LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Assigned to Marlies.

Now Sandin-Liljegren can develop some chemistry as a pair. I wouldn't be surprised to see them as next year's bottom pair.

Be a hell of a pair for Sweden to just slot into their team at the WJC too. Not many teams have a ready made pairing playing together all year.

He's been assigned to Marlies camp for now. Once camp comes to a close they will decide if he is going to stay with the Marlies or go to the OHL/SHL.

Decision hasn't been made yet.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Be a hell of a pair for Sweden to just slot into their team at the WJC too. Not many teams have a ready made pairing playing together all year.
Good chance Canada brings Woo-Brooks who play together under Team Canada's head coach Tim Hunter in Moose Jaw.

I'd also be a bit surprised if the Leafs put Sandin-Liljegren togeather full-time. I would sort of expect Sandin to be with someone like Loverde.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Very good camp from Sandin, very impressed with his poise while under pressure. If he can develop into a solid middle pairing Dman within a couple of years that would go along for the Leafs contending window. As of now the Leafs need to turn that d core over with the exception of Mo and Dermott.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Don't think Sandin should have been rushed into the Marlies, but to be fair in his pre-season games he looked very steady and veteran like. We'll see, but rushing a player into the minors rarely ever works out well. OHL/Rogle would have been a better option

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Worked out for Lindholm, and seems to be the same for Liljegren.

I like the aggressiveness. I was a big fan before the draft because he seemed like a guy you could put in an NHL lineup the day after the draft. I suspect he's going to kill it in a sheltered role.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Worked out for Lindholm, and seems to be the same for Liljegren.

I like the aggressiveness. I was a big fan before the draft because he seemed like a guy you could put in an NHL lineup the day after the draft. I suspect he's going to kill it in a sheltered role.

Lindholm was a 6th overall pick. Would have likely made it either way.

I get the sense that Liljegren would have benefitted from playing somewhere else. Sweden is the way to go for young D's who can't make their NHL roster, best track record by far. Rögle would perhaps not have been the ideal spot though.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Lindholm was a 6th overall pick. Would have likely made it either way.

I get the sense that Liljegren would have benefitted from playing somewhere else. Sweden is the way to go for young D's who can't make their NHL roster, best track record by far. Rögle would perhaps not have been the ideal spot either though.

Although I'm not too familiar with Rogle, I wouldn't be thrilled with either one of Tim or Rasmus playing there. Looking briefly through their history, it doesn't seem like they've developed anyone of note other than Liljegren and Elvenes. The ice-time I'd hope they would get would be nice though.

Personally though I like Sandin staying on the NA ice. I like him being 10 minutes from where the Leafs play, I like Sheldon Keefe coaching him, and honestly we have such a strong swedish contingent down there already.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Although I'm not too familiar with Rogle, I wouldn't be thrilled with either one of Tim or Rasmus playing there. Looking briefly through their history, it doesn't seem like they've developed anyone of note other than Liljegren and Elvenes. The ice-time I'd hope they would get would be nice though.

Personally though I like Sandin staying on the NA ice. I like him being 10 minutes from where the Leafs play, I like Sheldon Keefe coaching him, and honestly we have such a strong swedish contingent down there already.

Kenny Jönsson was a top-5 defenceman in the world during his peak years. He came from Rögle.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I would rather trust Sheldon Keefe to develop him then whoever would coach him in Sweden to be quite honest.
Yeah Sweden has a bad rep developing Ds... or something...

AHL is good for learning the pace on smaller icesurface. But for full allround development, Sweden aint a bad place.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yeah Sweden has a bad rep developing Ds... or something...

AHL is good for learning the pace on smaller icesurface. But for full allround development, Sweden aint a bad place.
I never said anything about Sweden developing D. I just prefer him staying with Sheldon Keefe. There are bad situations everywhere. Hell the Leafs sent Nylander to Sweden his D+1 and had to pull him out of there midseason because it was a trainwreck.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I never said anything about Sweden developing D. I just prefer him staying with Sheldon Keefe. There are bad situations everywhere. Hell the Leafs sent Nylander to Sweden his D+1 and had to pull him out of there midseason because it was a trainwreck.
You are right , bad read from my part.
Yeah that was a bad Modo team. I understand prefering him on Marlies getting to know the system and everything around. Just saying SHL wont hurt him if getting enough minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad