LD Tobias Björnfot - Djurgårdens IF, SWE JRs (2019, 22nd, LAK)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Can anyone give me a scouting report or at least elaborate on his game. He seems to be having a promising start to the J-20 season. Any chance he gets a taste of SHL this year similar to Dahlin, Liljegren, and Kylington at the same age?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Can anyone give me a scouting report or at least elaborate on his game. He seems to be having a promising start to the J-20 season. Any chance he gets a taste of SHL this year similar to Dahlin, Liljegren, and Kylington at the same age?

The first thing that strikes you when you see Björnfot play is the maturity in his game, he's physically advanced for his age and he plays simple when he has to. He plays a two way game and does everything well but doesn't have any huge standout elements to his game, the closest thing would be his shot which is really good. His skating can look a bit awkward and he could definitely improve his quickness, it's not terrible or anything though. His production this year has been great but I wouldn't expect him to be a big point producer at the next level. I don't think Björnfot is on the level of those you mentioned and I would be pretty surprised if he got to play in the SHL this season, maybe they bring him up as an extra player at some point though.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He has looked better than I expected in the U18's. His skating looks solid and he makes good decisions in his own end. Looks like a 1st rounder for next year.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
So he might actually get quite a few minutes. His team f***ed up and one of the other Dmen had to leave the game because he wasn't listed in the official lineup

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
How did he look?

Solid. Nothing flashy but played well in both ends. Only 1 game and like 10 minutes toi so very small sample size though. I'd say he's behind our top 6 defenders but he impressed me more during that 1 game than the guys next in line who have gotten quite a few minutes, so would like to see him some more instead of those.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Had a shaky first period vs. a now previously undefeated US NTDP group in the 5-nations tournament, but followed it up with 2 solid periods where he got 2 goals.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Very underrated prospect, IMO.

I don't see much of a gap between him and the guys usually ranked in the 10-20 range - Broberg, York, Heinola, Harley, etc.

Me neither. His second half has been excellent, I can't imagine him not going in the 1st round. Him or Broberg will win the best D award at the U18 WC.

Reactions: 76

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Very underrated prospect, IMO.

I don't see much of a gap between him and the guys usually ranked in the 10-20 range - Broberg, York, Heinola, Harley, etc.
He is climbing my list every time I watch him play. Among the left handed dmen I prefer him over York, Heinola and Harley, very impressive showing, skills, skating, quickness, high IQ, aggressive, leadership and a PP quarterback.
The kind of dman Habs are looking for.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Me neither. His second half has been excellent, I can't imagine him not going in the 1st round. Him or Broberg will win the best D award at the U18 WC.

How high is his offensive upside? I think that could keep him out of the first round. The defensemen who go in the first round without significant offensive upside are usually the big defensemen who are 6'4+, players such as Robertson or Vlasic.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Biggest riser post U18, that kid is a very poised and solid all around defenseman who excels at both defending and generating offense, really like his composure, smarts... Also has the skills to quarterback a PP... I have Bjornfot 14th overall on my list and Im pretty sure he is a lock to go top 20 at this point...

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->