Brown (2.1)
Kapanen (ELC)
Komarov (3.2)

Reilly (5)
Zaitsev (4.5)
Gardiner (6)
Liljegren (ELC)

Freddy (5)

All in all, not bad. We're stuck with Martin (2.5x3) and Marleau (6.25x3) for the next few years. Borgman, Rosen, Dermott, Pickard and Leivo aren't core pieces (and no matter what Babs says, neither is Hyman), and I'm 100% certain that at least one of Jvr and Bozak are out (I wouldn't be against giving Bozak 3 more years at his current rate if possible...but he knows some team will give him a 6 year deal at over 5 a year so be prepared to say goodbye, Jvr is soon to be a luxury we can't afford and redundant). Yes I would extend Leo at a slight raise for 3 years, for his voice in the room and two way play, but he shouldn't be playing with Kadri while Mitch toils on the 4th line. Jake can go too if he wants a cent more than 6.

Not that it bears repeating...we need another of our young D prospects to hit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Why do you feel this way?

Freddy has been our best goaltender since Belfour, and wins a lot of games! I'd argue that next to Matthews, Andersen is our MVP.

I think it's a Nothing Compares to Reimer thang.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With Liljegren, Dermott and company pushing up, you'd have to think Gardiner at $6 million might be a little too rich...

Reactions: bobermay

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2017-10-20_20-3-55.png

upload_2017-10-20_20-5-14.png

Interesting.
:)

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Will be interesting to follow... IF (and thats a big IF) we sign Doughty, thats at least 26.5 mil committed to 3 players that offseason... It may be to hard to pull of as we'd only have ~ 22 million to sign 12 players

Matthews: 11 mil
Doughty: 9 mil
Marner: 6.5 mil

That said, we'd have a rock-solid team if that were to happen...

Rielly-Doughty
Dermott-Zaitsev
Borgman-Liljegren

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Am I the only one who thinks Lou will work these deals to be more team friendly? current signings so far have been pretty decent (Brown, Hyman, Anderson).

Core
Matthews - 11.5
Nylander - 6.75
Marner - 6.75
Zaitsev
Hyman
Brown
Kadri
Anderson
Borgman
Liljegren
+/- Rielly

out: jvr, bozak, komorov, shoshnikov, leivo,

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Am I the only one who thinks Lou will work these deals to be more team friendly? current signings so far have been pretty decent (Brown, Hyman, Anderson).

Core
Matthews - 11.5
Nylander - 6.75
Marner - 6.75
Zaitsev
Hyman
Brown
Kadri
Anderson
Borgman
Liljegren
+/- Rielly

out: jvr, bozak, komorov, shoshnikov, leivo,
Not a chance Nylander signs for under 7.5

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
What? He shouldn't be getting more than 7.5 or even 7.5 it depends on how long he resigns for, but players like Ehlers and Pasta should be comparables to look at.
Under the premise of an 8 year extension - nothing less than 7.5.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Matthews (9-11)
Nylander (6.5-8)
Marner (6-7)
Kadri (4.5)
Brown (2.1)
Rielly (5)
Gardiner (5-6)
Zaitsev (4.5)
Liljegren (ELC)
Andersen (5)

Total - 47.6 to 53.1
Roughly free cap space - 22 to 27 million

That is our team. Fill the holes based on those players. I also think lou is going to bring down the cap hits of all our players. Just have a feeling that we are going to get great deals.

Gardiner is not leaving. He wont want to leave when our team is looking great, babcock has really high praise and relies on him a lot, and he is probably our second best defenceman (maybe tied with zaitsev).

Then have kapanen, grundstrom, leivo, hyman, johnsson, aaltonen, bracco, borgman, carrick, dermott, liljegren come fill in the spots on cheap contracts.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
This is how i see the lineup in October 2019

Hyman (2.25)- Matthews(11) - Marner(6)
Grundstrom (elc) - Nylander(7.5) - Kapanen(elc)
Marleau (6.5) - Kadri(4.5) - Brown (2.1)
Martin (2.5) - Aaltonen - xxxx

Rielly(5) - xxxx
Gardiner (6.25) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Borg (elc) - xxxx

Bozak, JVR, Hainsey, Komarov will certainly be gone and our D is a mystery for me. We have very few RHD options so perhabs someone will play their offside or it will be filled externally. I don't think its a good idea to pencil in Liljgren there as he will then be a 20/21 d that will need more time.

Overall ranking the core would go like this imo

Matthews
Nylander
Kadri
Andersen
Marner
Zaitsev
Rielly
Gards

Leafs will need to take advantage of the elc contracts and will have to be very selective of their contracts

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't think Marner is a lock to get 6m AAV until his play picks up for an extended stretch.....a guy like Slavin got 5.3m AAV....one player is a lot more impactful for his team (it's early in Marner's career but still).

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don't think Marner is a lock to get 6m AAV until his play picks up for an extended stretch.....a guy like Slavin got 5.3m AAV....one player is a lot more impactful for his team (it's early in Marner's career but still).

Playing like he is? Absolutely not. Playing like he can? Yeah he will get around 6+ TML will simply say that he is playing a sheltered role and a lot of Pp time. The best way to pad someone's stats is PP and it should almost not even be taken into consideration for contracts unless they are way above league avg at getting pp points.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Hard core:
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
Rielly

Core:
Kadri
Andersen
Zaitsev
Brown

Soft core:
Gardiner

Liljegren (hard core potential)
Dermott (core potential)
Kapanen (core potential)
Grundstrom (core potential)

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
----- Matthews- Nylander
-------Kadri - Marner
--------- ----------- -----------
----------- ---------- -----------

Rielly - ??????
-------- Zaitsev
-------- ----------
-----Andersen

These 7 players are the core. Brown, Borgman, are young guys I would expect to see for a long time, but they are not "core" level players. JVR, Marleau, Bozak, Komorav are actually very replaceable, but you still need to replace them consistently. Those top 7 are players you just can rarely draft, find or develop. They are championship level talents imo.# 1 C, # 1 Winger, # 1 G etc. We were very lucky to find Andersen and Zaitsev.
100% this

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think you'd be very hard pressed to find any good salary comparisons that have him making under 6 million. He put up 60 points as a 19 year old rookie and even though he's been poor defensively these first few games he's still generating offense.

When it comes to wingers salary is first and foremost dependent on offensive production

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Key Players:
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
These are the guys that our team is built around, our franchise players.

Core Players:
Kadri
Rielly
Zaitsev
Andersen
These round out our core group, and will likely stick around for as long as they are viable, unless there's a need for a retool.

Support Players:
Brown
JVR
Bozak
Komarov
Marleau
Hyman
Gardiner
Hainsey
These are the remaining pieces where cap space will be allocated to, within reasonable limits.

Cost-Efficiency Players:
The remaining roster and depth players, this group is expected to put in as much impact for as little dollar amount as possible.

So, some notes.

* Bozak and JVR are among the support players because that's the category I think they fit for this current era. Note within reasonable limits in the explanation, that's what'll likely cause them to leave.
* Gardiner is probably the name that sticks out the most, but I'm not sure they view him as a must-keep at this point.
* Hyman is on that support group for the same reason as Brown. They are on contracts that hardly qualifies as having significant cap space allocated to them, but I'm pretty sure that'll be the case going forward, based on what we know now.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Key Players:
Matthews
Nylander
Marner
These are the guys that our team is built around, our franchise players.

Core Players:
Kadri
Rielly
Zaitsev
Andersen
These round out our core group, and will likely stick around for as long as they are viable, unless there's a need for a retool.

Support Players:
Brown
JVR
Bozak
Komarov
Marleau
Hyman
Gardiner
Hainsey
These are the remaining pieces where cap space will be allocated to, within reasonable limits.

Cost-Efficiency Players:
The remaining roster and depth players, this group is expected to put in as much impact for as little dollar amount as possible.

So, some notes.

* Bozak and JVR are among the support players because that's the category I think they fit for this current era. Note within reasonable limits in the explanation, that's what'll likely cause them to leave.
* Gardiner is probably the name that sticks out the most, but I'm not sure they view him as a must-keep at this point.
* Hyman is on that support group for the same reason as Brown. They are on contracts that hardly qualifies as having significant cap space allocated to them, but I'm pretty sure that'll be the case going forward, based on what we know now.

This looks pretty accurate.

Though I do wonder how management views Gardiner vs Rielly with regards to the team's future

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad