The Star: Leafs’ Mark Hunter works hard to find players that make it look easy

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You can go off the record with rival scouts in tiki bars on Fort Lauderdale Beach. You can go on the record with general managers on the draft floor. Either way, the stories about Mark Hunter are the same.

He is the hardest working scout in the business — the first to the rink during a tournament, and the last to leave. And no one knows hockey talent better.

Hunter, who is sharing the Toronto general manager’s job with Kyle Dubas on an interim basis, put his stamp on the team this weekend in Sunrise, Fla. He did not draft braun — the Leafs’ beat-’em-in-the-alley days are over — opting for the skill of London sharpshooter Mitch Marner, Erie defenceman Travis Dermott and USA-Under 18 playmaker Jeremy Bracco.

Some of his picks have flaws. Sweden’s Jesper Lindgren is small for a defenceman. Lethbridge’s Andrew Nielson was playing Double-B hockey a few years ago. Sarnia’s Nikita Korostelev caved under the pressure of a draft year. But each of the Leafs’ nine picks have big, big upside.

Sherry Bassin, a legendary figure in hockey as owner, general manager and scout in his many days, recalls a conversation with Hunter — who co-owned the London Knights — when Bassin bought the Erie Otters.

“He said the game has changed,” Bassin said. “It’s a skill-oriented game now. And he was right.”

Continued : http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs...d-to-find-players-that-make-it-look-easy.html

Last edited by a moderator:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Well this is not really news, just in Leafland perhaps. Glad we finally have Marker here who can steer the ship in the right direction. I think the addition of him and Dubas will become the most important signings we have ever done.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well this is not really news, just in Leafland perhaps. Glad we finally have Marker here who can steer the ship in the right direction. I think the addition of him and Dubas will become the most important signings we have ever done.

I think marks is well respected in the hockey world , I thought it was germane to reiterate to the armchair GM's who complained about the picks over the weekend that patience and faith in the brain trust is not misguided optimism, we actually have 2 of the best hockey minds in Toronto in Hunter and Babcock.

Unfortunately we wont see the draft results for at least 2 to 4 years but we should see some improvement with the UFA signings and some small improvements with the on ice product right away.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario

Agree completely it makes total sense. Dubas and Hunter both come from jr, emphasis on scouting and talent development. When you're starting a rebuild that's what you need. And ideally over the course of the next 2-3 years each can learn the ins and outs of making deals in the nhl, cap mgmt etc so that when the time comes to make the moves to put this team in contention they are ready and able

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
so according to this article, Bracco was ranked 22nd on the leafs list.... So i guess that means they think VERY highly of Dermott.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Or they figured Bracco had a better chance of falling to 61 than Dermott. I'd kill to see their pre-draft list.

I think they probably had them both ranked highly and figured that it would be best to get a d man after taking Marner at 4.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hunter is very astute no doubt but not enough credit is given to Hofford. This guy has an extensive network through his Pro Hockey Development business and brings along players from a very early age, Marner being one.

Here is some info.
http://www.prohoc.com/page/show/660348-teams

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Or they figured Bracco had a better chance of falling to 61 than Dermott. I'd kill to see their pre-draft list.

I'm sure lots of Execs and scouts talk at the draft and when players start falling, its becuase info has been shared. Barzal, Konecny, Kylington, Roy, Bracco all fell way beyond they're projected place and you gotta wonder what makes 3 to 4 to 10 teams pass up on guys like that or what makes Leafs so confident to drop back 10 spots to get a guy. It's most likely just they overhear people or Dubas/Shanny talking to some other guys on the draft floor about prospects, gauging each other.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

Sounds like Shanahan has put together a pretty good team at the management level. Would still like to see an experienced NHL GM brought in (Futa or McPhee) to be the point man, work trades and negotiate contracts etc. Sounds like Hunter's best role in the organization is to oversee the scouting.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Sounds like Shanahan has put together a pretty good team at the management level. Would still like to see an experienced NHL GM brought in (Futa or McPhee) to be the point man, work trades and negotiate contracts etc. Sounds like Hunter's best role in the organization is to oversee the scouting.

I don't see why this is necessary. Think we already run the risk of having too many cooks. Present personnel look like it may be alright.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'm sure lots of Execs and scouts talk at the draft and when players start falling, its becuase info has been shared. Barzal, Konecny, Kylington, Roy, Bracco all fell way beyond they're projected place and you gotta wonder what makes 3 to 4 to 10 teams pass up on guys like that or what makes Leafs so confident to drop back 10 spots to get a guy. It's most likely just they overhear people or Dubas/Shanny talking to some other guys on the draft floor about prospects, gauging each other.

I'm sure there's alot of fear of the unknown too. I think the initial fall happens because of information sharing but sometimes there's an extended fall for certain prospects. Sometimes guys are ranked in the top half of the first round and end up falling until the late 2nd... I think teams get scared off by the initial fall and then didn't do a ton of research on ten player because they didn't think he'd be available at their pick. They then choose to stick with what they know or who they decided to like rather than take the risk on a faller

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
How does the star know where the Leafs had Bracco ranked?

And if they had access to the Leafs draft list, would they not publish the whole thing?

I like Bracco, but I have a hard time believing the star knew where the Leafs ranked Bracco before anyone else found out.

Swayze*

And if they had access to the Leafs draft list, would they not publish the whole thing?

I like Bracco, but I have a hard time believing the star knew where the Leafs ranked Bracco before anyone else found out.

Somebody told them where they had him ranked................

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON

It is possible that someone within the Leafs leaked out that they had Bracco at 22 to the Star without saying anyone else.

I wouldn't doubt that we had him that high tbh.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Somebody told them where they had him ranked................

It is possible that someone within the Leafs leaked out that they had Bracco at 22 to the Star without saying anyone else.

I wouldn't doubt that we had him that high tbh.

Let's be real. Since when does Kevin McGran have inside sources? He doesn't state a source, so it must be his info.

I like Bracco and would not be surprised if the Leafs had him ranked No. 22.

But, I just can't believe McGran has some kind of inside source that told him where Bracco was ranked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad