LD Shakir Mukhamadullin (2020, 20th, NJD; traded to SJS)

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm merely trying to point out the weak argument made by one poster in regards to why Mukhamadullin was picked where he was. It was some kind of veiled shot at Schneider. I'm trying to say that it wasn't a good position to be taking that type of shot at another player when there's not been much good rationale used here for defending the pick that was supposedly better than Schneider.

I personally don't like Mukhamadullin or what he brings in his game. Didn't like him before the draft, and said so. Didn't like when I thought the Rangers took the American version in 2018, and have said so. I don't love the Rangers pick of Schneider either, but I also think it's questionable, at best, that he has lower upside than Mukhamadullin. The Devils probably think Mukhamadullin has big upside, and there were probably many teams that had a much lower grade on him, so I think how high his upside actually is, even if he's termed as boom/bust, is up for debate. Schneider might be low upside. Maybe, maybe not, but there's not much disagreement that he becomes at least a bottom pairing defensemen. With Mukhamadullin, can everyone agree that his upside is any better than that? I really don't think everyone can, so I think that needs to be pointed out when someone wants to take a veiled shot at Schneider about Mukhamadullin being picked instead because of this higher upside he supposedly has.

Generally though, we agree. I'm not trying to hold you or anyone in particular to the argument's of others or trying to be ultra-critical about Mukhamadullin past what I've said in the past. We'll see if the Devils get this one right.

As I suggested earlier I think this was the new GM’s vanity pick. Was it good? I have no idea. I don’t know if Schneider is good either. What I do know is these are young men who are barely beyond childhood. I wish them both the best. Hopefully fans of both teams can do the same. I can’t imagine how horrible it would be for any prospect to stumble on this site and read what is written about him by naysayers. It often gets ugly petty and personal. At the end of the day this is supposed to be entertainment not a referendum on one’s life based on how the team they root for does.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not sure where you're getting your scouting report. His puck skills are very good, his playmaking is quite good and offence relatively unquestioned. Watch his first KHL goal this year as an example. Also, his PPG in the MHL last year was incredibly high for a draft eligible, which came before his impact at the KHL level. His skating, strength and nastiness are also quite good - he was terrific against the US at the Hlinka. In terms of hockey sense and some positioning / choices - for sure - he has issues that could be his downfall. But his skill set relative to draw backs are very similar to other large and very skilled d-men like Shea Weber and Brent Burns. They figured it out later on. Not all do, so some risk for sure, but in terms of upside, it's right up there with any d-man in this draft. Just a higher risk quotient. In terms of upside, Schneider has some for sure, but I would agree it's a lower ceiling than Shakir.

That said, if you gave me the choice between the two, I'd probably take Schneider. Bird in the hand, as he'll be an NHLer for 12-15 years most likely and has a chance to be a cornerstone piece (albeit perhaps never an allstar). 50/50 Shakir is in the KHL in 5 years, because if his NA debut doesn't go well (presuming he continues to develop and comes over in a few years), it might be hard to convince him to put the time in to make it happen in NA. From what I understand his English is pretty minimal, and that is no small consideration in whether he'll play in NA in the long-term. He can be a multimillionaire in Russia, which might sound pretty good to him if compounded by culture shock and poor play for the Devils.

I didn’t get my scouting report from anyone. I’ve given my own opinion. Look around in this thread. And it’s been discussed for a year or two in some of these threads. Others have said similar to what I did.

It seems like you disagree. Fair enough. We’ll see how he turns out, but a general positive/negative view of the player also isn’t what was being discussed.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Maybe you are right about that and maybe not, but I don't think it's so clear that Mukhamadullin has the higher upside just because he's more frantic, while Schneider is more steady.

Muk is frantic at the disco. Just out of curiousity, where would you rate Schneider's frantic on one of those handy 20-80 scales hockey writers seem to love now?

I rate Muk like this:

Skating: 55
Hockey Sense: 45
FRANTIC: 80
Passing: 60
Shooting: 70

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I didn’t get my scouting report from anyone. I’ve given my own opinion. Look around in this thread. And it’s been discussed for a year or two in some of these threads. Others have said similar to what I did.

It seems like you disagree. Fair enough. We’ll see how he turns out, but a general positive/negative view of the player also isn’t what was being discussed.
Upside was being discussed, and your assessment of his lack of certain skills was inaccurate IMO. The offence is clearly there, both on the eye test and statistically. That is why I chimed in.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

I mean, it’s clearly a divisive pick. Whoever that originally quoted guy is has apparently been very vocal about his dislike for Shakir’s game. If you search Shakir’s name in Twitter, that Jokke guy immediately has three separate of the “top” listed tweets.

There are also scouts and analysts that are less overdramatic and believe Shakir has the toolset to be a top 4 or even top pairing defenseman if he puts it all together. Guys like Pronman and Wheeler have acknowledged the risk involved in the pick but at the same time had good things to say about his game as well. Obviously the Devils scouts have scouted and studied his game and believe that the reward is worth the risk.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean, it’s clearly a divisive pick. Whoever that originally quoted guy is has apparently been very vocal about his dislike for Shakir’s game. If you search Shakir’s name in Twitter, that Jokke guy immediately has three separate of the “top” listed tweets.

There are also scouts and analysts that are less overdramatic and believe Shakir has the toolset to be a top 4 or even top pairing defenseman if he puts it all together. Guys like Pronman and Wheeler have acknowledged the risk involved in the pick but at the same time had good things to say about his game as well. Obviously the Devils scouts have scouted and studied his game and believe that the reward is worth the risk.
I sincerely hope he works out for the Devils

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Devils obviously drafted for position and given that they did that, they got one of the better guys available. People wouldn't be as militant about them drafting Barron at #20 or Wallinder but I think I'd rather have this guy than Barron. Don't know enough about Wallinder but he looks like he might be further away from the NHL and Devils want someone who can come in sooner.

Helps that the Devils have a nice little 'Russian' (not sure if there's a blanket term for Russian+Belarussian+etc.) core of players+prospects. Gusev joined partly because of the endorsement by Yakovlev. Okhotyuk, Misyul, Gritsyuk, Sharangovich, and Maltsev will all get a shot at the NHL.

I feel like the Devils are (in part) cultivating an image as a safe landing zone for KHL players who might be reticent about making the change to the NHL.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
sadly only Primary assists count in KHL so this one won't count. But Shakir made a good play, yes.
I'm looking at KHL boxscores now that list 2 assists on goals, do they just not include the 2nd one in stat totals or something?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The KHL only counts primary assists. Look at their website for example and you will see that on this goal they did not give Shakir an assist since it was a secondary assist.
He's had secondary assists this season, for example against Vityaz. Do you mean they award secondary assists differently?

upload_2020-10-15_12-55-32.png

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
The KHL only counts primary assists. Look at their website for example and you will see that on this goal they did not give Shakir an assist since it was a secondary assist.
Has not been the case for a long time. In the old Russian Super League I think they didn’t count secondary assists but KHL counts them, possibly right from the start of the league.

Reactions: Blender

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
At what point do we stop ignoring the production?

Let's pump the brakes here, the KHL is a high scoring league and it's very common for 18 year old defensemen to get significant ice time and score lots of points, especially if they're incompetent defenders and run around the ice putting themselves out of position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad