LD Tyler Duke - University of Michigan, NCAA (2022 Draft)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Duke is a great defensive player. Rarely makes any mistakes defensively. Very physical and well built. Plays really hard. He's an excellent puck mover because he's an incredible skater, arguably the best skater at the NTDP right now. His straight ahead speed and edges are both top class. He also handles the puck pretty well and can pass it. I wouldn't say his offense is anything too good though. It might be around average. He could end up being a PP2 guy, but that might also be generous.

Hard player to type because his game doesn't fit molds. He's a tweener in many regards. You rarely hear a defenseman called a defensive defenseman at 5'9, but it would be an insult to his defensive quality to call him a puck moving defenseman. Those guys often get a slightly below-average/average/slightly above-average defensive reputation. Duke is much better defensively than that. The best description might be a two way defenseman, but the strengths of his game are absolutely his defense/skating. I don't know if he has the offense to be considered two-way.

Predicting a range is going to be hard. Does he end up 5'10 or 5'11? If so, a late first/early second range isn't unrealistic. If not, you are talking about a 5'9 defenseman who doesn't bring a significant amount of offense? Thats a risky projection, so that may be more of a 3rd/4th round player. Brother of Dylan, who is likely to be a first or second round round pick in 2021.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/512172/tyler-duke

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
He is a bulldog. Love watching him play. For a smaller guy he is not afraid to go in the corners and battles hard. Defensively he is good, however he runs around a bit too much and would like to see him a bit more positionally sound. Not sure if your assessment of "rarely makes any mistakes" is accurate. He tries too hard offensively and leaves his team in very vulnerable positions A LOT. He needs to learn to make better decisions. But again, he too has time to work on these issues. If he can learn to be a bit more poised and make better decisions, he has good upside - especially if he grows. I think he can go anywhere bottom 2nd - 4th round. The 2022 draft has strong D - I really do not see first round potential.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
He's now transferred to University of Michigan, where he'll be playing with his brother.

Kind of a surprise non-selection for me last year. Obviously NHL teams aren't too crazy about small defensemen unless they're hyper skilled, but I thought his skating alone would get him drafted at some point. He has a a high compete level and willingness to throw himself into plays at both end of the ice, and his passing game is slick and fast-paced.

Certainly once you get to the 5th, 6th, 7th round, he's well worth a draft pick.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Brent Burns Beard