LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Skates like the wind, but also slows the game down to his level. Very few defenseman can dictate play the way he does.

This is the thing that always stands out to me with Smith. He just always seems to be in such control of the game around him. There's such composure and no panic to him, and he has a pretty special ability to dictate pace. Moves quickly, but rarely seems to be in a huge rush defensively. Can then turn things around and push the pace with puck movement. In that respect, he kinda reminds me of a pocket-size Ryan Suter.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Does anyone have any link, etc. to an old Spokane Chiefs game? I'd love to observe him through a shift by shift format. Only the WJC game is shift by shift on youtube.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oilers colour guy, host of the Oilers lunch hour radio show and generally trusted insider:

He apparently also said that Smith makes more sense for the Oilers than Boqvist would (tough time understanding that one... but whatever).
Telegraphing him being picked at 10. Oilers have likely seen him a tonne over the past couple of seasons when watching Yamamoto. A bit concerned as an Oiler fan they're going to just go with the guy they know the best rather than the guy who is actually going to be the best.

But what do I know. I've only seen like 2 or 3 of the draft eligible players play live and it was at the world juniors. Never seen Smith play in my life.

HC7

May 2, 2018
Oilers colour guy, host of the Oilers lunch hour radio show and generally trusted insider:

He apparently also said that Smith makes more sense for the Oilers than Boqvist would (tough time understanding that one... but whatever).
Telegraphing him being picked at 10. Oilers have likely seen him a tonne over the past couple of seasons when watching Yamamoto. A bit concerned as an Oiler fan they're going to just go with the guy they know the best rather than the guy who is actually going to be the best.

But what do I know. I've only seen like 2 or 3 of the draft eligible players play live and it was at the world juniors. Never seen Smith play in my life.

You shouldn't get too worried about who the Oilers will pick. They'll either pick the wrong player, or if they pick the right player they'll trade him for nothing.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
You shouldn't get too worried about who the Oilers will pick. They'll either pick the wrong player, or if they pick the right player they'll trade him for nothing.

Seriously? Look up Oilers first round choices. Except Yak and Plante (did not want him at that slot).. it been solid - Eberle, R.Nash, Klefbom, etc. it’s later rounds that are pathetic.

I doubt you follow hockey much.

Reactions: dss97

HC7

May 2, 2018
Seriously? Look up Oilers first round choices. Except Yak and Plante (did not want him at that slot).. it been solid - Eberle, R.Nash, Klefbom, etc. it’s later rounds that are pathetic.

I doubt you follow hockey much.

It was a joke, call the cops.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

thething

Jul 28, 2014
Does Smith have top paring potential?

I think he does. He has all the attributes teams are looking for in a modern day top pairing defense-men. Great skating, great offensive instincts, and excellent hockey iq on both sides of the rink.

Watching Smith over the past few years I am always impressed by his puck moving skills. Sometimes top offensive d prospects can mask their iq deficiencies at the junior level through their sheer skating ability which later exposed at the nhl level. This isn't a problem with Smith as he is great at moving the puck and gaining zone entries through his ability to quickly read and dissect what the opposition gives him.

In comparison to other top defensive prospects out of the whl over the past few years, I feel that Smith is a better player than someone like Morgan Rielly at the same age.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Jersey fans, you got my favourite player in the draft. I have him ranked at #3 after only Dahlin and Svechnikov. His best assets are skating, IQ, PP, chance generation, zone entries and exits. Oh, he's also better at defense than Boqvist, Hughes, and especially Bouchard. Guy is an absolute steal at 17.

There's nothing this guy can't do. Give him 3 years and you have Duncan Keith (minus the mean).

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
Jersey fans, you got my favourite player in the draft. I have him ranked at #3 after only Dahlin and Svechnikov. His best assets are skating, IQ, PP, chance generation, zone entries and exits. Oh, he's also better at defense than Boqvist, Hughes, and especially Bouchard. Guy is an absolute steal at 17.

There's nothing this guy can't do. Give him 3 years and you have Duncan Keith (minus the mean).

Love reading this and appreciate your insight. Saw some highlights and I can definitely see this.

A lot of us Devils fans are very excited about this pick!

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Having not paid attention, the things being said about this kid in this thread are making me thrilled with the pick. This is exactly the player we need. At the very least he can take over for Greene as the stable LHD that can play 25 min. a night.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Having not paid attention, the things being said about this kid in this thread are making me thrilled with the pick. This is exactly the player we need. At the very least he can take over for Greene as the stable LHD that can play 25 min. a night.

That ability to eat 5v5 minutes efficiently like Greene is one of the things that's always separated Ty Smith from the other "smallish defencemen" at the top of this draft for me. I think he does it with some more offensive flair, but he does have the potential to be that big minute munching stabilizing presence that tilts the ice when he's out there, because of the efficiency in his game.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

Smith actually has quite the mean streak that gets overlooked.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
How does he compare to cal Foote at the same age? Smith obviously had more points but curious to hear what you think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad