LD Rasmus Sandin - Rogle BK, SHL (2018, 29th, TOR)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I agree with your stylistic comparison, but he's actually extremely good defensively. it's his offense that needs more work
Ive watched Sandin a lot because I thought he might be a target for the Rangers in the draft and I haven’t seen anything from him to call him “extremely good defensively.”
Had him at 46 in my final rankings. There’s nothing that jumps out to me about Sandin other than his IQ which is actually pretty good. My issue is that his skating/size combo is going to be hard to utilize defensively when he gets to the NHL unless he improves it by a lot. I think he rounds out as a solid 4D, if it helps I have liked him a tad more than I did last season

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
So 4 PTS in 4 GP.......I haven't seen any Marlies play but points aside, how's he looking for anyone who has gotten to watch?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
So 4 PTS in 4 GP.......I haven't seen any Marlies play but points aside, how's he looking for anyone who has gotten to watch?

Better than advertised!

He looks great in his own end (not perfect, but is 18) he seems to always make the right plays, closes gaps well, active stick and good positioning in general. Has a decent offensive game, comes with the high IQ.

Small sample size, but I really like him, and with only being 18, the future seems to be bright.

Maybe one of the better picks in the draft quite easily.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
3 goals, 5 points in his first 6 games.

Also looking pretty comfortable out there.

Always looks so poised for an 18 year old, even when playing in a new league. Hard not to get excited about this kid.

FWIW Scott Wheeler of the Athletic just ranked him as the #1 Leafs prospect.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Ive watched Sandin a lot because I thought he might be a target for the Rangers in the draft and I haven’t seen anything from him to call him “extremely good defensively.”
Had him at 46 in my final rankings. There’s nothing that jumps out to me about Sandin other than his IQ which is actually pretty good. My issue is that his skating/size combo is going to be hard to utilize defensively when he gets to the NHL unless he improves it by a lot. I think he rounds out as a solid 4D, if it helps I have liked him a tad more than I did last season

That's strange, I have almost the opposite viewpoint. I don't see enough offensive talent to be a true #1, but I think he can be a Stralman type top pairing dman. I haven't enjoyed watching a cerebral type dman in our system in a while and it's a breath of fresh air. Dermott I thought had better tools, but also was a bit wild at times in Erie then again in Toronto. Sandin plays a much quieter and calmer style, and the play just seems to die on his side in the Marlies defensive zone.

I guess what I should say is #4 seems like a tempered outlook. I could see if, I mean he still has quite a ways to get there. However I think there is more potential there and I wouldn't be surprised if he's our 2nd or 3rd best dman in a few years.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
3 goals, 5 points in his first 6 games.

Also looking pretty comfortable out there.

Always looks so poised for an 18 year old, even when playing in a new league. Hard not to get excited about this kid.

FWIW Scott Wheeler of the Athletic just ranked him as the #1 Leafs prospect.

Completely agree with this sentiment, glad people are starting to give him some recognition.

His edges, IQ and confidence are so rare for an 18 year old in the AHL. Looks so much like a younger Stralman. Without even considering his points, because he likely won't sustain PPG, this guy is as close to a sure-fire top 4 D as you will find. Smart, willing to battle physically, quick decisions with the puck, rarely makes mistakes, and a beautiful skater.

Terrific value pick in the late 1st.

Reactions: bukwas

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I thought he was a solid pick who was at best a #4 dman. He’s playing exceptionally well and exceeding expectations

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
He's a far better player than I thought. Definitely making me feel dumb for being underwhelmed on draft day.
You were underwhelmed? I honestly thought he was going to be gone by top 15, you can check the 2nd page of the thread. I was so happy we got him. He was my guy :D

Reactions: LeafChief

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
You were underwhelmed? I honestly thought he was going to be gone by top 15, you can check the 2nd page of the thread. I was so happy we got him. He was my guy :D
I ranked him at 16 so I was shocked the Leafs managed to trade down and still get him

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I see he's doing well points wise. Can somebody speak to how he's handling his defensive responsibilities against pro's?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Solid pick by the Leafs. I think this will be a draft riser in redrafts and will tear up the league when he arrives. Solid prospect, hope for him he keeps on this path...

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Marlies are on TSN right now if anyone wants a look at Sandin and co. He just had a real nice rush but missed the top corner.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Marlies are on TSN right now if anyone wants a look at Sandin and co. He just had a real nice rush but missed the top corner.
Just added an assist, slap pass for the high-tip deflection.

Not out of the norm for him, he looks fantastic every night it seems. So much confidence to go with a non-stop motor. Best d-man on the ice tonight.

Reactions: bukwas

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I didn't like the pick at the time, but I'm changing my tune now after catching some Marlie games in the last few weeks (the only pick I really hated though was the Durzi selection- as I could have named about 5-6 guys I wanted instead). Not because it's convenient because I'm a Leaf fan, and it's easy to be optimistic, but he's seriously impressive in the low-event sense. Incredible hockey IQ and game-sense, timing (particularly defensively), gap-control/stick work and has excellent edges.

His acceleration is lacking for a smaller PMD but I don't think it matters that much with how great his edges are, he doesn't lose speed on his edges whereas a lot of poor afoot skaters do- and he has an excellent first pass outside of the zone. In this regard, as a prospect, I was projecting too much of what I wanted him to be as a smaller defenseman instead of appreciating his strengths.

I called him a rich man's Carrick at some point because he I didn't think he was a good PMD, which I considered a necessity for a player of his size and stature (particularly since he struggled with 1-on-1 battles or size mismatches in junior)....and didn't have great acceleration. But he's the polar opposite of Carrick defensively, and in terms of timing/hockey IQ.

It was a poor comparison in hindsight. He's a lot more similar to Dermott/Morrissey, Stralman, or on the high-end, Vlasic.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
Really impressed by this kid not flashy but makes the right choice in every situation, heads up crisp zone passes to tape.
Smooth skater and abundance of hockey iQ.

would love him in the sabres next to (rasmus)2
:D nylander + ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->