LD Stuart Percy (2011, 25th overall, Toronto)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He is the defenseman version of Mark Stone in Ottawa in my opinion. Underrated due to their playing stye, but will open eyes. When you watch them play, it's not the flashy moves or explosive speed that allows them to be good players. It's their composure, and hockey sense. They know where to be, and what to do, and even better, they know where their team-mates should be if they are doing their job. They can read the play before it happens, and make the smart decision based on what they know to be the ideal play.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Talk about flying under the radar. Only the first page of this thread is from before this season started, how is that even possible from a Leafs 1st rounder. Have to admit I had underrated him myself. He's looked more impressive in the NHL games than AHL games I've watched.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I wouldn't. Wouldn't you be expecting a top-4 defenseman with a late 1st round pick? If he becomes a top-pairing guy it would be a steal, but top-4 is what I'd expect.

You realize most late 1st rounders don't even become NHL regulars, let alone bonafide top-4 defensemen, right?

P0LiUM

Apr 16, 2012
Halifax
You realize most late 1st rounders don't even become NHL regulars, let alone bonafide top-4 defensemen, right?

I think he just meant that compared to other recent leaf players drafted in the late first, early second round, there hasn't been nearly as much chatter about him.

All sorts of comparisons and griping about Gauthier and Biggs, while Stu was basically ignored for 2 years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think he just meant that compared to other recent leaf players drafted in the late first, early second round, there hasn't been nearly as much chatter about him.

All sorts of comparisons and griping about Gauthier and Biggs, while Stu was basically ignored for 2 years.
Biggs is looking like a bust but him being labelled as a potential Lucic or a PWF is much easier to get excited about than a solid top 4 all around D. Gauthier gets talked about alot but not really with that much excitement. I think alot of people think of him as a potential 2nd line center but most likely a 3rd line shut down guy. If anything i think a lot of the reason Percy got overshadowed is his first year after the draft he had injuries and in 2012 we drafted Rielly who really overshadowed him as a prospect.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
BareCompassionateIvorygull.gif

This is actually pretty funny, at least to me.

Percy makes literally a perfect play against one of the league's most dangerous centres. Obtain posession, create space, send one of the league's top wingers on a breakaway pass.

Kessel doesn't bury, play mostly unnoticed, no points.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
This is actually pretty funny, at least to me.

Percy makes literally a perfect play against one of the league's most dangerous centres. Obtain posession, create space, send one of the league's top wingers on a breakaway pass.

Kessel doesn't bury, play mostly unnoticed, no points.

Amazing sequence, loved that dangle after stealing the puck, then such an amazing pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad