Leader in points per minute played

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
Very popular stat in basketball, no reason not to look at it here especially with such a big discrepancy in ice time among the top 10 point leaders.

...... ...... ...... Total Ice Time (Mins) ...... Points ...... Points Per Minute ...... Rank

1) Crosby...... ...... 758.16 ...... ...... ...... 56 ...... ...... .07386 ...... ...... 1
2) Stammer...... ...... 749.36 ...... ...... ...... 46 ...... ...... .06138 ...... ...... 4
3) Kunitz...... ...... 658.8 ...... ...... ...... 44 ...... ...... .06679 ...... ...... 3
4) MSL...... ...... 750.04 ...... ...... ...... 43 ...... ...... .05733 ...... ...... 6
5) Kane...... ...... 689.52 ...... ...... ...... 42 ...... ...... .06092 ...... ...... 5
6) Kadri...... ...... 577.8 ...... ...... ...... 39 ...... ...... .06749 ...... ...... 2
7) E. Staal...... ...... 671.55 ...... ...... ...... 38 ...... ...... .05658 ...... ...... 7
8) Getzlaf...... ...... 691.56 ...... ...... ...... 38 ...... ...... .05494 ...... ...... 8
9) Tavares...... ...... 718.52 ...... ...... ...... 36 ...... ...... .05010 ...... ...... 10
10) Toews...... ...... 651.44 ...... ...... ...... 34 ...... ...... .05219 ...... ...... 9

So Kadri is leading healthy players in points/minute...

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I hate this argument. There is a reason as to why he's getting those type of minutes.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
I see your point.... You're saying if Kadri played as many minutes as Stamkos, St. Louis, Kane he'd have as many points? Right?

Wow, he must have the worst coach in the league then!

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I hate this argument. There is a reason as to why he's getting those type of minutes.

Exactly, for example, last night he only got 15 minutes because Carlyle shut down his best players in the 3rd period with a 4-0 lead. Kadri is so good he's causing his own ice time to be reduced.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Give him more ice time so he can get as many points as Kane and Stammer!

Calirose

Mar 31, 2012
6ix
I see your point.... You're saying if Kadri played as many minutes as Stamkos, St. Louis, Kane he'd have as many points? Right?

Wow, he must have the worst coach in the league then!

Nope. Just stats. No conclusions you'll see.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Why doesn't Carlyle just double Kadri's time... and then he can lead the league in points. :sarcasm:

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
And then there's Lupul

TOI: 157:27
Points per Minute: 0.0827

Obviously, it is a small sample size and I don't think he would keep up the pace over a full season, but it is quite the number.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Why doesn't Carlyle just double Kadri's time... and then he can lead the league in points. :sarcasm:

When you have superpowers...it's best to use them wisely.

We're up 4-0. If we unleash Kadri, he'd break Sittler's record but he's a Leaf too...

Just not the right time and place to do that.

NickRash61

Jun 24, 2011
Ontario
I'm a leafs fan and trying to be unbiased here.

Kadri's plays a lot of protected minutes (mind you he did play against Stamkos).

Carlyle has come out and said he allows Kadri to play against teams poorer lines to assist in his development and confidence.

If Kadri was playing against opponent's top lines his points/minute would drop off.

ekespou

Mar 10, 2013

The whole point of advanced hockey stats is that often coaches and front offices aren't doing the optimal thing. If you're going to assume that coaches always do the right thing then there's basically no reason for this forum even to exist.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
The whole point of advanced hockey stats is that often coaches and front offices aren't doing the optimal thing. If you're going to assume that coaches always do the right thing then there's basically no reason for this forum even to exist.

It also assumes that any increase in minutes would be "offensive" minutes. Those extra minutes may be on the PK, or defending against an extra attacker at the end of the game, or defensive zone starts.

Points per minute played is a stat that penalizes players that play the PK.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Its not the best measure, just to use the Bruins as an example becuase I know them best.

The time on ice is spread more evenly in Boston certanly on the PP.

Bruins have the least amount of PP's in the league, there best players get 45 seconds a pop.

The Penguins are much higher on PP's and 5-3's, and they will throw out Crosby for all two minutes.

If the Penguins are getting 6 minutes off pp per game Crosby gets 5minutes
The Bruins get 3 minutes off PP per game Bergeron gets 1.3 minutes

Penguins are short handed less and Crosby won't play to much time on that unit
The Bruins get 4 minutes shot handed a Game Bergeron might get over 2 minutes.

Bergeron will get 16 minutes 5v5
Crosby will get 19 minutes 5v5

An average game with these numbers Bergeron toi around 20minutes
An average game with these for Crosby toi 23.

not shorthanded Bergeron 18
Crosby 23
So Bergeron will get penillized for 2 minutes in a non scoreing situation, this does not get into linemates, kind of an empty stat. offensive zone toi per game might work better.

ProfessorMcFatty

Stats are fun to look at, but they can be misleading.

For example, if I said 80% of car accidents involve a car that is speeding, you might think that speeding causes the accident. But maybe 90% of people just happen to drive above the speed limit.

Anyway,

TOI doesn't factor in:
  • Power Play
  • Penalty Kill
  • Fatigue (from more/less minutes)
  • Injuries (from more/less minutes)
  • Empty net goals
  • etc.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
do you have ES points per ES minute played?

while it wouldnt fix all the issues (ie top players who take tough assignments vs 2nd/3rd liners who get 2nd/3rd d pairings), it would probably fix the pk and pp toi bias.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Stats are fun to look at, but they can be misleading.

For example, if I said 80% of car accidents involve a car that is speeding, you might think that speeding causes the accident. But maybe 90% of people just happen to drive above the speed limit.

Anyway,

TOI doesn't factor in:
  • Power Play
  • Penalty Kill
  • Fatigue (from more/less minutes)
  • Injuries (from more/less minutes)
  • Empty net goals
  • etc.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Say 73% of people prefer coke over pepsi or can't tell the difference 3 out of 5 times...

Could mean 1% prefer coke, 72% can't tell the difference 3 out of 5 times and the rest of the time they prefer pepsi, and the remaining 27% always prefer pepsi...

In which case pepsi would be the preferred choice 558 times out of 1000 and Coke only 10

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
Here are the 5v5 stats of players with more than 400 minutes played. (including Points Per 60 minutes)

Surprising to see Cullen at #3 but I suppose he can do his thing in the 3rd line slot with Koivu, Parise and others for teams to worry about defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad