LD Sean Behrens - USNTDP, USHL (2021, 61st, COL)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Behrens was one of four 17's promoted to the 18's. He's an undersized offensive defenseman. He's a very good skater and has above-average skill and playmaking. He's capable of running a power-play, as well. Defensively, I've seen better at his size and also seen worse. His size will be a question at 5'8, but it's not so much of a question that he won't get consideration to be drafted in the top few rounds. I would say Behrens reminds me of a better version of Dom Fensore from the 2019 draft. He's a little taller, but similar game.

Sean Behrens at eliteprospects.com

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good player. I have him at 24 going into the season. Not a lot in his game not to like. He’d go higher if he was taller, but even as a sub 5’10 defensemen, he can be a first rounder.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
After reading some reviews of him that were different from what I had seen last season and early this season, I began to think I might've been evaluating his game incorrectly. I want to revise my opinion slightly.

This guy is a really good playmaker with great hockey sense. His edges are also excellent. He's very skilled for a defenseman and will run a PP. I think he's about as good defensively as you can be for a 5'8 defenseman. Other than the physical element, defensively he's excellent. I am starting to question his skating speed. It's good, but as a 5'8 defenseman, you'd like it to be elite.

There's so much here in his game to like, but very small and not an elite skater is a combo that often yields busts. If he's not a first rounder, I understand why. However, I would gamble on taking this guy late first.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Behrens was played into the ground early in the tournament and it showed tonight. Got waaay too much ice time. I feel like he was on the ice for every single goal scored against the Americans. Not a great showing.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not a great night for him or many of the American skaters to be sure. I too was particularly bothered by the dive at the end of the second.

It seemed like too many players were interested in doing their own thing and there wasn't a lot of symmetry or purposeful play to the US team.

Luc Poitras

Feb 21, 2019
Quite disappointing. My observations - and this is an issue with almost every US team - they just didn't have enough talent to overcome it this year. 1. too much individual play - need to play as a team in these tournaments to win. 2 - there is NO defense - too much emphasis on points vs playing the right way. Everyone (including the D) were more interested in running up ice vs making the simple play.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Behrens was played into the ground early in the tournament and it showed tonight. Got waaay too much ice time. I feel like he was on the ice for every single goal scored against the Americans. Not a great showing.

I put a lot of it on the coach though. Here's an example that encapsulated the problem.

USA scores a goal late on to make it 4-2 with a few minutes left. The team had played very poorly to that point, and you should be rewarding the players on the ice who scored as opposed to putting your top players back out there. Instead of putting the 6 back out there who were on the ice (USA had pulled the goalie), the coach puts five of the six back out there, yet includes Behrens who wasn't on the ice for the goal. The coach tried to run Behrens and Schmidt into the ground. They both were terrible. And Hreschuk wasn't much better. The coach didn't want to make adjustments. That's what you get.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Behrens didn't just have a tough game, he had a disappointing season. He didn't build on his U17 season much, and took a step backward in areas, too. He's still an interesting prospect, but he needs to rebound next year. He was exposed being asked to play a top role instead of playing second fiddle to Luke Hughes.

Reactions: Luc Poitras

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Behrens didn't just have a tough game, he had a disappointing season. He didn't build on his U17 season much, and took a step backward in areas, too. He's still an interesting prospect, but he needs to rebound next year. He was exposed being asked to play a top role instead of playing second fiddle to Luke Hughes.

Agree completely. Schmidt really carried that pairing the second half of the season. I like smaller dmen who pack a punch but there are a bunch in this class, including Ufko whom I think is the better prospect.

I think both Behrens and Hreschuk suffered from trying to make up for Hughes, but Hreschuk is the better defender overall.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I think you may be right. I wonder how much he benefited from playing with Hughes. Playing with a dominant defenseman, at times, can make a small but talented defenseman look a lot better than he is when he’s tasked with carrying his own defensive pair.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Owen Power, Luke Hughes and Aidan Hreschuk are notable defensemen playing in the NCAA or USHL this season. Another name that needs more recognition is Sean Behrens. The left-handed, undersized defenseman deserves more recognition for what he has provided his teams this season. Here is what he can bring to the table for whichever team elects to draft him in July.

Behrens, born March 31st, 2003, is a left-handed defenseman, as mentioned earlier. Standing at 5’10” and 176 pounds, the Barrington, IL native has been ranked all over draft boards. He’s been ranked as early as 22nd by Elite Prospects and as late as 57th by Bob McKenzie. Meanwhile, I have Behrens ranked 23rd in the 2021 draft class. Despite his notable smaller stature, Behrens found success in the USHL, scoring four goals and adding 14 assists for 18 points in 23 games with the USNTDP. In the U18 World Juniors with Team USA, who shockingly didn’t medal, Behrens recorded four points in five games.

Sean Behrens Prospect Deep Dive - Last Word On Hockey

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Sean Behrens was one of the top offensive defencemen for the U.S. National Team Development Program Under-18 Team this season. He put up seven goals and 28 assists for 35 points in 46 games. Behrens was named an alternate captain for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. He scored one goal and three assists for four points in five games at the tournament. Unfortunately, the American team disappointed on home ice, getting eliminated in the quarterfinal.

In 2019-20 Behrens scored six goals and 31 assists for 37 points in 45 games for the Under-17 team. He also played in six games for the Under-18 team scoring a goal and two assists for three points. Behrens helped the American team to a silver medal at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He put up one goal and seven assists for eight points in six games. Behrens made the Tournament All-Star team. He also led all defenders in the tournament in both assists and points.

Behrens is committed to playing NCAA Hockey for the University of Denver Pioneers next season. Should he change his mind and opt to head down the CHL route, his rights are owned by the OHL’s Sarnia Sting.

2021 NHL Draft #38: Sean Behrens Scouting Report

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's a good player. He may have went in the first round without that U18 tournament. Not all his fault though. The usage was terrible, and a lot of players on the team also struggled.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Really like the pick even with all the digress towards him. Plays like a smaller McAvoy, but I also see some Spurgeon in his game and might need some seasons to pack on that frame to see how he truly wants to play. I do think his mistakes aren't necessarily a lack of intelligence or skill, but that he tries to force the play at times for the sake of a speedy transition to offence. With some coaching I think he'll grow out of that type of junior game, but he's going to one of the best strength/conditioning coaches in the country and that's more important to him making the NHL than anything else. Even with the problems, this is a very good pick considering where the Avs got him.

Reactions: Richard88

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Not many defensemen go at a PPG clip in their D+1 in the NCAA. Recent examples include Adam Fox and Zach Werenski. Kind of surprised there is not more talk about this guy. How has he looked this season? Is he the product of his team?

Reactions: MaKarter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad