LD Stuart Percy (2011, 25th overall, Toronto)

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
D Stuart Percy - Mississauga Majors, OHL

Hey guys,

I'm intrigued by Mississauga defensemen Stuart Percy and I was wondering if anyone could give me some information.

Strengths? Weaknesses? NHL comparison?

From what I've read, he seems to think the game at a very high level. Has good size (6'1), average skater, and a good puck mover.

Any info you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I'm a fan of his. I've seen him from his Minor Midget days with the Marlboros.

He's a solid defensemen who doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes, but doesn't wow you at the same time. He thinks the game really well, but I don't see a lot of offensive game at the next level. At the minimum he'll be a very solid 5-6 kind of guy, which is solid value for where he's slated to go (ISS has him at 51st for NA skaters).

james30

Jan 13, 2010
Just so you know...as soon as you call a player solid they tend to drop in the rankings.

james30

Jan 13, 2010
I'm just saying anytime I read that a player is solid that player drops in the rankings!

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

He's a solid defensemen who doesn't make a whole lot of mistakes, but doesn't wow you at the same time. He thinks the game really well, but I don't see a lot of offensive game at the next level. At the minimum he'll be a very solid 5-6 kind of guy, which is solid value for where he's slated to go (ISS has him at 51st for NA skaters).

I think he's got a chance to be a bit better than that, but I do agree with your assessment.

He's one of those very quietly effective guys at both ends of the ice. But I think his offensive game does have a chance to blossom more as he gets more confident carrying the puck and running the powerplay. He seems to have a pretty high hockey IQ along with an at least adequate skill set. With some more seasoning, I think he could end up as a second powerplay unit kind of guy.

The other thing that I've really liked about his game this year, is the added physical element. Because he's one of those all around "solid" guys, it's important for him to stand out in other ways. He's pushing people around this year and you have to think that with added strength, that part of his game could become greater.

I think he's a solid pick in the second or third round.

Never

Can you hear me now?
Sep 16, 2009
Calgary
What's the general consensus regarding him? He's a cousin of one of my friends, and sadly I've barely watched him play, but I've heard he could be anywhere from a late 1st round pick to a 3rd-4th rounder. For those who see him play often, what do you think of him, and where do you believe he'll end up going in the upcoming draft?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I just love Percy's game. He's just so calm and collected in his own zone and, although hardly physical, he always seems to be at the right place and break plays with intelligence and an active stick, similar to what Lidstrom does. He also moves the puck out well by choosing the right play in the safe lane. I would seriously start looking at drafting him at pick 40 or so.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I just love Percy's game. He's just so calm and collected in his own zone and, although hardly physical, he always seems to be at the right place and break plays with intelligence and an active stick, similar to what Lidstrom does. He also moves the puck out well by choosing the right play in the safe lane. I would seriously start looking at drafting him at pick 40 or so.

Great description of his game.

Nothing that makes you go wow, but all facets of his game are in place. The type of D you'd have confidence putting out in any situation.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm really hoping he's around at #61 for the Oilers, but I could see someone else taking him in the 2nd somewhere.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Mississauga Majors, OHL
D (LHS) | 6'0" | 186 lbs | STATS
Born: May 18, 1993, Oakville, ON, CAN

CSS Ranking
Fnl: 53 | Mid: 51

Percy-AB78593.JPG

Solid M-Cup for Percy (4Pts in 5GP), anyone disagree?

IMO, he solidified Brock's third round assessment and possibly justified a second round selection for himself.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think he's my favorite prospect after the Memorial Cup Finals.. what a great player.

I want him at 31 or at least hope we trade up from our 3rd to get him.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Sounds like Aaron Johnson, who I've always been a fan of as a bottom pair guy.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Hey guys,

I'm intrigued by Mississauga defensemen Stuart Percy and I was wondering if anyone could give me some information.

Strengths? Weaknesses? NHL comparison?

From what I've read, he seems to think the game at a very high level. Has good size (6'1), average skater, and a good puck mover.

Any info you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

He's got a hot sister? Probably not what your looking for.

I really only know that some scouts/GM's are seeing him as a potential home run hit pick.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
watched him for 2 years now and night in night out was the majors best or 2nd best dman on the ice

great mem cup

smooth skater

great mind for the game and knows what to do when the going gets rough

to be honest id be surprised if he dosnt go in 1st or 2nd round.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Mississauga Majors, OHL
D (LHS) | 6'0" | 186 lbs | STATS
Born: May 18, 1993, Oakville, ON, CAN

CSS Ranking
Fnl: 53 | Mid: 51

Percy-AB78593.JPG

Solid M-Cup for Percy (4Pts in 5GP), anyone disagree?

IMO, he solidified Brock's third round assessment and possibly justified a second round selection for himself.

he *almost* seems like a Taylor Chorney clone, same size, same skill set.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
solid player, he is gonna play in the NHL although i dunno if he has higher than a 5th dman upside. he will be gone by the 45th pick i bet

Fearless Leaf*

Stuart Percy

Just wondering if any can provide some info or insight on how his game is going so far this season? How has the kid looked? Has he improved on any weak aspect of his game?

CoyotesHFNHL

May 30, 2010
He never really had any holes in his game. Minus maybe needing to add some upper body strength. He was good in every area of the game last year.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Decent all around dman. Living in western Canada, I haven't seen him play in person but he seems to get knocked off the puck a little bit too easily. Not 100% sure though.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I live in Mississauga, haven't been to a Majors game or watched it on TV lately but I have seen him play this season and he looks good. Looks like he can be at least a top 4 NHL dman good. Mind you it's always a risk with dmen who don't look strong, you have to hope that their hockey sense is good but Percy looks stronger as well. He is playing against usually younger kids but still....

One thing he has absolutely no problem with is puck poise. He can skate and pass it out of his zone without a turn over. Also since late last season (around the OHL playoff finals), he's shown more and more of an offensive side. He didn't really get to play much offense before cos of the other Majors dmen on the team last year but he jumps into the play more often now.

Overall, pretty excited for him coming to Toronto. I'm not great at scouting players though, I know he looks good but I can't tell if it's good enough to get into the Leafs top four anytime soon or how he'd compare to Aulie.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
Stuart Percy

A recent Leaf pick from the last draft,

I wanted to know if anyone had any updates on how he is doing and what a reasonable expectation for him in the future can be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad