LD Tobias Björnfot - Djurgårdens IF, SWE JRs (2019, 22nd, LAK)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
From McLellan:

“For a young man that hasn’t lived here, he hasn’t spent a lot of time in North America, he’s come over to a National Hockey League camp and there’s been a little bit of pressure, I’m sure, because of his draft status, but incredible poise, very few errors or mistakes, positionally sound and unfazed when things go wrong. He’s able to recover really quick,” McLellan said. “A lot of players at that age, you use them for a little while and they try and make up for it. Toby, he regroups and away he goes, so it’s been impressive.”

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
watched him in the canuck/kings preseason game and he's a crazy nice skater and looks very poised for his age. basically the only king prospect who stood out to me or maybe he just outshone the others.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He may get 9 games before getting sent back, seems to have made the cuts. Orrrrr the team may go "wow it's nice putting Doughty with a partner instead of a brick, let's keep him." A guy can dream, anyway.

I know that I was looking at perhaps the Canucks taking him at #10 but to many fans he lacks the "wow sexy stats" factor.

But he might just become what we thought, a very dependable top 4 Dman for 15 years in the NHL.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
watched him in the canuck/kings preseason game and he's a crazy nice skater and looks very poised for his age. basically the only king prospect who stood out to me or maybe he just outshone the others.
Tobias Bjornfot and Mikey Anderson will be part of our Top 4 really soon!

Reactions: LAKings88

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I know that I was looking at perhaps the Canucks taking him at #10 but to many fans he lacks the "wow sexy stats" factor.

But he might just become what we thought, a very dependable top 4 Dman for 15 years in the NHL.

This kid is looking scary good. A bunch of teams might be kicking themselves over this one.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

SaltyElkHunter

Grocery Shopping in the woods
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
Kid makes the right play every time and the game seems to slow down when he has the puck. Poor mans Lidstromesque. Not saying he is comparable to lidstrom overall but some of his game management reminds me of Nik.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Haven't seen anything like this on the Kings in a decade.

He played even better with big minutes next to Drew. They're almost ideal complements.

I had pretty high expectations for two guys who are all IQ playing together, but I was still completely blown away.

There's no way he doesn't at least get 9 games, but if he doesn't stick on the Kings this year, it's only so they can keep him away from an impending tire fire. He's a player now.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I don't think I've heard Drew this happy in a long time. Very high praise for Bjornfot. Steal of the draft at 22? We shall see. Kudos to the Kings scouting staff. Management's hand just might be forced by the time the exhibition season is over. I don't think anyone saw him pushing this far into camp as an 18 year old D man. Very happy with what we have seen so far. The kid reeks poise, structure and positioning on the ice, and he can skate.

Dykstra

whiskey jpeg pgt
May 1, 2010
I know it's been only 2 games that I've watched him but damn, this kid looks amazing

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Bjornfot has looked great, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Sweden. The season is long, and he's still going to be playing in a great league.

It was nice seeing him play along the top pair with Doughty and not looking out of place, though.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Bjornfot has looked great, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes back to Sweden. The season is long, and he's still going to be playing in a great league.

It was nice seeing him play along the top pair with Doughty and not looking out of place, though.
Stop being sensible and spoiling my high :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Probably the most impressive young defenceman I have viewed in preseason thus far. I am also a fan of Dobson, Brannstrom so that is saying something. I think he could play in the NHL, but also think an extra year of development might do him even better next year as a 19 year old. Looks like the Kings have a special player here, a sleeper at #22 that may move up in a redraft.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I remember saying on the Muzzin trade threads that the 1st round pick might end up being the best player from that trade while some were just settling with getting Grundstrom and hope the other 2 pieces become NHLers. There's a quiet confidence to his game that is pretty special to have for a 18 year old.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I remember saying on the Muzzin trade threads that the 1st round pick might end up being the best player from that trade while some were just settling with getting Grundstrom and hope the other 2 pieces become NHLers.
Yes I know which group said that but of course that 1st round pick was the most valuable asset.

Reactions: Mats26

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wow watched him and he's got absolute ice in his veins.

says a lot when a 18 year old defenceman can make things look so easy and controlled.

It's crazy because he's almost better with pressure.

Sure he was making nice plays and being deferential with space, but watching him hard charge into the zone with the puck and toedrag dudes while looking for a pass during a change was something else.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Must say, both Kings and Jets got some talent with their picks. As a Jet fan I would be okay if they took Björnfot, but since we like finns more, Heinola was like 0 suprise..

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's crazy because he's almost better with pressure.

Sure he was making nice plays and being deferential with space, but watching him hard charge into the zone with the puck and toedrag dudes while looking for a pass during a change was something else.

The fact Doughty is raving about the guy and wants him as a d partner NOW is enough for me to love the guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad