LD Urho Vaakanainen (2017, 18th, BOS; traded to ANA)

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Got him rated in the early teens, 4th defenseman in the draft, just outside the top 3 of Heiskanen, Makar and Liljegren. I think everyone gives him enough credit on defense. But while he doesn't own much in terms of highlight reel clips, I thought I saw flashes of subtle IQ brilliance on offence (watched a few Finland U18 games). I think it's a matter of opportunity, seems like sky's the limit.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Overrated player IMO. 3rd round talent. Lacks hockey sense at high pressure situations. Seems to run out of options when he is forechecked hard. At times when he is on his A game he is amazing but is inconsistent.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Overrated player IMO. 3rd round talent. Lacks hockey sense at high pressure situations. Seems to run out of options when he is forechecked hard. At times when he is on his A game he is amazing but is inconsistent.

Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. But first overly negative post about him in this whole thread, of course right after he was drafted.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I just went and watched Bob McKenzie's Final Draft Ranking show and he had Vaakanainen ranked # 22 ( a jump of 2 spots from his mid-season rankings ) so it looks like the Bruins didn't reach all that much.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Maybe you are right, maybe you are wrong. But first overly negative post about him in this whole thread, of course right after he was drafted.

I've watched him since he was 14 year old since he played on junior team in my hometown. I believe he is reach at 19. He is still young player and has room to grow. It's impossible to predict how players will develope but right now i think he was overrated in this draft.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
His name literally means scale woman in Finnish (vaaka = scale, nainen = woman). Don't really know how to get a nickname from that. But what the vaak puns will be common someday lol.

Reactions: Raymoondo

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Next season should tell us more about his potential since he will most likely be a #1 defenseman with PP/PK time with SaiPa.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
His name literally means scale woman in Finnish (vaaka = scale, nainen = woman). Don't really know how to get a nickname from that. But what the vaak puns will be common someday lol.

Well, it actually is split up by: vaakana-inen

Vaakana also comes from "scales" however :) The root is in the deity of wine, Bacchus, which in old Russian is "Vakh" and where it then ended up in Finnish as "Vaaka" and hence the name Vaakana from Savo region.

The Vaakana- people probably were barkeeps or wine storage owners.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Well, it actually is split up by: vaakana-inen

Vaakana also comes from "scales" however :) The root is in the deity of wine, Bacchus, which in old Russian is "Vakh" and where it then ended up in Finnish as "Vaaka" and hence the name Vaakana from Savo region.

The Vaakana- people probably were barkeeps or wine storage owners.

Interesting insights, torniojaws. Indeed, Vaakanainen is a product of the Russian linguistic system, so, almost a Russian prospect with subtle but definitive Russian factor in him.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Interesting insights, torniojaws. Indeed, Vaakanainen is a product of the Russian linguistic system, so, almost a Russian prospect with subtle but definitive Russian factor in him.

That's stupid, so many Finnish names, words and people derive from something Russian related.

A lot of people (myself included) have part Russian ancestry.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
That's stupid, so many Finnish names, words and people derive from something Russian related.

A lot of people (myself included) have part Russian ancestry.

Yup. Not my best posts here. Something lacking there, in humour and substance, in acuteness and implications. I apologize for these deficits but then again that text has already expired in its short term actuality and I have lifted the quality standards for my writings here. It is a wise policy since I can use this platform as a sketch board for my more serious works I get my name and living of.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad