LD Stuart Percy (2011, 25th overall, Toronto)

buttman*

I wouldn't. Wouldn't you be expecting a top-4 defenseman with a late 1st round pick? If he becomes a top-pairing guy it would be a steal, but top-4 is what I'd expect.

The history of the draft suggests otherwise. Poster's think 1st round pick -- automatic top 6 forward or top 4 d -- or bust.

Jared Tinordi is a bottom pairing dman at 22. Louis Leblanc is a bust at 18. Ryan McDonaugh is top pairing - at 12 overall. Max Pacioretty at 22 is first line. David Fischer at 20 was a bust. Kyle Chipchura at 18 is a bottom 6 player. Andrei Kostitsyn at 10 never established himself. Chris Hoggins at 14 is a bottom 6 player. Alexander Perezhogin was a bust at 25. Ron Hainsey at 13 is a bottom pairing dman. Marcel Hossa at 16 was a bottom 6 player.

You can look at Max Pacioretty as the only guys that fits. So it's clear it is more the exception than the rule.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
just another one of many underrated leafs prospects.

percy, johnson, verhaeghe, brown, bibeau....these kids are legit.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Great start for him. 3 assists in 3 games so far and one of the better D on the ice each night. Thought he'd be good, didn't know he'd be this impressive this quickly

snizzbone*

When a rookie dman forces a guy you just commit to long term, you know hes been having a good start.

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
I haven't had much of a chance to watch the full games.

He's obviously a high IQ heady D-man... how has he looked from a physicality perspective? How is his shot?

The physicality will definitely come with age I'm sure - he's only 21 - but any thoughts on whether or not these may be potential pitfalls for him?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

He's obviously a high IQ heady D-man... how has he looked from a physicality perspective? How is his shot?

The physicality will definitely come with age I'm sure - he's only 21 - but any thoughts on whether or not these may be potential pitfalls for him?

He moves the body when he has to, but he never was a physical dman. Not an issue in the least unless he runs from it, and he doesn't. As far as his shot, it's on target and can be easily tipped and usually low enough to bring about rebounds.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

He's not very physical, but has looked better than Gardiner or Rielly in my mind when it comes to winning puck battles. He's no bigger than them, but seems very effective at positioning his body, and rarely gets caught flat footed or beaten 1v1.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver

His shot is average, not really good or bad. His strengths offensively are excellent composure with the puck, really high hockey IQ, very good passing and good puck handling. Defensively it's all positioning, patience and stickwork. He's a pretty good skater in general, too.

I'd say his main weakness is physical traits in general. Not a particularly explosive athlete, average height, and definitely on the skinnier side. Suffered a bunch of injuries (including a couple concussions) the year after his draft, though has been healthy since. I do get nervous when I see him taking big hits, and I definitely think size/strength will be the #1 thing for him to work on. Not just for winning physical battles, but for simple longevity.

I used to think his upside was a solid 2nd pairing dman, but with him looking so solid in the NHL right away, I'm upping my hopes. Quite frankly, "solid 2nd pairing dman" looks possible for him within the next couple years, and he's only 21. I'm now thinking his upside is a Paul Martin level player, especially if he can pack on another 10-15 lbs, while a solid 2nd pairing dman would be more of an average/expected outcome.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
His shot is average, not really good or bad. His strengths offensively are excellent composure with the puck, really high hockey IQ, very good passing and good puck handling. Defensively it's all positioning, patience and stickwork. He's a pretty good skater in general, too.

I'd say his main weakness is physical traits in general. Not a particularly explosive athlete, average height, and definitely on the skinnier side. Suffered a bunch of injuries (including a couple concussions) the year after his draft, though has been healthy since. I do get nervous when I see him taking big hits, and I definitely think size/strength will be the #1 thing for him to work on. Not just for winning physical battles, but for simple longevity.

I used to think his upside was a solid 2nd pairing dman, but with him looking so solid in the NHL right away, I'm upping my hopes. Quite frankly, "solid 2nd pairing dman" looks possible for him within the next couple years, and he's only 21. I'm now thinking his upside is a Paul Martin level player, especially if he can pack on another 10-15 lbs, while a solid 2nd pairing dman would be more of an average/expected outcome.

I think your spot on with your analysis and I believe as he matures and gets bigger and stronger his weaknesses will become another one of his strong attributes.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada

Great description. Couldn't have said it better.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
I live in Mississauga, so I watched a few times when he was with the Steelheads and a couple of Marlies games as well. I thought he was going to be a smaller version of Carl Gunnarsson, but he's shown impressive offensive skills so far. His assists haven't been just cheap secondary ones where he just managed to touch the puck. He's led rushes and made pinpoint passes resulting in goals. He's not an explosive skater by any means, but very smooth and moves well laterally, a little bit like Tomas Kaberle. Don't want to hype him too much yet though.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Our best defenseman tonight. He pulled this headfake move in the 1st period to step around an Avs forward with the confidence you really dont see in a rookie very often

snizzbone*

That play in the 3rd period where he poke checked Duchene coming full speed at him, recovered the puck, dangled around a forechecker, and then sprung Kessel on a partial break was godly.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Havnt seen a kid jump so fast in the depth chart for Toronto in a long time.

People were wondering if Granberg, Finn and Percy would challenge Holzer for a possible 7th dman role and Percy looks to have jumped Gardiner and Reilly!?!.

It's early but I'm really not sure what to think. He looks like a budding #1 dman all of a sudden. Great on the PP, plays the PK, excellent 5 on 5.

Need a bigger sample size but he's been unreal so far....and somewhere Brian Burke is smiling. He was always pumping this kids tires.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
The guy has been a minute muncher for the Leafs.

23:34 in TOI tonight. That's 10 seconds behind Phaneuf for the team lead (in regulation)

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
This kid is just mindblowing. I thought he'd be a good top 4 guy. I thought he was a maybe to even make the team this year and I thought if he did, he'd be the 6th or 7th D. But Percy has been the Leafs best defenseman so far this season.

Completely unexpected that he would be this good this fast. Hopefully he keeps it up. If he does, the Leafs have something special.

snizzbone*

BareCompassionateIvorygull.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad