LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
First 3 mins of the video, and all I really see is him getting beat. Forwards seem to just brush past him.

Note: not hating on him, I really liked this pick and have been hyping him for months pre-draft. But he does have a lot to improve on in letting players breeze by him. Reminds me of phaneuf in that aspect.

Okay no offense at all here but are we watching the same video?

The forward lose the puck everytime as Sandin plays a decent gap and if he decides to step up and put the guy down there's more of chance for interference.

I didnt see any instance in the first 3 min where the forward just slipped by. Especially when you're not 6'5, just make sure they don't cut to the middle, win the puck back and outlet pass to forwards which is what happens.

Completely different than the Bouchard video.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I say this in no kinda way, but this is a great time to illustrate based on the last few posts that "do you even watch games?" Is not the right question to be asked. It's probably better as: do you understand what you're watching?

Because clearly I'm interpreting the game a hell of a lot differently than the penultimo poster here...so whether he's out to lunch or I'm turning the gun on myself here, you can see, even slowed and loosely-diagrammed, folks might not come to the same conclusion...

Madic

May 21, 2008
That's part of the fun of hockey! Moving parts, man.

I can see why he went where he did. No big shot, no extra burst through the neutral zone, smallish frame. But a lot like the Stu Percy pick (hopefully this works out better), somebody liked how he processed at speed. Good edges too.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
That's part of the fun of hockey! Moving parts, man.

I can see why he went where he did. No big shot, no extra burst through the neutral zone, smallish frame. But a lot like the Stu Percy pick (hopefully this works out better), somebody liked how he processed at speed. Good edges too.

Hockey sense is his best attribute and that's not the type of thing that often jumps off the screen. No loud tools that scream star, but the team is better when he's on the ice.

Last edited:

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
First 3 mins of the video, and all I really see is him getting beat. Forwards seem to just brush past him.

Note: not hating on him, I really liked this pick and have been hyping him for months pre-draft. But he does have a lot to improve on in letting players breeze by him. Reminds me of phaneuf in that aspect.

Are we watching the same video? Only time someone "breezes by" is when Sandin splits the D and scores :dunno:

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Are we watching the same video? Only time someone "breezes by" is when Sandin splits the D and scores :dunno:
1:04
1:25 again gets behind, but i get that the other partner was there to stop the fwd.
2:45

And yeah I get in all these instances the play was still safe, but when I look at it, I see how these type of plays would translate at the NHL level. I feel like his foot speed lets him get beat. It's definetley one of his weaknesses but he is a really smart player, so hope it works out for him. I've watched Sandin play a lot, again, he was one of the players I wanted the leafs to draft so there's no real hate towards him lol

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
1:25 again gets behind, but i get that the other partner was there to stop the fwd.

And yeah I get in all these instances the play was still safe, but when I look at it, I see how these type of plays would translate at the NHL level. I feel like his foot speed lets him get beat. It's definetley one of his weaknesses but he is a really smart player, so hope it works out for him. I've watched Sandin play a lot, again, he was one of the players I wanted the leafs to draft so there's no real hate towards him lol
1:04 - he had a tight gap and forced his man to pass, his d partner/forward were no where to be seen in support
1:25 - ok maybe, but regardless his partner and he separated the man from the puck
2:45 - maybe a poor decision to step up, missed a hit (I'll give you that one), but still used his stick well to separate the puck prior to the missed hit

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

I think it's that you said all you see in Sandin getting breezed by. No mention of his gap control, the nice passes, him splitting the D etc. etc.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I think it's that you said all you see in Sandin getting breezed by. No mention of his gap control, the nice passes, him splitting the D etc. etc.

awh yeah, thats not what I mean't, my apologies, he's a great player, if you go to page 1-2 you'll see my fawning over him LOL

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
So let's tackle them...education isn't brought about by dissemination, it's about conversation, right?

1:04 - As I diagrammed in the video. There are very clear cut responsibilities here. The most responsibility, if you will, falls on the strong side player always. Most other players only represent 1v1 matchups or single zone situations. Sandin couldn't play this any better really. The pass, which I believe he just ticks a little bit, and it crosses two lanes in a situation like this (statistically, this is very unlikely to succeed) and remains onside. This is very clearly on the backchecker in the wide lane. Sandin can't do much more than what he did. He made the game very predictable for his teammates, and a forward coming back loses his man and everyone has to scramble to do the backchecker's job for him. Sandin mitigated risk to the best of his ability there, there's almost nothing that could be reasonably done beyond what he did there.

1:25 - I could see a case for him drifting about 12 to 18 inches too wide there, I can definitely buy that. But he has confidence in taking a risk because there is so much help back and he has a partner that has proven to read off him well and will provide necessary support. So, I coach at the collegiate level and sometimes some of my less experienced players will ask me about our forecheck, particularly the role of F1. Now, the way I explain it and a lot of coaches explain it is: F1 you're on the puck, you're first man in and you're on the puck. I've learned that that actually needs to be a little bit more granular. Because you say it in those words, F1 believes they have to get the puck. But that's not truly the intention. That's nice...that's a, what, 1 in 200 shot? 1 in 500? 1 in 1000? So I've taken to a new way of explaining it in two parts: 1. show what's going on behind F1. Only really smart players understand what's going on behind them. Use video, use the board to show what happens when you (F1) react the way that you do and what it represents. 2. Talk about making the game predictable. My players are probably sick of hearing me say this, but "make the game predictable for the next guy"

Bounce a soccer ball to me, I'll catch it 99 or 100 times out of 100, right? Bounce a football to me, Jesus, I don't know, 15 times out of 100? 22? I have no idea.

If I'm Sandin, I don't mind setting up a little outside (it's not a trend, he never sets up there in even-or-worse scenarios) because I have interior help, I can trust that a cut to the middle from a player of this caliber (this isn't Svechnikov, ya know?) will gain a negligible return between me and my partner. Now, if that's a center skating backwards there, maybe it's a little different, right? Maybe I can't trust that, and I better play it as a 1 on 1. Sandin sets up there because he believes it's 1 on 2 and he doesn't want that player to gain territory, burrow into the corner and then get help via the time gained on a tie up/board battle. If Sandin sets up on the normal line, he allows the gutter of the rink to the attacker. The attacker is not good enough to beat Sandin inside if he's 18 inches over. So he'll get to the boards, he'll get to the corner and he'll the incubate puck until it hatches. Meanwhile, here come fresh Spitfires, and maybe this thing becomes a cycle play now...maybe they have more than two in the attack zone now, right? It's gonna happen. They're gonna bring more than two if the puck is tied up on the kickplate. So why bother? We have both our defensemen ready and poised on the strong side, the only other relevant player on the surface is completely covered. Let's just shut this down now, don't let it fester.

2:45 - I mean, this is really just perfection in my book. He limits time and space, leads with his stick...stick disrupts and removes the puck from the attacker and then he gets a hip into him to knock him off stride. Watch closely...the puck just takes a random bounce back right into his path off of the attacker's knee and ends up in a reasonable spot to continue the attack. That's about as good a defense as you can play though, circumstantial events like bounces will occur...if he does this 100 times, he's a smaller Vladimir Konstantinov, he's gold. That's great defense. Stellar.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He would make a good pairing with Liljegren in the AHL. He's eligible since he was not contracted to an OHL team last year.

Reactions: Morgs

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Or he goes to Sault St. Marie since they drafted him

There's really no reason for Sandin to go back to the OHL. THe AHL and SHL are far better options for him and since he doesn't fall under the CHL-rule, there's really no reason he should go back. I think it will be either Rogle or the Marlies for Sandin.

edit: Hey, een Nederlander haha. Leuk man.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
There's really no reason for Sandin to go back to the OHL. THe AHL and SHL are far better options for him and since he doesn't fall under the CHL-rule, there's really no reason he should go back. I think it will be either Rogle or the Marlies for Sandin.

I think he will stay in the SHL to improve, he only played 5 games so far in the SHL and was not dominant enough. The AHL is a big step, but if Liljegren can do it (even though he played more games in the SHL and was ahead of Rasmus when drafted), I don't see why Rasmus can't make the next step in 2 years time.

He could make it to the 2019-2020 AHL season, but right now the SHL is the place to develop him.

PS: Cool, een Nederlandse ijshockeyfan, die zie je niet vaak! :)

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hockey sense is his best attribute and that's not the type of thing that often jumps off the screen. No loud tools that scream star, but the team is better when he's on the ice.
This is how I see him as well.
I think he's going to be a good 2nd pairing dman who the coach sends out to hold a lead in the final minutes of a game.
And if you can get that with the 20+ pick, you're laughing.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
you don't always have to be flashy to be effective, no idea how he will turn out but i kinda liked him and was hoping he slipped to the 2nd round!

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Like Boqvist, Sandin just isn’t ready for the AHL yet, despite being eligible.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
What a strong showing by Sandin tonight. His first NHL pre-season game and he looked solid. Sandin-Liljegren pair was definitely the best pair for the Leafs tonight.

I was pleasantly surprised to see some edge in his game. I didn't know he had that. Stepped up in the neutral zone regularly to deliver a hit.

Had some strong shots from the point off of some one timers from Liljegren as well.

All in all, good first showing.

Reactions: Critical91

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad