LD Ty Smith - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2018, 17th, NJD)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He is really bad at defending and moving the puck for someone getting first round consideration, doesn't have a ton of offensive potential either. Seems to have no idea what to do with the puck at times and can be a turnover machine. Skates brilliantly, however. No way should he be a top 15 pick but would be decent gamble in the bottom half or top of the 2nd that he can improve because he does make some nice plays at times and really is a good skater.

Saying he is really bad at defending is pretty hyperbolic. Also as a draft eligible defender to have more than a PPG suggests he has solid offensive upside. Have you watched him play that much to arrive at your conclusions?

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Enel

May 18, 2016
How big of a difference is between Smith and the other 4 more discussed D's? (Boqvist, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson)

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
Saying he is really bad at defending is pretty hyperbolic. Also as a draft eligible defender to have more than a PPG suggests he has solid offensive upside. Have you watched him play that much to arrive at your conclusions?

Didn't like him at Hlinka either. I watched 2 Spokane games and he had the same problems in both, slightly less magnified. You can say I haven't watched much league play but when you're bad in literally 100% of games including all U18 games maybe you're not a good player at this point in time.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
Didn't like him at Hlinka either. I watched 2 Spokane games and he had the same problems in both, slightly less magnified. You can say I haven't watched much league play but when you're bad in literally 100% of games including all U18 games maybe you're not a good player at this point in time.
He was very good at the Hlinka. Was absolutely fantastic with Spokane this season. Had a very bad TPG and had a fairly rough u-18 but I personally still found him to be one of Canada`s best D-men.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Any fans that watch Spokane play regularly: Can Ty Smith play the right side? Does he ever line up there?

Pretty interested in Smith at 10th for the Oilers.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
As crazy as it sounds, i have him ranked at 3 after Dahlin and Svech.

The way he controls the game, and the way everyone on the ice plays at his speed is just ridiculous. The guy just has IQ through the roof.

Yup his IQ is insane... whoever gets him will be extremely lucky.

I don't have him as high as you have him ranked but IMO he will be a HUGE steal if he falls out of top 10

scoutsystem

Jan 29, 2018
Canada
trackhockey.wordpress.com
Yup his IQ is insane... whoever gets him will be extremely lucky.

I don't have him as high as you have him ranked but IMO he will be a HUGE steal if he falls out of top 10
I could see him going 11th, thats where we had him at our mock draft. His IQ is one of the best in this draft, the thing is there are so many great dmen projected to go early, we had 6 in our top 11 alone

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
This kid had 69 points. Over a ppg. What I don't understand is why he looks so uninteresting or flashy on the ice. What is so special about him in terms of skill?

Reactions: 99664987

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005

The way he controls the game, and the way everyone on the ice plays at his speed is just ridiculous. The guy just has IQ through the roof.

Some team is going to be a very happy settling for Smith. Especially if Bouchard struggles to create space at the NHL level and Boqvist is 2-4 years away. Everything we see says both will be drafted ahead of Smith, which could make for some angry fans as they watch Smith playing in the NHL sooner, which is a distinct possibility.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
This kid had 69 points. Over a ppg. What I don't understand is why he looks so uninteresting or flashy on the ice. What is so special about him in terms of skill?
You must not have watched him in the WHL if you don't think he's flashy. Internationally he was put in a shutdown role which doesn't fit his strengths as well as more of a Karlsson role in Spokane does. He combines high IQ, great puck skills and skates like the wind.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

I have him at #4. No clue why people are saying he can't play defense. He's one of the best defenders in the WHL already even as a '00 birthday.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Mitch brown had a database like ranking system that ranked CHL defenders and fowards, Ty Smith Blew Dobson out of the water when it came out offensive contribution (helping his team generate shots on goal) blew him out of the water when it came too controlled offensive zone entries (this I assume bringing the puck onto enemy zone successfully ?) and a higher neutral zone defense rate.

whoever gets him will have a awesome prospect on hand.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
DbvdAk0WAAIJan3.jpg

Reactions: Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad