LD Veeti Vaisanen - KooKoo, SM-sarja u20 (2024 Draft)

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

Finnish defender made the Hlinka as an underager after a strong year in Finland. He without a doubt is a guy to keep an eye on going forward!

Last edited:

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I could be counting my chicken before they hatch but this kid could be the next big defensive talent out of Finland and I think there is a possibility he cohld overtake Kiviharju as first Finn off the board in 2024.

Effortless skater, good size, great defensive positioNing - great at controlling his gaps everything you‘d want in a modern day defender. He’s been very impressive at the U17‘s and as Buch mentioned above was impressive as a underager at the Hlinka too.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him making his Liiga debut sooner, rather than later.

Reactions: ddlennon and Keke

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I could be counting my chicken before they hatch but this kid could be the next big defensive talent out of Finland and I think there is a possibility he cohld overtake Kiviharju as first Finn off the board in 2024.

Effortless skater, good size, great defensive positioNing - great at controlling his gaps everything you‘d want in a modern day defender. He’s been very impressive at the U17‘s and as Buch mentioned above was impressive as a underager at the Hlinka too.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him making his Liiga debut sooner, rather than later.
I don't know about that. In Hlinka Kiviharju was clearly waaay more impressive than Väisänen.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My opinion didn’t really change after watching him at the WHC17. He’s good. Maybe a borderline first rounder as an early range. One of the better Finns at that tournament. I thought he was the second best Finn after Helenius.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Väisänen clearly skates good. I think played ok. Didn't notice him much which is probably very good in a game like this. Will be a full time Liiga player next season. Played 11:15 and had 50% Corsi even though KooKoo was outshot by big amount.

Last edited:
Reactions: JabbaJabba

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How this guy is valued TOP prospect in his eliteprospect profile.
Väisänen has been brutally shitty and soft in these U18 WJC's.

Looks more OK SM liiga / Europe dman than future NHL dman.

Reactions: Jukurit

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I know Finnish fans are passionate, but takes like these are why you have a bad reputation around here

so quick to pass judgement over a small sampl size.
How many U18 WJC's games you have seen for Väisänen in these U18 WJC's?
We ( Finns ) have seen all 3 and he hasn't showed jack-shit which suggests that
Väisänen should be legit / solid NHL prospect.

Väisänen is softer than soft-embos toilet paper and shaky as hell when he has puck on his stick.
If it was my decision Väisänen would be sitting into press-box rest of the tournament.
Väisänen has cost too many goals already with his brain-farts.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
How many U18 WJC's games you have seen for Väisänen in these U18 WJC's?
We ( Finns ) have seen all 3 and he hasn't showed jack-shit which suggests that
Väisänen should be legit / solid NHL prospect.

This Väisänen guy is softer than soft-embos toilet paper
and shaky as hell when he has puck on his stick.

If it was my decision Väisänen would be sitting into press-box rest of the tournament.
Väisänen has cost too many goals already with his brain-farts.
atill a small sample size.

to say someone isn’t anything more than a future eurpoe defender after 3 games screams of reactionary

just a hockey fan

Apr 14, 2023
Won't overreact but this tournament hasn't been great for sure. We'll see where he is next year if/when he gets good minutes in Liiga and not scrap minutes as a 7th D. Few positives once or twice but a lot of negatives. And I've seen some people say how he's far ahead as the best Finnish Dman for next years draft, definitely haven't seen anything to suggest that so don't know what those people and their agendas are. Hopefully Liiga coaches start giving chances (when deserved) for these young players instead of punishing them and playing older players who might be better.

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Won't overreact but this tournament hasn't been great for sure. We'll see where he is next year if/when he gets good minutes in Liiga and not scrap minutes as a 7th D. Few positives once or twice but a lot of negatives. And I've seen some people say how he's far ahead as the best Finnish Dman for next years draft, definitely haven't seen anything to suggest that so don't know what those people and their agendas are. Hopefully Liiga coaches start giving chances (when deserved) for these young players instead of punishing them and playing older players who might be better.
I’ve been one of his more vocal supporters, and from what I’ve seen he hasn’t been good this tournament - I still believe he has high end potential but I’m starting to question his decision making and how well he processes the game. Going to need to get more viewings of him but it’s something that I’ll pay close attention to going forward.

Don’t know who else besides me has been vocally high on him, but personally - I have never said he was far ahead the best Finnish D for next years draft, nor do I think anyone else said that. I have said I think he could overtake Kiviharju by the time the draft comes around, and have stated he could challege for a top-10 spot, though. That second statement I’m starting to question…

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
This pass by Väisänen against Switzerland was so terrible. Passes it in between 2 Swiss players in his own zone. There was no way that pass was ever going to connect. Leads to a goal against Finland.

Then another terrible pass against USA in his own zone, also leads to a goal against.

just a hockey fan

Apr 14, 2023
I’ve been one of his more vocal supporters, and from what I’ve seen he hasn’t been good this tournament - I still believe he has high end potential but I’m starting to question his decision making and how well he processes the game. Going to need to get more viewings of him but it’s something that I’ll pay close attention to going forward.

Don’t know who else besides me has been vocally high on him, but personally - I have never said he was far ahead the best Finnish D for next years draft, nor do I think anyone else said that. I have said I think he could overtake Kiviharju by the time the draft comes around, and have stated he could challege for a top-10 spot, though. That second statement I’m starting to question…
Seen multiple people on social media and in person who clearly have something against Finns and Kiviharju especially claiming how Vaisanen is superior and somehow "surpassed" Kiviharju in one year... Haven't seen anything to back that up from my viewings and I suspect it's more about people needing to hate another great Finnish prospect who rightfully gets "hyped" because what's wrong in bashing those horrible Finns right?

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
Can somebody explain to me why Väisänen is/was considered a "top prospect" for 2024 draft? Very unimpressed with him at U18s.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Can somebody explain to me why Väisänen is/was considered a "top prospect" for 2024 draft? Very unimpressed with him at U18s.
May sound stupid but remove those 2 goal costing errors and his play was fine if not good for underager.. that is big if thou

GermanSpitfire

Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He has consistently played up with the ‘05’s,
skates well and has solid defensive awareness.

He Is playing as an underager for one of the worst Finnish age groups in recent memory. Yes he has been bad and made some boneheaded plays that have lead directly to goals, but it feels to me there is some misplaced anger here. It’s not Väisänen’s fault the Finns lost to the Slovaks…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad