GDT: Leaf burning today! Yard work to commence at 7:00PM @ Saddledome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Looch is the one driving the bus in the locker room right now. I'd put money on it that he gives inspired "Let's F'n Go" speeches in the room.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Hope we get a piece of the Oilers in the Playoffs. We will see who's laughing about the trade.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

There’s no stopping us now

B542D70D-869C-4CD0-BB14-690B1297E5E8.jpeg

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Let me post this little video here (so we can all relive the moment) of Rieder stealing the puck and making a lovely little pass to an open Frolik who snipes the GWG.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Anyone theorize that Ward literally designed his system from the bottom up?

ie: You're only as strong as your weakest link?

It's this mentality where everyone pitches in and works hard to have a respectable bottom 9 that might be the reason for the sudden overall team resurgence. If your bottom 9 is solid, who cares what is going on with the top line (which seems to be shuffled around a little bit too. If the top line is struggling, meh. If the top line is on fire, let them feast.

Reactions: Corpus X

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Rieder has deceptively good hands. You can see he's quickly feeling more confident under Ward and starting to shake off that Oilers season

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm happy for Reider. He came into camp on a PTO, worked his ass off and made the team. He had an awful season in Edmonton (where have we seen that before?) where he had to endure ridicule from both fans and Oiler's management and this fall he went to the Oiler's hated rival and said... "Give me a chance. I'm better than what you saw in Edmonton."
It's taken a bit longer than expected to wash the grease and stink off but he finally has and he's becoming a valued member of the Flames 4th line. Good job Toby.
Toby... if for some reason the Flames don't make the playoffs, nobody here is going to say it's your fault for not scoring 10 goals. Carry on Toby and enjoy your season with the Flames this year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Not me. I hope the Oilers miss the playoffs by the slimmest of margins. Karma's a biatch. Can't think of a more deserving HF fan base.

Cup Run would be that much sweeter if we knock them out.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Cup Run would be that much sweeter if we knock them out.
I disagree. What WOULD be sweet (to me if no one else) is the Flames, who play the Oilers on Apr 4 which is the final game of the regular season, beating the Oilers that game thus knocking them out of the last available wildcard spot..
I have no desire to see the Oilers in the playoffs as that would just validate and reinforce Oiler fans belief in the superiority of their team and the way they play the game.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I disagree. What WOULD be sweet (to me if no one else) is the Flames, who play the Oilers on Apr 4 which is the final game of the regular season, beating the Oilers that game thus knocking them out of the last available wildcard spot..
I have no desire to see the Oilers in the playoffs as that would just validate and reinforce Oiler fans belief in the superiority of their team and the way they play the game.

Look around though. Who is really an easier opponent than the Oilers? You shut down McDavid and you are moving on. Looch would be up for that series too.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Rieder has deceptively good hands. You can see he's quickly feeling more confident under Ward and starting to shake off that Oilers season
Reider could be karma returning to OKG for losing Paul Byron. For years we watched Paul's breakaways followed by a groan... OKG stood by him then he was gone... Paul started scoring and OKG's head exploded.... Now there is Reider who suffered from the same hockey gods early on and he is here to make OKG happier.

I want to see the Oilers finish 27th to show no matter what they suck. Unfortunately we won't have the state of the Oilers address at Christmas this year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Reider could be karma returning to OKG for losing Paul Byron. For years we watched Paul's breakaways followed by a groan... OKG stood by him then he was gone... Paul started scoring and OKG's head exploded.... Now there is Reider who suffered from the same hockey gods early on and he is here to make OKG happier.

Karma? Nah. OKG/SNO has a specific way he evaluates players in mind that's a major outlier. It hasn't proven to be money ball level of genius yet, but there are facets of what OKG/SNO explains that does make sense that are considered blind spots or odd interpretations of known objective information to the rest of us. I am not aware of him being enamored by a guy like Reider from the get go.

OKG/SNO was also not the only who was sad of the loss of Byron (I still say that Byron is still a Flame if Kassian's contract was voided 12-24 hours later) and there were reasons why he was a fan favourite.

Reactions: SKRusty

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Anyone theorize that Ward literally designed his system from the bottom up?

ie: You're only as strong as your weakest link?

It's this mentality where everyone pitches in and works hard to have a respectable bottom 9 that might be the reason for the sudden overall team resurgence. If your bottom 9 is solid, who cares what is going on with the top line (which seems to be shuffled around a little bit too. If the top line is struggling, meh. If the top line is on fire, let them feast.

Who is the top line right now though, because IMO it's Monahan with Backs and whoever else they have, it ain't the Lindholm line that is posted on most depth charts pre-game.

I have two slight complaints about Ward, 1) stop scratching Kylington and put Hanifin with Andersson and 2) the bottom 6 are getting too much ice-time IMO. Yes they are playing well, but Gaudreau should not be getting 13 minutes of ice-time a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad