Leaf Gear Removed in Ottawa

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Surprised this hasn't been made a topic already, so thought I'd just bring it up since it's been a topic with RSU members for a few days. A few days ago one of our members was shopping at Roots and noticed a huge leafs display in one of its store with no Sens equivalent. He posted it to RSU members then some angry tweets were sent and the store apparently now has removed the gear. Here is an article with both viewpoints and explains the whole story in detail, what do you guys think?

Imo, my team bias makes me glad that they removed the display, cause dislike the amount of Toronto support in Ottawa. However, would have been content with there just being a big Ottawa display while also having leaf gear in the store as well.

http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/o...eafs-merchandise-after-senators-fans-complain

And the pic

torontod.jpg

John Holmes*

:laugh:

Ottawa needs to grow up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Sorry Holmes not happening. Gotta keep up our reputation as a city that loves to complain!

lol, as the article points out, if there was a display like this in Boston with Yankees gear, fans would be more than upset. Don't think it was unreasonable for the person to point it out.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
It's fine to complain about that. You have a Leafs display in an Ottawa outlet, but no Sens? Nothing in retail is above complaints. Tell the store manager you're not spending money there because of their contemptible gall.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
LOL!

Where I work, we sell a bunch of clothes and this includes some Leafs TShirts. I have yet to fold them and opt to leave them in a weird heap every time haha.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Trade Spezza

Seriously though, they shouldn't have to remove anything. Just don't take out all my Ottawa gear!

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
So is RSU paying Roots' rent now, or just telling them how they can and can't decorate their store?

Yes, the RSU threatened to shut them down if they didn't change it... In the future, I would try to refrain from allowing your dislike for the RSU influence what you post, cause you just sound like an idiot.

The Sens Store sells Leafs stuff.
Yeah, its not about the fact they are selling it, more so that its highlighted and on display over the home team. If they want to keep it that way fine, but the original guy merely pointed out its a little disrespectful to for a Canadian Company who knows the rivalry in hockey to do that in enemy territory. It was Roots' decision what to do next.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Holmes*

The Red Scharf Union...

Pretty much says it all right there. They never should have changed their name.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
The Red Scharf Union...

Pretty much says it all right there. They never should have changed their name.

Can thank the Sens Brass for that I believe :) Think it was meant to follow more of the European soccer fan style. I don't mind it. It's also Scarf* lol

John Holmes*

Whatever. Scarf then.

I wouldn't have let the Sens brass dictate anything to me.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Yeah I liked it better too, but the RSU has got some partnerships with the Sens now, and I think they wanted something that didn't suggest other people weren't "real fans". As you can see from "Buck Aki Berg's" post, some people get bent out of shape about it lol

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Yeah I liked it better too, but the RSU has got some partnerships with the Sens now, and I think they wanted something that didn't suggest other people weren't "real fans". As you can see from "Buck Aki Berg's" post, some people get bent out of shape about it lol

A look at the RSU Twitter account tells me all I need to know about people getting bent out of shape over this. People calling it 'disrespectful' and threatening to not shop there anymore .. gimme a break.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
A look at the RSU Twitter account tells me all I need to know about people getting bent out of shape over this. People calling it 'disrespectful' and threatening to not shop there anymore .. gimme a break.

Well that's their choice just as much as it is for the store to sell the stuff. If you want you can write roots saying you support their leaf display and not to change it? Seems you're just looking to cause a commotion with no real purpose lol

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Whatever makes the store more money. It's a free country.

Let's not pretend there aren't a lot of Leaf and Habs fans in Ottawa.

Nothing wrong with registering your discontent I guess, because it's a free country.

I suppose picketing the MLSE bar on York will be next.

I think the lockout has insane hockey fans jumping at shadows.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yep, store can do what it wants.. I don't disagree there are a lot of Leaf fans in the city..

On that note though, It is pretty ignorant to do something like that.. Had they had that with a mix of Sens and Leafs stuff, no one would say anything, but to have an entire Leafs display with nothing Sens is a little over the top...

It's also over the top to say you will boycott etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad