LD Yan Kuznetsov (2020, 50th, CGY)

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Kuznetsov is a large 6'3 defenseman at 200 lbs who shows great mobility and physical attributes, using his size well and has great skating technique and edges. Really raw defenseman who hasn't shown too much offensively yet, but has a good package to work with. Look for Yan to become more relevant on draft year or even years after being drafted.

Yan Kuznetsov at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looked very good. I noticed the same thing. Very good skater and a quality defensive player. Didn't seem to have much offense though. Wasn't even on the PP.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Headed to UConn either this fall or 2020. The Huskies have been killing it with Russian prospects lately. Iskhakov last year, Firstov this year and now Kuznetsov.

Is it just me or are more Russians going the NCAA route lately?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Headed to UConn either this fall or 2020. The Huskies have been killing it with Russian prospects lately. Iskhakov last year, Firstov this year and now Kuznetsov.

Is it just me or are more Russians going the NCAA route lately?

Is the KHL still not paying their players? (or whatever the issue was) That could be why.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Is the KHL still not paying their players? (or whatever the issue was) That could be why.

KHL pays, of course... to those, who play in the league. These kids are good for the MHL and not big teams, so they prefer to play in NA junior leagues, the same as with Russians in the CHL. It's not that easy to get on KHL rosters.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Just noticed Kuznetsov is officially on the UConn roster for the 19-20 NCAA season. He will likely be one of the few 1st-time eligible 2020 draftees already with a full season of NCAA under his belt for next year's draft. And he's a true 2002 to boot (compare to Ben Brinkman in this past draft who was a late '00 birthdate). This is not a common occurrence for sure outside some top, top prospects and without looking would probably be extremely rare for a foreign player to make such a leap.

Like Brinkman, he is raw but physically extremely well-developed which is probably why he is jumping straight to college. Although by all accounts Brinkman ended his freshman season as one of the Golden Gopher's top defenders at an extremely young age, his inability to put up numbers of "wow" folks against a full slate of much older and more experienced college player did not do his draft status any favors. Wondering if the same fate awaits Kuznetsov who is not a naturally offensive-minded player to begin with.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Just noticed Kuznetsov is officially on the UConn roster for the 19-20 NCAA season. He will likely be one of the few 1st-time eligible 2020 draftees already with a full season of NCAA under his belt for next year's draft. And he's a true 2002 to boot (compare to Ben Brinkman in this past draft who was a late '00 birthdate). This is not a common occurrence for sure outside some top, top prospects and without looking would probably be extremely rare for a foreign player to make such a leap.

Like Brinkman, he is raw but physically extremely well-developed which is probably why he is jumping straight to college. Although by all accounts Brinkman ended his freshman season as one of the Golden Gopher's top defenders at an extremely young age, his inability to put up numbers of "wow" folks against a full slate of much older and more experienced college player did not do his draft status any favors. Wondering if the same fate awaits Kuznetsov who is not a naturally offensive-minded player to begin with.

Brinkman went from high school hockey to the Big Ten, and he was their best Dman at times, pretty impressive/rare + a much bigger jump than Kuznetsov which is USHL to Hockey East. Kuz played for the best team in the USHL, I wonder how much he developed since he wasn't necessarily a go-to guy on that team. An interesting draft guy for sure..

Reactions: BKarchitect

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Brinkman went from high school hockey to the Big Ten, and he was their best Dman at times, pretty impressive/rare + a much bigger jump than Kuznetsov which is USHL to Hockey East. Kuz played for the best team in the USHL, I wonder how much he developed since he wasn't necessarily a go-to guy on that team. An interesting draft guy for sure..

Kuznetsov is a true 17 year old though, where as Brinkman wasn’t. It’s a bigger jump for sure but he was also older, these aren’t really Apple to Apple comparisons.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Kuznetsov is a true 17 year old though, where as Brinkman wasn’t. It’s a bigger jump for sure but he was also older, these aren’t really Apple to Apple comparisons.

Yeah every player is different, period, but Brinkman was not *that* much older, and for my money big ten is better competition night-in and night-out so I would contest that the jump was still very significant in his case, if Kuznetsov can do anything like what he did he will have had a hell of a year

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sounds like the potential is there for him to be a good 1. What round is he projected to go in the draft?

I think it’ll depend on his offense. He’s big, skates well and defends well. If his offense develops a lot, round one. If it develops some, round two. If it doesn’t develop much, three-four.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
He has a lot of points in his first 12 games and it's kinda expected. He's also in Button's list first round. I wonder if this is only because of the stats or Button actually watching Kuznetsov in the NCAA

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Looks like his offense might be coming along and UConn has him listed at 6-4 200lbs also. Could be an interisting prospect to keep an eye on.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like his offense might be coming along and UConn has him listed at 6-4 200lbs also. Could be an interisting prospect to keep an eye on.

Does anyone watch UConn regularly? I've seen a few games of his at the WJAC, and I see very little offense. No better offensively than what I saw last year. Little skill, can't make difficult plays under pressure. His puck moving isn't bad and he can make the high percentage play, but he doesn't seem to initiate much offense.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Does anyone watch UConn regularly? I've seen a few games of his at the WJAC, and I see very little offense. No better offensively than what I saw last year. Little skill, can't make difficult plays under pressure. His puck moving isn't bad and he can make the high percentage play, but he doesn't seem to initiate much offense.

Well, so far he has played only one game at the WJAC, as he was late to the party and also didn't have a lot of practicing with the team, so no surprise the offense isn't there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad