LD Urho Vaakanainen (2017, 18th, BOS; traded to ANA)

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Blues won 4-1. Vaakanainen himself played a solid game, no bad mistakes but nothing spectacular. But in this case it can be a very good thing.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
This guy is the best 16 year old defenceman in the FEL i've seen. So poised.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Watched the Blues vs the Weasels last night and noticed this kid. I had no idea who he was, but he seemed to be a smart blue liner. He made a couple weak plays in the 3rd last night, but also had a few good rushes with the puck. Every other Espoo dman made far worse mistakes in that game, and he ended up looking like their most competent dman. Then I looked him up and found out he's 16. That's ridiculous.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Watched the Blues vs the Weasels last night and noticed this kid. I had no idea who he was, but he seemed to be a smart blue liner. He made a couple weak plays in the 3rd last night, but also had a few good rushes with the puck. Every other Espoo dman made far worse mistakes in that game, and he ended up looking like their most competent dman. Then I looked him up and found out he's 16. That's ridiculous.

Think about two years ago he was touted by Lehterä (if I remember correctly) to be the most talented defender coming up from the country ever. Obviously somewhat biased comments but what he's doing in the Liga right now is astounding considering the age and the kid seems to be living up to the expectations right now. I'd really love to hear a detailed scouting report on him.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Think about two years ago he was touted by Lehterä (if I remember correctly) to be the most talented defender coming up from the country ever. Obviously somewhat biased comments but what he's doing in the Liga right now is astounding considering the age and the kid seems to be living up to the expectations right now. I'd really love to hear a detailed scouting report on him.

I previously had no reason to watch Espoo despite living here, so last night was my first game. I plan to watch a few more to get a better look at him. All the other dmen made egregious errors at least once. The worst thing Urho did was fail to clear the zone when he had a clear opportunity to do so. He had one really nice rush to gain Oulu's zone in the 3rd displaying good skating. What made me notice him was the smart simple plays he was making. He was tasked with shadowing Puljujärvi when they were on the ice together, and he held his own I thought.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Hopefully he makes the WJC team over Niku/Keskitalo. After a rough start in Liiga he has been extremely solid in the last few games.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Hopefully he makes the WJC team over Niku/Keskitalo. After a rough start in Liiga he has been extremely solid in the last few games.

Yeah, his first game was disaster but after that he have been really solid and brings physicality for his team. Getting alot of ice time and all. Interesting to see how he plays rest of the season.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
http://www.iltalehti.fi/smliiga/2016031421267161_sm.shtml

Not confirmed yet but seems like Vaakanainen terminated his contract with Blues.

I know he said that he would like to stay in Finland but at this point going to North America for his draft year might be the best option.

I don't think so. He better than Maatta and Juolevi when they were at his age. He should take the Ristolainen route and stay in Liiga. I think he's good enough to do so.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It's probably good for his draft ranking, but I don't really see a purpose for him going to North America besides that. In the game I watched he was getting good minutes and responsibilties even as a 16 year old, which impressed me.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Hopefully Tom Nybondas ( HIFK's sports manager) sings this kid to HIFK next couple seasons before he goes to NHL.
Vaakanainen is a lot better and considerably more talented than some non physical poodle Eemeli Heikkinen ( probably one of the lousiest dman's ever in HIFK)

Last edited:

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
His name in English is Valor Horizontalwoman according to Google translate.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hopefully Tom Nybondas ( HIFK's sports manager) sings this kid to HIFK next couple seasons before he goes to NHL.
Vaakanainen is a lot better and considerably more talented than some non physical poodle Eemeli Heikkinen ( probably one of the lousiest dman's ever in HIFK)

Well he's supposedly leaving Espoo Blues so it could happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->