LD Urho Vaakanainen (2017, 18th, BOS; traded to ANA)

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
It's u18, he's having fun out there and it shows as mistakes sometimes. He plays completely different game in real games. I think he's better than Juolevi too.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I hope ten stupid mistakes in a 3 and half period doesn't sound like Juolevi.

I guess Vaakanainen is better than Juolevi at the same age? Not that I don't agree with you.

Who's better at that age I don't know, that's something I'm going to look up more next year, I just meant how he looks out there, not his skill set.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Vaakanainen played a very good game again. Maybe some mistakes too, but nothing crucial. And you who keep dissing him here, just look at Finland's finalist team's best +- players. You will find Vaakanainen at the top. You don't get a good +- in a top tournament like this with just good luck.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Vaakanainen played a very good game again. Maybe some mistakes too, but nothing crucial. And you who keep dissing him here, just look at Finland's finalist team's best +- players. You will find Vaakanainen at the top. You don't get a good +- in a top tournament like this with just good luck.
http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014/6/5/5602668/why-plus-minus-is-the-worst-statistic-in-hockey

Vaakanainen is still raw. He is offensively gifted but he does occasionally wrong decisions with the puck. This was pretty obvious especially against Russia and that caused quite a few scoring changes for Russia.

But overall this guy seems to be first round talent for sure. It's exciting to see what he does next season.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
It's actually more like OOR-hoh wah-kah-NYE-nehn.

I'm Finnish, I know how it's pronounced. I was just trying to write phonetically how I envision most English speakers will pronounce the name.

Edit: Now that I read your comment again maybe you were trying to do the same. It's just that your version seemed too correct, except for the stress at "NYE".

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Isn't his team in financial ruins? What is his exact situation going forward? Any chance he follows the path of Maata and Juolevi and comes to the CHL?

Edit: Didn't realize he left the Blues. So I guess he's a lock to stay at JYP? or could this be a similar play to Alex Nylander, where he is loaned so he can go straight to the AHL, and JYP gets the NHL transfer money?

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Isn't his team in financial ruins? What is his exact situation going forward? Any chance he follows the path of Maata and Juolevi and comes to the CHL?

Edit: Didn't realize he left the Blues. So I guess he's a lock to stay at JYP? or could this be a similar play to Alex Nylander, where he is loaned so he can go straight to the AHL, and JYP gets the NHL transfer money?

JYP doesn't have very good defense so he will most likely get top4 minutes there. Vaakanainen has said many times that he has no interest on playing in CHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->