Line Combos: Leaf Line Combos and what we are missing

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Id also like to move Hyman off Tavares' line. Tavares stands in front of net, Mitch sets up people.....would be nice to give Mitch another option to pass to which may open up space for them in the process too. I have a trial with Moore on Matthews line so lets go get a physical presence with skill to replace Hyman.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
My guess is Bracco never plays a game in a Leaf uniform. Moore likely has already gotten more NHL time than he ever will again.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
My guess is Bracco never plays a game in a Leaf uniform. Moore likely has already gotten more NHL time than he ever will again.

We are going to be desperate for cheap help. Look at the contracts of our bigs.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Bracco gives you more of what you have. Which is why this team is always gonna be one and done. Time for some guys that’ll play 4 ft from the net and on the boards.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You need the Bracco types to replace the Kapanen type who we likely have to lose because of poor cap management.

A nylander trade at this point won't fetch a "top RHD". You likely get a 4-5 type at this point for nylander. Best to keep him and put him in a position to succeed. Then if we feel we need to trade a forward for D, you do that after next season.

I like the idea of trying to package Zaitsev and Kap or AJ for a cheaper D. I just question if that trade is out there. More likely is you trade Kap for a pick or an ELC D man. Then you look to trade Zaitsev to a team trying to get to the floor. But again, I think that deal will be tough to come by.

Brown has to go for a pick. Replace with the Russian or someone from Marlies.

Our D likely will look worse at the start of next season. Should be Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott, Zaitsev, Rosen and Borgman or Sandin or someone acquired in a trade. Whether or not they turn out to be better than this year's group remains to be seen

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think next year may not be the year to bring up Bracco. At least, not until late in the season. He has one season left on his ELC after this one ends. It'd be in our best interest to burn off the bulk of that last year before he has a chance to come up here and potentially click with a guy like Matthews for example. Keep him down, try to extend him in the fall for AT LEAST another 2-3 years at a good number, then bring him up to the big club where he hopefully badly outperforms his new extension.

If we have even the slightest inclination he could be a very good winger for us, we need to manipulate this contract situation before it can become another Johnsson/Kapanen situation.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Bracco should instantly replace Johnsson on Matthews wing. He is the playmaking winger that Matthews needs to explode. As Tavares has Marner, Matthews deserves Bracco. The kid has better vision and playmaking abilities then Marner himself.

Trade Johnsson OR Kapanen, Brown, Zaitsev immediately. If you can trade Marleau as well even better. That will give you enough space to do what you need to in your lineup. We need a big winger with skill or 2, to go along with a #2 dman. This should give you enough assets to do so.

NEW WINGER - Matthews - Bracco
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnnson/ Kapanen - Kadri - Nylander
NEW WINGER - Gauthier - Moore

Reilly - NEW DMAN
Muzzin - Dermott
2 of Sandin, Rosen, Llijegren, Borgman OR CHEAP UFA (Hainsey on 1 yr deal like Orpik)

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
People are crazy if they are dissing Bracco. Top 6, easy.
Put him with Matthews and it'd get nuts. Kid has fantastic playmaking skills.
People who have not seen him play over the years will not fully get it until he makes the NHL and puts up huge point numbers. But he can't do it by himself. He needs a full ice skating winger on one side who can do all the dirty work. And he needs a centre to play give and go with. Put him with Matty and Moore and I think we have something special. But he still has weakness in his straight line skating game. Lateral skating down low he was NHL ready when drafted.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Bracco should instantly replace Johnsson on Matthews wing. He is the playmaking winger that Matthews needs to explode. As Tavares has Marner, Matthews deserves Bracco. The kid has better vision and playmaking abilities then Marner himself.

Trade Johnsson OR Kapanen, Brown, Zaitsev immediately. If you can trade Marleau as well even better. That will give you enough space to do what you need to in your lineup. We need a big winger with skill or 2, to go along with a #2 dman. This should give you enough assets to do so.

NEW WINGER - Matthews - Bracco
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnnson/ Kapanen - Kadri - Nylander
NEW WINGER - Gauthier - Moore

Reilly - NEW DMAN
Muzzin - Dermott
2 of Sandin, Rosen, Llijegren, Borgman OR CHEAP UFA (Hainsey on 1 yr deal like Orpik)
This is so BANG on. You can see it too. Bracco gets ripped because while Marner can play an up ice then down ice full out shift if game turns into a horse race Bracco stll can't do that yet. But down low he is better than Marner.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
What if we just didn't have a fourth line

3 pairings. Matthews-Bracco, Tavares-Marner, Kadri-Nylander and fill out the LWs\

New plan: Kyle Dubas only gives Babock 9 forwards. Saves on cap too

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
People are crazy if they are dissing Bracco. Top 6, easy.
Put him with Matthews and it'd get nuts. Kid has fantastic playmaking skills.

"I see him carving out a nice career in Europe" LMFAO these people really are clueless.

Bracco is a stud and I've been pushing this kid for a long time. You can't teach hockey IQ, he's got it in spades.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
People who have not seen him play over the years will not fully get it until he makes the NHL and puts up huge point numbers. But he can't do it by himself. He needs a full ice skating winger on one side who can do all the dirty work. And he needs a centre to play give and go with. Put him with Matty and Moore and I think we have something special. But he still has weakness in his straight line skating game. Lateral skating down low he was NHL ready when drafted.

I see a lot of Viktor Arvidsson in Trevor Moore. Not saying he becomes that good (obviously), but their play-styles are almost identical. Would be a very interesting dynamic if that prospective top line did form chemistry.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So, no one else has any thoughts on the contract side of this Bracco discussion?
I mean, if he's as ready to be here as people say, and he's going to fit with Matthews as well as people say too, then he's going to put up numbers. And he's only got 1 year left on his ELC after this. I firmly believe the Leafs need to take a slow approach with bringing him up. Ideally you want him extended prior to him getting a chance to prove either of those things right.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I see a lot of Viktor Arvidsson in Trevor Moore. Not saying he becomes that good (obviously), but their play-styles are almost identical. Would be a very interesting dynamic if that prospective top line did form chemistry.

Moore is another guy I really think we need to be trying to ink to some term now, then greatly increase his opportunity. I like the way he competes.

Fakejake51

Aug 8, 2015
Bracco is terrible defensively. An 11-10 loss is still lose no matter how many points an individual racks up. This is exactly why the Leafs are watching in the playoffs. His grief this fan base loves their October players.

nick942

Mar 15, 2011
Toronto
I wonder if some deal around Zaitsev + Brown for Adam Larsson could be made? Larsson has less term and cap hit and both these D have looked more like third pairing guys over the last few years. Maybe Leafs throw in a B prospect to get it done?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Bracco is terrible defensively. An 11-10 loss is still lose no matter how many points an individual racks up. This is exactly why the Leafs are watching in the playoffs. His grief this fan base loves their October players.

And yet he hasn't been on the ice for a single goal against in this playoffs yet. 4 games, but still.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
When he's terrible defensively is all on him, but not being terrible defensively that's all thanks to his linemates. Classic.

Bracco has come a long way this year, and as somebody who watches him a lot, I think he will be a welcome addition on the Leafs.

He has also made strides in his two way game, but his vision with the puck, and his ability to use edge work in certain situations is what will set him apart.

I think he will surprise some people. I am also amazed by the haters he has within his own fanbase. If this was another player, in another fanbase having the season he has had, they would be ecstatic.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Why would we want that? Matthews & Nylander is absolute dynamite, produced at a much higher rate. We have the possibility to run two absolutely elite C-RW combinations next season that already have 1+ seasons worth of chemistry. I mean, I'd love to see Matthews & Marner together, but there's no reason to split up JT-Marner and/or Matthews-Nylander.

I feel the sentiment but Matthews and Nylander have already been split up. His hold out has already cost us that year of chemistry. Tavares-Marner were amazing, but we still don't know how Matthews-Marner would be as they have never been given extended time together.

Matthews and Marner are best friends and want to play on the same line. The second half of the season Matthews looked disinterested for a long stretch and I suspect it was due to frustration with his line mates. He seemed to ramp up intensity a bit when he was given Nylander back briefly before the playoffs.

I am all for keeping lines together, such as the Hyman-Tavares-Marner line... but I feel giving an extended look at Matthews-Marner is important for this core moving forward. I forget if I mentioned in my original email, but I think Matthews would also benefit from playing with Marner and maybe pick up some of his tenancies for how he creates space for himself, which is something Matthews needs work on,

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
  • Brown
  • Marleau
  • Goat
  • Ennis
The above has to replaced with decently skilled physical players with size and we should be g2g up front... no more silly Petan trades from Dubas

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
With Hyman starting the season injured we will see some new blood in the line-up.

Going to be 2 months of auditions, and we know Babcock likes a certain type of player on each line ... okay yes if there were 3 Marleau's there'd be one on each line but thankfully just stuck with one.

I think there will be size.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Hyman Tavares Marner
Crouse Matthews Bracco
Moore Nylander Kapanen
Marchment Richardson (Russian free agent)

Rielly Hjalmarsson
Muzzin Stralman
Rosen Dermott

Much needed size and grit added and cap works.

Arizona
Crouse
Hjalmarsson
Richardson
2nd round pick

Toronto
Kadri
Brown
Marleau
Johnsson

Zaitsev for a pick

Free agent stralman